+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 49

Thread: Admit your biased pick here, don't lie

  1. #11
    FORT Newbie VoteForTayNTori's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    36
    Taylor and Tori were voted in not only because they are sisters but because America voted them in. America wants to hear and see them perform. You are insulting the voters when you say they are "nasaly" and have nothing "unique". I think they ARE in fact unique and extremely talented along with a good portion of the voters.
    ~ That is my biased opinion and I know there are many out there who agree with me
    TAYLOR AND TORI ROCK!

  2. #12
    FORT Fan
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    262
    Quote Originally Posted by VoteForTayNTori
    Taylor and Tori were voted in not only because they are sisters but because America voted them in. America wants to hear and see them perform. You are insulting the voters when you say they are "nasaly" and have nothing "unique". I think they ARE in fact unique and extremely talented along with a good portion of the voters.
    ~ That is my biased opinion and I know there are many out there who agree with me

    Sorry if I insulted anyone...this thread asked us to give our opinions.

    Okay, I'm an open-minded person...tell me, as a fan of theirs, what is so talented and unique about them?

  3. #13
    FORT Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    8
    I apologize for criticizing a contestant, if this qualifies as criticism. I disagree that Lucy is the best singer. In 2 of her first 3 performances during the finals, Debbie Gibson told her that she had several problems with pitch and that she need some fine tuning to her voice. The fact that she gave this constructive criticism to Lucy means that Debbie thinks that Lucy has talent and can improve, which is a good thing.

    Danielle, however, has been flawless in all of her performances, and I imagine will always be flawless. Even though she sang a Taylor and Tori type of song on Tuesday, it was perfect.

    Lucy does have a powerful voice, but I don't think that is what alone makes a great voice. Other things such as pitch, timing, and not improvising with the music are more important.

    Another fact is that Danielle is 11 and Lucy is 13, which is significant.

  4. #14
    FORT Newbie VoteForTayNTori's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by poeticjustice
    Sorry if I insulted anyone...this thread asked us to give our opinions.

    Okay, I'm an open-minded person...tell me, as a fan of theirs, what is so talented and unique about them?
    It's alright. I was just giving my opinion as well. I'm not insulted personally, I just think that America votes for what they like and they obviously did not have the same impression.
    To answer your question....
    Taylor: Can sing hair-raising ballads, plays the guitar, and can write music, not to mention has more rythm than any 11 year old I know. She may be quiet and calm, but when she gets on stage, she gets the crowd excited to be there with her.
    Tori: Her love of being in the limelight is contagious and draws you into her performaces. When given material she loves...WATCH OUT! She can harmonize beautifully, dance with the best of them and has a very powerful voice that with vocal lessons (you think Mariah didn't have coaches), she will knock it out of the house.

    Just wait.....watch.....and see

    Of course, this is my biased opinion.
    TAYLOR AND TORI ROCK!

  5. #15
    FORT Fan
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    262
    Quote Originally Posted by VoteForTayNTori
    It's alright. I was just giving my opinion as well. I'm not insulted personally, I just think that America votes for what they like and they obviously did not have the same impression.
    To answer your question....
    Taylor: Can sing hair-raising ballads, plays the guitar, and can write music, not to mention has more rythm than any 11 year old I know. She may be quiet and calm, but when she gets on stage, she gets the crowd excited to be there with her.
    Tori: Her love of being in the limelight is contagious and draws you into her performaces. When given material she loves...WATCH OUT! She can harmonize beautifully, dance with the best of them and has a very powerful voice that with vocal lessons (you think Mariah didn't have coaches), she will knock it out of the house.

    Just wait.....watch.....and see

    Of course, this is my biased opinion.


    Okay, I haven't seen it yet, but I will certainly give them the benefit of the doubt and watch and see.

  6. #16
    FORT Fan
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    324
    Quote Originally Posted by bamfs
    I apologize for criticizing a contestant, if this qualifies as criticism. I disagree that Lucy is the best singer. In 2 of her first 3 performances during the finals, Debbie Gibson told her that she had several problems with pitch and that she need some fine tuning to her voice. The fact that she gave this constructive criticism to Lucy means that Debbie thinks that Lucy has talent and can improve, which is a good thing.

    Danielle, however, has been flawless in all of her performances, and I imagine will always be flawless. Even though she sang a Taylor and Tori type of song on Tuesday, it was perfect.

