+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Would Taylor be in the group if Gladys was judging?

FORT Fan

Would Taylor be in the group if Gladys was judging?

Okay...I hate to dig up old topics and I know I said I don't want to hear anymore about why the Thompson sisters don't deserve to be there (I still don't)...but there's one thing nobody pointed out...

Would Taylor have gotten first chair if Gladys was judging? Remember...Gladys Knight was mysteriously absent during the 1969 week.

So far, Gladys has shown that she is the only judge willing to take down any of these kids (Canyon Grove, Tyler Foehr, Jordan McCoy). And she has done it in such a tasteful manner that I've gained alot of respect for her. Also, I've noticed that when the other judges are TOO COMPLIMENTARY, making a decent performance seem like a star-making performance, Gladys will jump in with a negative criticism to try to sway the vote.

I have a feeling that Debbie and Mary Wilson's compliments put Taylor over the top. They did make some good points- that Taylor showed alot of personality and that she kept up with a very fast track...but this performance was SO flawed...here are a few of the problems I had with it:

1) Proud Mary is totally the WRONG song for an 11 year old to sing. You can say that about several of the song choices, but ESPECIALLY this one. This song is about a woman trying to get past the struggle. I have a hard time believing Taylor singing "Left a good job in the city/Working for the man every night and day."

2) Taylor sounded like she had absolutely NO IDEA what the song was about. She didn't accent any of the words to convince me that she really understood the words rather than simply memorized them.

3) What happened to her voice from The Shoop Shoop song? I really loved the sound of her voice in her first performance...it was very unique. It sounded like a completely DIFFERENT girl singing Proud Mary. She was singing the song in TOO HIGH of a key, and ended up sounding younger than her 9 year old sister.

I don't want to make it seem like it was a bad performance...it was just okay, but it didn't stand out in my mind. I thought it was 7th best of the night...and it certainly wasn't good enough to win her 1st chair.

And how many people actually predicted that Taylor would get 1st chair? Most of us were shocked...I thought Tori had a better chance.

I have a feeling that if Gladys was there, she would've pointed out some of the flaws...and we would have seen Chantel (who gave the best performance that week IMO) as 1st chair, which would've changed things for week 2 (especially because Tori was a little off last week). Oh, what could've been...

Go Adria and Natalie! CaNaDiAn FaN's Avatar
    I think she would've regardless of the judges opinions because the judges don't vote america does and most people in america dont care about what the judges say because thet is their opinion

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by CaNaDiAn FaN
    I think she would've regardless of the judges opinions because the judges don't vote america does and most people in america dont care about what the judges say because thet is their opinion
    The judges don't vote...they INFLUENCE...and if the judges give a negative critique of a performance, America will listen. If Gladys simply slipped in a "you're capable of better" in a critique of Taylor, I seriously doubt Taylor would be first chair.

The judges have a tremendous amount of influence...a perfect example of this is Chauncey and AJ getting into the top 3 and Chantel (who supposedly had a larger fan base) being left out. I have never seen the voters go against the grain except for season one of AI...and that was just to despise Simon. Whether they realize it or not, voters are influenced by the judges.

Quote Originally Posted by CaNaDiAn FaN
    I think a lot of americans do get influenced by what the judges say, especially in a competition where it's tough to choose with lots of kids that could be good in this group. If two contestants are neck and neck, any negative comments can sway the vote to other person.

FORT Fanatic
    um....yes
    Congratulations Tori and Taylor!

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTruth
    The judges don't vote...they INFLUENCE...and if the judges give a negative critique of a performance, America will listen. If Gladys simply slipped in a "you're capable of better" in a critique of Taylor, I seriously doubt Taylor would be first chair.

The judges have a tremendous amount of influence...a perfect example of this is Chauncey and AJ getting into the top 3 and Chantel (who supposedly had a larger fan base) being left out. I have never seen the voters go against the grain except for season one of AI...and that was just to despise Simon. Whether they realize it or not, voters are influenced by the judges.
    The judges comments have EVERYTHING to do with the votes!!!! Why do you think they have them, they probably tell them what they want them to say, IMO

FORT Regular
    Yes, the judges have the capability to destroy whomever they choose to...and it works.

FORT Fan
    Also, I would like to add that Gladys is doing a FABULOUS job as a judge! They need to get her a full-time gig on AI...she can replace Paula.

And Debbie is also doing a pretty good job as well...I think she goes overboard in her complements...but she made so many good observations last week (i.e. Tori going sharp, the song let Chantel down, Danielle has a Karen Carpenter type quality, Jordan improved her pitch)...I found myself agreeing with her throughout almost the whole show.

I still think they could've easily taken AJ down as he just sounded very awkward singing in the falsetto...if they had mentioned that, I don't think he would've made it into the top 3.

But overall...these judges are doing such a fantastic job! Especially considering that they are judging kids...not too many people would have the heart to do this.

+ Reply to Thread