+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Talent Over Image...Please!

FORT Fanatic
    Also, if Chauncey gets in...someone please gag me before I start to hear all the lame jokes about a potential "From Chauncey to Tori" movie.
    hehehehe. But why do I think it would make more money than it's predecessor?
    Congratulations Tori and Taylor!

FORT Regular
    The show fell apart in the very first week of competition. I don't think that the producers had the format down yet, or they would not have let go of so many of their best voices. I think they originally had in mind a group of the best voices, but had to re-focus when America dismissed so many of them. With what was left in the top ten they just did not have the talent pool left to make it a group of 5 amazing singers.

So now image is suddenly more important and safer to use as the basis for the band. Also, my bet is that they originally had in mind a band of the older kids who had enough talent to market up towards teenagers and adults. Now they have been forced to change gears and look towards little kids who don't care what the band sounds like as long as everyone seems cute and fun.

Two mistakes were made which I hope would be corrected if they ever did the show again. First, it was too wide of an age difference to leave things up to the public. There is no way of comparing a 9 year old to a 13 year old because you can't use the same criteria on both. 2nd mistake, and the biggest was letting America vote off 10 from the top 20. The judges and/or producers should compile the top 10 competitors, and bring in the public voting later. Also, it would be interesting if for one of the preliminary shows the original 20 had to sing the same song (Star Spangled Banner?) like they would at other auditions so a realistic comparison of voices and ranges could be established. Just a few thoughts.

Star Spangled Banner? You would have to pick one of the most difficult songs ever written, wouldn't you? LOL. But you bring up an interesting point. When auditioning for a group it is customary to have everyone sing and dance the same number - they did that at the auditions with "One Step Closer." They just didn't show us that whole process. Perhaps they should have done something similar when they asked people to vote. I know that my votes would have changed if I had been able to see the group number BEFORE voting instead of after.

And I agree that they didn't have a good idea of what they wanted in a group. If they had, they would have done a better job of communicating that to the media and the audience. Even the people who showed up for the auditions didn't know that their kids would have to dance. Many people thought this show would be a younger version of AI. Letting America decide the direction for this group is a bad idea.
    Last edited by zippy; 07-18-2003 at 07:44 AM.

FORT Regular
    I forgot that they all did One Step Closer. They should pull those tapes and show America what each of the top 20 did with it. I bet it would be an eye opener. I mentioned Star Spangle because it is difficult and familiar. At least 10 of the top 20 could have done a respectable job with it. But I dare say, it would not be the 10 that we have now.

FORT Fan
    I recently heard from a "source" that they originally wanted all of the top 30, or 33, for the show-they wanted them all-but didn't have enough episodes.

I read many of you saying they made a mistake, but did they really? If they are going for the best talent, yah, I'd agree to a degree, but it's obvious the image and who they think they can package and sell to kids are higher on their list, so in essence, to the record label, I doubt Tori and taylor are far from a mistake to them.

THese are kids, and they will be marketed towards kids, so being the best singer isn't a high criteria, as long as they can market the right image and catchy tune, they will make it. Kids won't be sitting in front of their tv's, while shoving down a cheeseburger, discussing to their other friends how great the singers vocals were, they will be like, "Ooohh, check out her clothes" or "so and so is soooo cute!!" or "I want to learn that dance move, too, yay!!"

Look at Hillary Duff, her voice wouldn't even make the final 20, but with the exposure of her show, and the Disney Empire pulling out all the stops to shove her down our throats from tv to magazine to radio advertisements, her making it big time was no surprise.

Look at Aaron Carter, he admitted he couldn't even make it as one of the contestants on Star Search, and he is one of the biggest teen solo acts out their today. Not only in the usa, but in other countries. I'm sure all the kids that did beat him out to get on star search had much better vocals, but Aaron had the better marketing and packaging and image. Again, another example of vocals not even being near the top of the list of criterias for someone to make it huge.

These are just two from the top of my head, I'm sure I can think of others.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by yahright
    I read many of you saying they made a mistake, but did they really? If they are going for the best talent, yah, I'd agree to a degree, but it's obvious the image and who they think they can package and sell to kids are higher on their list, so in essence, to the record label, I doubt Tori and taylor are far from a mistake to them.

THese are kids, and they will be marketed towards kids, so being the best singer isn't a high criteria, as long as they can market the right image and catchy tune, they will make it. Kids won't be sitting in front of their tv's, while shoving down a cheeseburger, discussing to their other friends how great the singers vocals were, they will be like, "Ooohh, check out her clothes" or "so and so is soooo cute!!" or "I want to learn that dance move, too, yay!!"

Look at Hillary Duff, her voice wouldn't even make the final 20, but with the exposure of her show, and the Disney Empire pulling out all the stops to shove her down our throats from tv to magazine to radio advertisements, her making it big time was no surprise.

Look at Aaron Carter, he admitted he couldn't even make it as one of the contestants on Star Search, and he is one of the biggest teen solo acts out their today. Not only in the usa, but in other countries. I'm sure all the kids that did beat him out to get on star search had much better vocals, but Aaron had the better marketing and packaging and image. Again, another example of vocals not even being near the top of the list of criterias for someone to make it huge.

These are just two from the top of my head, I'm sure I can think of others.

You make good points, (except I think Hillary is there because she is an incredible actor). But you are right-guess we were just hoping for a TALENT competition, like AI.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky
    You make good points, (except I think Hillary is there because she is an incredible actor). But you are right-guess we were just hoping for a TALENT competition, like AI.
    Wishful thinking...

FORT Fan
    I have never heard Hillary Duff or Aaron Carter sing...and I don't really care too...I'm much too old for that. But what's the point of putting out a product that has ALREADY been filled in the marketplace? If there are already undertalented kids singing cheesy pop songs out there, what's the point of putting out another group?

Even though these kids may be young, I personally wouldn't mind buying and listening to a Chantel Kohl, Lucy Hale, or Danielle White CD. However...if the group becomes some manufactured bubblegum kiddie pop stuff...forget it. I think alot of adults here are with me that they actually would support a kid group if the music is credible. I really think they could be making a mistake if this becomes a generic kiddie pop group (especially when they found some amazing singers).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123