    Lucy does have a powerful voice, but I don't think that is what alone makes a great voice. Other things such as pitch, timing, and not improvising with the music are more important.

    Another fact is that Danielle is 11 and Lucy is 13, which is significant.
    I may be missing something here but, Debbie criticized Lucy? From what I remember, Debbie has been nothing but complimentary towards Lucy. You are right that Lucy had some minor problems vocally, actually with all of her first 3 performances...but I don't remember the judges ever pointing it out.

    And I have to disagree with you when you say that Lucy isn't the best singer...I say that Lucy is the best singer hands down. Lucy may not have been flawless (i.e. Danielle), but look at her song choices...week after week, she's been singing songs that these other kids wouldn't dare attempt. Danielle (who I love as well...but simply isn't quite as talented as Lucy) may have been pitch perfect, but she's picked songs that sat well within her vocal range, and shown very little versatility.

    The thing that stands out to me about Lucy is her CONTROL...yes, she has had some minor control problems if you want to go there, but her control is at least a notch above any other contestant...and for her to deliver controlled performances of "Get Here," "I'm Gonna Make You Love Me," and "Breaking Up Is Hard To Do" at age 13 is just amazing. Vocally, this girl is a phenom. I think what may be keeping her out of the group is her awkward stage presence and not so outgoing personality.

    As far as Danielle being 11 and Lucy 13, so what? It's not like Danielle will develop Lucy's power in 2 years.
    Last edited by TheTruth; 07-25-2003 at 05:13 PM.

  7. #17
    Morgan's Future Wife LovingMorganB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    With Morgan Burke at all times
    Age
    27
    Posts
    154
    Quote Originally Posted by EricaAlexis
    My biased opinion is I like Danielle. I've always hated when people oversing, so that's part of the reason I like Danielle. Also, I like that she's not as bubbly and perky as the rest, I don't know why I like that about her, but I do. Maybe it's because I'm shy..
    Actually, I've heard from people that she is the most hyper out of everyone there!!


    Anyway, my biased pick is MORGAN BURKE!! I love him sooo much.. his range, power, personality, dancing, stage presence, good looks, EVERYTHING!
    - Always And Forever Loving Morgan Burke

    Morgan fan site!

    Street Team!

  8. #18
    FORT Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    8
    TheTruth,

    I believe Lucy should be in the group. Put another way, if Lucy doesn't become part of the group, then there shouldn't be a group.

    Debbie Gibson criticized Lucy on 2 different weeks, regarding pitch and needing some ajustments to her voice. I didn't record the programs. I am sure there are other people here who can vouch for me. I wouldn't have written about Debbie's criticism, knowing that many other people watched and even recorded the programs. If I am wrong about 2 weeks, I apologize, but I know she criticized Lucy about these topics at least 1 week.

    Regarding Danielle's selections, they have been the most difficult of all of the competitors. "Close to You," "Good Morning Starshine," and "Colors of the Wind." Danielle's selections are ones that can't be "belted out." Even Tuesday's "The Locomotion" was exquisitely performed. The judges told Danielle that her song selection didn't do her voice justice, and maybe they didn't praise her because they were surprised by the selection or were distracted by her movements on stage. I listened to her mp3 today, and it was truly good. i don't think anyone could have sung "The Locomotion" as well as Danielle.

    I haven't listened to Lucy's mp3s, but now you have encouraged me to listen to them. My impression of Lucy is that she relies too heavily upon using maximum power and may improvise with the music.

    Song selection could become irrelevant if the rules were modified and everyone had to sing identical songs, not during the same week but within a 5 week period. The audience might get bored, but there could be a comparison among the 10 contestants.

    Finally, I read that Danielle's favorite song to perform is "Hero." This seems to be the same type of song that Lucy has tended to sing. It would be neat if Danielle could sing it during the final week.

  9. #19
    FORT Fan
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    262
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTruth
    I may be missing something here but, Debbie criticized Lucy? From what I remember, Debbie has been nothing but complimentary towards Lucy. You are right that Lucy had some minor problems vocally, actually with all of her first 3 performances...but I don't remember the judges ever pointing it out.

