+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fox Wanted Lucy Over Chantel & Got Screwed

FORT Fanatic
    Simon liked Carmen at first. During the first several episodes, he praised her. When the bad talent was gone, and he realized how bad she really was, he only had one choice but to get rid of her. So he decided not to like her. Believe me, my mother and I sat in amazement as he praised her. I watched and heard with my own eyes and ears.

As far as not believing they fix shows--I think I've seen they don't have to. The public already believes they do, so they don't have the need to. They can get by simply on assumptions.
    Congratulations Tori and Taylor!

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Dani321
    Simon liked Carmen at first. During the first several episodes, he praised her. When the bad talent was gone, and he realized how bad she really was, he only had one choice but to get rid of her. So he decided not to like her. Believe me, my mother and I sat in amazement as he praised her. I watched and heard with my own eyes and ears.

As far as not believing they fix shows--I think I've seen they don't have to. The public already believes they do, so they don't have the need to. They can get by simply on assumptions.
    I just don't understand what they are getting by on? How is that getting by at all? Why would any show want people assuming that they fix the show for ratings? We will never know for sure if shows are or aren't fixed.

FORT Fanatic
    Which is exactly what I said. There will never be a book and there will never be a movie that gives you a "behind the scenes look". I still think Fox could care less. That's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it. In the scheme of things, how much of a ratings boost are they really going to get from this show?

Exactly. I'm finished with this thread too. Sorry.
    Congratulations Tori and Taylor!

Quote Originally Posted by YeahYeah
    I'm not saying they're rigging or cheating on anything. I'm saying that they have in mind who they want in the group; and will take advantage of their market research to do so.
    I agree. They do have in mind who they want from market research. And I can't say either that they are rigging things or not, but I believe it does happen. Maybe it's happening on this show, maybe not. ofcourse if they are, then we'll never know cause ofcourse that kind of stuff, they won't admit. The outcome of a wrestling match are already predetermined, but many people still watch it cause they don't know who's going to win and it's entertaining.

YeahYeah, I'm with you about the show being produced in such a way as to influence the voters. Anybody who followed AI2 learned that. By the end of the show, Simon Cowell admitted it. There is no reason to think that the same thing would not go on in AJ. In fact, it would be stupid for them not to do it, because they have a vested interest in the outcome.

Perhaps it would help the discussion if we properly defined "them." FOX does not produce this show, and doesn't make the decisions about it. American Juniors is produced by Freemantle and 19TV, both television production subsidiaries of BMG. They also created a subsidiary called American Juniors Productions, Inc, that handled the audition process. The children who make the group (and their parents) will enter into contracts with 19E, a talent management subsidiary of BMG, and will sign a recording contract with a recording company that is also a subsidiary of BMG.

So everybody involved in the production of this show is trying to do 2 things - produce a television show that gets high ratings AND create a group that BMG can make money on. For the purposes of having a show with high ratings, they want America to think they are choosing the group so they watch every week and vote. For the purposes of having a successful group, they want to influence America so that they choose a group that BMG make lots of money with. (Notice I didn't say who will made the best sounding music)

FOX does NOT have a vested interest in the outcome. They air the show as produced. They DO care about the ratings, though, and about keeping Freemantle happy, so they can continue to air AI in the future.

I find watching AJ just to look for attemped manipulation of the voters a lot of fun. You are correct about the selection of the last singer not being a coincidence. People do remember the last singer more. But it could just be that they picked whoever did well during rehearsals; you never want the last thing people saw of your show to be a mediocre performance. So far, they have ended with Katelyn, then Tori, then Taylor, and now Lucy.

Far more telling, to me, is the fact that the writers chose to have Ryan repeat a negative comment from the judges about Chantel. They could just as easily have chosen a positive one. Song choice is probably the most important thing about each performance, and Chantel's songs have been atrocious. Maybe after all her votes last time, they tried to change things.

The most obvious piece of attempted manipulation (after the whole Thompson Sisters Show thing, which, I hope, has passed) was that staged bit with the girls for AJ. They must really want him in the group badly. Remember, they have seen all the votes, and it's possible AJ was in danger of not getting in until then. And it looks like it worked.

Another thing I noticed is how they did the recap at the beginning of the show last night. For the first time, they did not show each kid singing. They showed pictures of everybody, but we only heard Jordan, Danielle, Chauncey and AJ sing again. Could it be they are who 19E is pushing now? And could the fact that Tori and Taylor have already been voted in be having an influence on who BMG now wants in the group?

