+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Things That Bug Me About Clay

....QueenP's still thinking......

Welcoming the world Mr. Bunbury's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by srs_in_Oregon
    i guess i dont get the point of this whole board....so clay fans have a reason to put clay down??? why think about what we dont like when its so much fun to dwell on what we do...why isnt there a " things that bug me about ruben" board or any other contestant???? i guess i just dont get it
    So that we don't put him on a pedestal and do remember that he is human and has faults. Besides, it's all tongue-in-cheek -- we can show the "why are they so clazy" head-scratchers that Clay fans have a sense of humour as well.

i started this board as a totally tongue in cheek thing...not all meant to be put-downs...i think clay is the bomb, but the orange face paint they used on him early on-- i hated. i want to see clay continue to soar...but i'd like to see him in something other than striped, untucked shirts...

not putting down, just BSing around...shooting the breeze...

Okay......this whole thread completely reminds me of a comedic bit done by comedian Dom Irrera about backhanded compliments:

He says this is an example from a friend of his:
    "You know......you're cousin's an ugly, good-for-nothin', low-life, fat...rat..bastard....but-I-don't-mean-that-in-a-bad-way. I mean, he's a scanky, low-life weasel, but I don't mean that in a bad way."

Anyhow, he says his cousin says this kind of thing all the time, but then follows up with, "but I don't mean that in a bad way" to make it okay.

Just think this is funny enough to share (well, not as funny as it is live)! I'm NOT implying anything about this thread! See the laughing smilies? See? See? Shazzer's kidding around!

Big hugs! and Big laughs
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

i guess i dont get the point of this whole board....so clay fans have a reason to put clay down??? why think about what we dont like when its so much fun to dwell on what we do...why isnt there a " things that bug me about ruben" board or any other contestant???? i guess i just dont get it
    "Things I don't like about Ruben" was covered in every after show thread, results show thread, Ruben's own thread and every early version of the Clay thread.

The majority of the people who have posted in this thread are Clay fans, and I find it interesting to see what things people who have always really supported him don't like so much about him.

I would suggest that anyone who bear to read anything negative about him just not read this thread.
    "That's Numberwang!"

FORT Regular
    I get the impression that this thread is all done in good spirit. If this thread keeps growing, yes, somewhere down the line there will be a bashing troll, but they are usually pretty obvious enough that you can ignore them. I think of it as celebrating the human qualities in clay and in all of us for that matter. It's fun to see comparisons about what one person may think is annoying and another doesn't. For example, I keep hearing about Clay's RRRR's and I guess I'm not annoyed by it because I don't know what people are talking about. Can you give me an example of a word? In OTWOL I heard love, not lurve. His MEEEEs do make me wince sometimes, as in DLTSGDOMEEEEE.

Think of this thread as a challenge to clay fans. Are you willing to accept clay for his faults (minor as they are now) and possible mistakes he may make in the future? His career is just getting started you know.
    Clay's imperfections don't really bug me at all but I do worry about him because he says things like "I don't want to do anything I wouldn't want my kids to watch" and "some people in the public eye don't necessarily give the greatest example" (from the Cnn headline news interview).

Don't get me wrong, these are fantastic and very true philosophies. More power to him if he can live up to it and be a good example. But they also tend to give the impression that he's going to be perfect. I'm sure he's aware that people make mistakes but it may come across differently to people by the way he words his philosophies and the manner in which he says them. I point this out because I saw the same interview with my aunt and thought there was nothing wrong with it. My aunt who is neutral, though, thought he seemed to be acting like he was perfect. I do like that he is brave enough to say what he thinks and hope the critiques don't stop him from being himself.

Ruben on the other hand tends to play it too safe and that is the only thing about him that really "bugs" me and I would argue for a "things that bug me about Ruben" thread too even though that does go on alot on ruben threads already just so we can pinpoint what it is. Ruben ain't no perfect teddybear either, but he gets treated like he is sometimes- particularily during the show IMO.

.... and he is awesome. debi5475's Avatar
    The only thing that bugs me about Clay is the top botton on the suit. Unbutton it Clay. Only the middle one should be buttoned. Course he could unbutton everything, I would really like that
    On, and I love Ruben and Kim L. also. But Clay is something beyond normal.
    I haven't figured it out yet. Besides the X factor.
    While they were busy trying to find a pop star they knew how to market, they uncovered a true American Idol. Cissy Hartley

Look What Love Has Done ClaysAngel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spikebebop
    For example, I keep hearing about Clay's RRRR's and I guess I'm not annoyed by it because I don't know what people are talking about. Can you give me an example of a word?
    Listen to his AI performance clip of Open Arms. You'll hear it in "Arrrrrrrms", "Togetherrrrr", "Aparrrrt", etc... Funny thing though is that it isn't nearly so pronounced in the version he did on his demo CD. I also didn't hear it so much in his later performances. Perhaps the voice coach worked on this with him.

FORT Regular
    Last night, before I even knew this thread existed, I watched a few seconds of the Canadian concert. What is the deal with his shirt being tucked into his pants in the front but out in the back?? It seemed very contrived to me.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by korndog
    Last night, before I even knew this thread existed, I watched a few seconds of the Canadian concert. What is the deal with his shirt being tucked into his pants in the front but out in the back?? It seemed very contrived to me.

It probably was done just for his fans.... on the radio interview prior to the show, the "shirt tug" was mentioned and he giggled and said it was brought to his attention (not sure of exact wording) as to what sort of reaction that brought to the ladies in the audience.

The thing that bugged me about Clay during the show was the number thing with his hands and the "please" - I was always yelling at the tv telling him to "stop that". Bugged me when the others did it as well.

+ Reply to Thread