    And I have to disagree with you when you say that Lucy isn't the best singer...I say that Lucy is the best singer hands down. Lucy may not have been flawless (i.e. Danielle), but look at her song choices...week after week, she's been singing songs that these other kids wouldn't dare attempt. Danielle (who I love as well...but simply isn't quite as talented as Lucy) may have been pitch perfect, but she's picked songs that sat well within her vocal range, and shown very little versatility.

    The thing that stands out to me about Lucy is her CONTROL...yes, she has had some minor control problems if you want to go there, but her control is at least a notch above any other contestant...and for her to deliver controlled performances of "Get Here," "I'm Gonna Make You Love Me," and "Breaking Up Is Hard To Do" at age 13 is just amazing. Vocally, this girl is a phenom. I think what may be keeping her out of the group is her awkward stage presence and not so outgoing personality.

    As far as Danielle being 11 and Lucy 13, so what? It's not like Danielle will develop Lucy's power in 2 years.


  10. #20
    FORT Fan
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    324
    Hey bamfs:

    Read below for my responses...

    Quote Originally Posted by bamfs
    TheTruth,

    I believe Lucy should be in the group. Put another way, if Lucy doesn't become part of the group, then there shouldn't be a group.

    Debbie Gibson criticized Lucy on 2 different weeks, regarding pitch and needing some ajustments to her voice. I didn't record the programs. I am sure there are other people here who can vouch for me. I wouldn't have written about Debbie's criticism, knowing that many other people watched and even recorded the programs. If I am wrong about 2 weeks, I apologize, but I know she criticized Lucy about these topics at least 1 week.
    I've been watching the show pretty closely, and I am positive Debbie has not said one negative thing about Lucy...if anything I think Debbie has been too complimentary, and Debbie's comments about Lucy's potential to go solo could ultimately keep Lucy out of the group.

    Here's what I remember of Debbie's critiques:
    Get Here- "You're already good enough to be a solo artist."
    I'm Gonna Make You Love Me- "(same as previous week...some drivel about how Lucy should be a solo artist)"
    Make it Easy on Yourself- "You are a great singer...not just for a junior, but for any age"
    Breaking up is Hard to do- "You hit every note. America should vote for you."

    Quite frankly, I'm not going to even bother listening to Debbie's comments anymore. This past week, it was quite apparent that she didn't have the heart to give criticism and she was willing to let obvious flaws slide (not regarding Lucy...but for several other contestants).

    Quote Originally Posted by bamfs
    Regarding Danielle's selections, they have been the most difficult of all of the competitors. "Close to You," "Good Morning Starshine," and "Colors of the Wind." Danielle's selections are ones that can't be "belted out." Even Tuesday's "The Locomotion" was exquisitely performed. The judges told Danielle that her song selection didn't do her voice justice, and maybe they didn't praise her because they were surprised by the selection or were distracted by her movements on stage. I listened to her mp3 today, and it was truly good. i don't think anyone could have sung "The Locomotion" as well as Danielle.
    Danielle's selections have been difficult...but a different type of difficult than Lucy's. Danielle and Lucy have voices that really can't be compared. Danielle is graceful, Lucy is powerful. I guess it's just a matter of preference.

    As far as judging who is a better singer, I think in a competition like this, you want to find someone who can sing anything. To me, Danielle has a beautiful soprano...but she has to sing songs in a high key to be effective (nothing wrong with that). But Lucy on the other hand...she showed off her range and rhythm in "I'm Gonna Make You Love Me" and she's showed off her power and control in the 3 ballads. That's more versatility than I've seen from anyone else. No, Lucy probably wouldn't have sounded great on Danielle's songs and vice versa...but Lucy has proven more versatile throughout her song choices, which is all we have to judge by.

    Quote Originally Posted by bamfs
    I haven't listened to Lucy's mp3s, but now you have encouraged me to listen to them. My impression of Lucy is that she relies too heavily upon using maximum power and may improvise with the music.
    You should definately do that...because I think Lucy has a wonderful recording voice. On TV, she has kind of an awkward vibe about her that might keep her performances from translating as well. Other than an uncontrolled performance of "Make it Easy on Yourself," she's sung the songs the way they were meant to be sung and avoided the trap of oversinging.

    BTW I love Danielle and have been supporting her throughout this competition...and I see in your posts that you know what you're talking about. I just wanted to make a point that if we are judging this competition on voice only, Lucy is the best singer.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.