It's all just speculation, but it's a lot of fun.

BTW, it has already been announced that Simon Cowell has accepted a $2 million advance to write a book that will include a "behind the scenes look" at AI, but since he is an admitted liar, I'm not sure what we will be able to believe. It will probably sell a zillion copies, though.

Quote Originally Posted by zippy
    YeahYeah, I'm with you about the show being produced in such a way as to influence the voters. Anybody who followed AI2 learned that. By the end of the show, Simon Cowell admitted it. There is no reason to think that the same thing would not go on in AJ. In fact, it would be stupid for them not to do it, because they have a vested interest in the outcome.

Perhaps it would help the discussion if we properly defined "them." FOX does not produce this show, and doesn't make the decisions about it. American Juniors is produced by Freemantle and 19TV, both television production subsidiaries of BMG. They also created a subsidiary called American Juniors Productions, Inc, that handled the audition process. The children who make the group (and their parents) will enter into contracts with 19E, a talent management subsidiary of BMG, and will sign a recording contract with a recording company that is also a subsidiary of BMG.

So everybody involved in the production of this show is trying to do 2 things - produce a television show that gets high ratings AND create a group that BMG can make money on. For the purposes of having a show with high ratings, they want America to think they are choosing the group so they watch every week and vote. For the purposes of having a successful group, they want to influence America so that they choose a group that BMG make lots of money with. (Notice I didn't say who will made the best sounding music)

FOX does NOT have a vested interest in the outcome. They air the show as produced. They DO care about the ratings, though, and about keeping Freemantle happy, so they can continue to air AI in the future.

I find watching AJ just to look for attemped manipulation of the voters a lot of fun. You are correct about the selection of the last singer not being a coincidence. People do remember the last singer more. But it could just be that they picked whoever did well during rehearsals; you never want the last thing people saw of your show to be a mediocre performance. So far, they have ended with Katelyn, then Tori, then Taylor, and now Lucy.

Far more telling, to me, is the fact that the writers chose to have Ryan repeat a negative comment from the judges about Chantel. They could just as easily have chosen a positive one. Song choice is probably the most important thing about each performance, and Chantel's songs have been atrocious. Maybe after all her votes last time, they tried to change things.

The most obvious piece of attempted manipulation (after the whole Thompson Sisters Show thing, which, I hope, has passed) was that staged bit with the girls for AJ. They must really want him in the group badly. Remember, they have seen all the votes, and it's possible AJ was in danger of not getting in until then. And it looks like it worked.

Another thing I noticed is how they did the recap at the beginning of the show last night. For the first time, they did not show each kid singing. They showed pictures of everybody, but we only heard Jordan, Danielle, Chauncey and AJ sing again. Could it be they are who 19E is pushing now? And could the fact that Tori and Taylor have already been voted in be having an influence on who BMG now wants in the group?

It's all just speculation, but it's a lot of fun.

BTW, it has already been announced that Simon Cowell has accepted a $2 million advance to write a book that will include a "behind the scenes look" at AI, but since he is an admitted liar, I'm not sure what we will be able to believe. It will probably sell a zillion copies, though.
    Excellent post!

FORT Regular
    Dani, you seem to think you are an expert on this whole show! I think the judges persuade the viewing public by their comments and I believe that 19E is giving them most of their comments.

FORT Frosh
    Rumors will be rumors, and simply that. We'll never know the truth, because there will be no behind the scenes movie or book to tell you.
    Who says there won't be such a book? It'll be a huge seller.

Although I could care less about a book written by Simon.
    Last edited by RockyColorado; 07-18-2003 at 12:47 PM.

FORT Frosh
    If Fox has manipulated the results for ratings, that would be implying that they're are "using" Tori and Taylor to boost the ratings. If they really thought that Tori and Taylor were so good for the ratings AND if they had any power to manipulate the results, they would keep Taylor and Tori from getting into the group so early...let them keep performing for another few weeks, then have them be the 4th and 5th member of the group.
    Manipulating the results and influencing the voting are not the same. The influence was obvious with Thompsons.

The main point of the first post of this thread was that the producers of the show were trying to influence the voting, but didn't get the results with Lucy. The last performing slot had been the money position, up until this week, as said.

Canada *I wish Quebec but Ontario for now*
    hey guys whose 19E???

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast