+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Clay as "God" in the aftermath of AI2

FORT Fan
    Just wanted to point out Ruben hasn't gone platinum yet - gold is also a very significant achievement for a single.
    And I'm glad you are happy with the responses on this thread, nausicaa, I thought the same thing - that this topic might get ugly.
    Also, wanted to add that I feel just like abrahammy, I can understand why some fans are so clazy, but am personally not into worshipping Clay or anyone, especially in the entertainment arena. HOWEVER, it CAN be said that Clay is popular NOT just because of a TV show. It's his genuine character, along with those pipes of his, that has drawn so many fans - some that haven't even listened to pop music lately. We get to see ourselves (or what we want to see in ourselves) in Clay because he is more like us than the popstars that were manufactured (instead of born) and their hip image forced onto us. Why should we get so excited over a "product" of the music's marketing ploy, that is just trying to sell us something else we don't need/want, when we can get the real thing (or something more moral) from Clay who seems to go against the mainstream in a good way?
    Clay is not just talented in his technique but he also has a knack for conveying his soul to us through his voice - we get to hear that "I might not have had a perfect life so far, but that's just fine with me, I'll survive" mentality (much more refreshing than Eminem, I might add). Clay is a pop culture phenomenon and there is hope that his fame and good fortune will last as long as people can identify with him, simply put.

ETA that I agree with MattyBravo that Simon was not trying to be unfair to Clay, (EL and Grease weren't exactly what would be describe as outstanding in pop performances) there really wasn't anything he could do to harm Clay for that matter, if anything, Simon's critiques help him more. Clay was leading the competition as they probably knew he would from the beginning and the so called Clay-bashing was mostly flamed from the fact that Ruben wasn't being fairly judged, but this was done just to keep the competition close.
    Last edited by ldmarie; 07-18-2003 at 04:21 PM.

hi guys, now i get to put my 2 cents in...did i hear an Oh No from the stands??
    ive said many times why i am a proud clay fan..this is all IMO so dont think im using it as fact
    1. Clay has an awesome voice! I dont get obsessed with singers very easily...they have to be really really good, and im not just saying that. im a writer, so i focus on lyrics, and dont really care about the actual singer. Even the biggest critics dont deny that clay has a wonderful voice, you can say broadway, or disney, but the point is..thats not a diss...if you said 'clay's voice sucks" that would be a diss, but to say he could be on broadway, what a compliment! Many great singers have had there stint on brodway.
    2. i look at magazines today and all over the place there's singers who arent people you can look up to. I look up to Clay, but he did that to himself...i never ever expected him to be good neccessarily, but he said himself that he would never do anything that he wouldnt want his own kids watching, he talks about church and God all the time..he wants to be different in the music industry. if I read in a magazine that he was caught soliciting a prostitute or something yes Ill be dissapointed, just as im dissapointed when i read about someone takind drugs, or caught cheating....because i never ever think that those things are ok, or dismissed because your human. I will forever listen to Clay's music, and i will support him continually for many many years to come, but i wont look up to him if i find out that he did something that i dont agree is right...maybe im just to conservative, but i dont care if your a celebrity..or not...clay is good, im sure of it, and he's ok with being looked up to...he can be different, and in my heart i believe he is.
    3. He's caring....the way he talks to kids, the way he looks into people's eyes when he's singing, the way he wanted to be the first to see his best friends face when he won, the way he wouldnt get out of his limo at the after party till ruben got there cause it was time for his friend to shine. He cares about people...you can tell. how often do you see someone who, regardless of what might happen sticks his hand outside of a car window to wave at his fans, even though they might take the poor guys arm right off...giving money to charity...all this is gives me reason to believe that there is good in the entertainment industry.

I know this got long guys, but i just want you guys to understand why we like clay so much. Maybe the underdog factor feuled the fandom, but we saw interview clay, concert clay and normal clay....and we "fell in love"
    sure im still young enough to get butterflies when i see pictures, and gush in extent every chance i get....my obsessivness might die down, but you better believe that i will buy his first album, his second and so on...
    ok, sigh...theres my thoughts..please dont attack me too much
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

Regarding Clay's so-called oversinging: On his demo CD's, he does not put in glory notes, nor hold out notes forever, nor end with a big finish on most of the songs (unfortunately, because I love that!). But AI was a =competition,= a place to show what you can do. If you've got it, what better place to flaunt it?! BOTW was really over the top, and I didn't care for the arrangement. But seeing as how it was his last performance, he used it to showcase his range and variety of styles all in one song. That's my take on it anyway. He's certainly capable of toning it down.
    "You're not getting accurate judging. You're not." -- Simon Cowell

I have been debating for a few days now whether or not to post in this thread....
    First off, my name is meant to be tongue-in-cheek. Although I AM a huge fan of Clay's, rabid I am not (sorry to disappoint anyone)
    I am more on the level of abrahammy. I bought 2 copies of his single, though. One for my daughter. I never wrote an actual fan letter. Or a complaint letter to the FCC. But I always voted the entire 2 hours for him, never missed a performance, and I have everything memorialized on videotape. I splurged and bought 2nd row seats for the show on Wed. night. And it was worth EVERY penny. After seeing him up there on that stage, I can honestly say that there is something truly MAGICAL about Clay. He has such charisma. Charm. Sparkle. He connected with the ENTIRE audience in every way. And because I was up so close, he connected with me in a very personal way.
    I honestly can't pinpoint the reason WHY I became so infatuated with this guy. His voice, of course. His personality, sure! His ugly duckling to swan transformation, yeah that too! (Although I never thought he was ugly, just geeky). But like I said before, for me, it's this intangible, inexplicable thing...something "magical", for lack of a better word.
    And much to the dismay of my husband, my infatuation doesn't seem to be alleviating now that the show is over.

Somehow, when it comes to Clay, I don't think the show will EVER be over.....
    In dreams and in love there are no impossibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by abrahammy
    I will begin by stating that I am not one of the really crazy ones.

I bought one single.
    I did not write the FCC to complain about the results.
    I have never written him a fan letter.
    I do not intend to throw panties at the concert.
    I do not fall over in a dead faint at the mere suggestion that he might have had sex with somebody some time.
    I never, repeat never, envisioned Clay with angel wings.
    Your whole post was very well thought out. The above is what hooked me to read your whole post - lol. The angel wing thing has always weirded me out a little. All I can think of is this huge pedistal some people are placing him on and the long fall he will make in some fans' eyes when he shows any type of human failing.

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyBravo

2. Clay's single is better than Ruben's. Why is Clay's the only single that is platinum? Well, it's not because of the singing. I actually think that Ruben sings his song better. Unfortunately for him, his song sucks ass. Clay has a simple melodic song that accentuates his strong points. Ruben has a boring song. No one could make a hit out of it. Using that one song as a point of a better performer is ridiculous.

3. my main problem with Clayniacs is that they typically (no all) tend to discredit all other music to emphasize Clay. Many will refuse to buy Ruben singles because they think that it would take away from Clay. For proof, just look at the e-mails sent to the FCC. I was in a bookstore recently and a mother said that her son couldn't buy a Ruben CD because that would hurt Clay. She then bought four Clay singles. It's getting ridiculous.

All right. I'm done now.
    It is unfair to compare one song over another (though, I don't care for TITN, either) and Ruben does have a wonderful voice. Perhaps, if anyone is still bent on comparing Clay to Ruben for whatever purposes, I would suggest listening to the albums and monitoring the success of each when the CDs are released. Then if Clay's sales are that much better than Ruben's you could say something about it, especially since Ruben already fits nicely into a niche (R&B) that is popular nowadays and there is still question to what market Clay fits into.
    I have no clue why some people (like the "Clayniac" mentioned above) act so strangely but to say that I see this happening in every aspect of life; they call it "cliques".

FORT Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by honeybunny
    will begin by stating that I am not one of the really crazy ones.

I bought one single.
    I did not write the FCC to complain about the results.
    I have never written him a fan letter.
    I do not intend to throw panties at the concert.
    I do not fall over in a dead faint at the mere suggestion that he might have had sex with somebody some time.
    I never, repeat never, envisioned Clay with angel wings.

All I can think of is this huge pedistal some people are placing him on and the long fall he will make in some fans' eyes when he shows any type of human failing.

and he's falling off his pedestal a little now...with the panty issue....there are those that believe he's going straight to hell for enjoying those flying thongs..

and where the heck were you guys when I was giving my "Clay is human, get him off the pedestal" rants a few million pages ago? Sheesh, I had enough tomatoes thrown at me to make soup for Kansas.
    Why is it that kamikaze gnats always aim for my drink?

I WANT CLAYS CD!!!!!!!!!! KennaLovesClay1's Avatar
    Sorry my answer was "lazy" but everyone said everything i wanted to say! I love clay for a number of reasons. The voice is what attracted me at first, of course, because out walks this skinny dorky looking guy who doesnt look like he can sing at all and then he opens his mouth and people are blown away! He started letting his personallity shine threw as the show went on! He became more comfotable and relaxed a little bit more every show! I love Clay for the sweetness that he always shows! He really loves his fans, he always talks about how he wants to sign autographs for everyone but there isnt enough time. The "wanting to see rubens reaction to winning first" was sweet. I loved his attidude when he lost! He still acted just as happy as before he found out. You can tell ruben and clay really like each other. I love how clay always talks about religion and how if god wanted to come in second he would come in second! I love Clay, because i can look up to him and there arent many famous people i can look up too. And i wouldnt be telling the truth if i didnt say that i am now in love with is looks! He has become so handsome. OK im done now. i didnt want to come across as lazy because there are so many reasons why i like clay but they would take way to long to type all of them out!

P.S.honeybunny, love the avatar! wasnt that a great movie!?
    "Clay, hands down. He's the most dedicated, he's the most determined, and he's the most deserving. Ruben's got a great voice, but it's not better than Clay's in terms of clarity, power and vocal ability. I mean, he's NEVER been off pitch, EVER." - Josh Gracin

"Clay's my dawg." - Ruben
    "Ruben hits me." - Clay

"When your world breaks down and the voices tell you turn around, when your dreams give out I will carry you"- I Will Carry You by Clay Aiken

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Wishin I was 24
    and he's falling off his pedestal a little now...with the panty issue....there are those that believe he's going straight to hell for enjoying those flying thongs..

and where the heck were you guys when I was giving my "Clay is human, get him off the pedestal" rants a few million pages ago? Sheesh, I had enough tomatoes thrown at me to make soup for Kansas.
    And lets not forget going to Hooter's for dinner that night in MN. I so wanted to mention at the time that I'd rather go to Hooters than to that Dick's restaurant in SC that Clay was photographed in - wearing a condom hat no less - but I guess I just wasn't as brave as you, wishin, at the time.
    Last edited by ldmarie; 07-18-2003 at 05:13 PM.

FORT Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyBravo
    I haven't been on this board for quite some time because of all the ridiculously obsessive Claziness, but I felt intrigued when I saw this story. So feel free to hate.

13. my main problem with Clayniacs is that they typically (no all) tend to discredit all other music to emphasize Clay. Many will refuse to buy Ruben singles because they think that it would take away from Clay. For proof, just look at the e-mails sent to the FCC. I was in a bookstore recently and a mother said that her son couldn't buy a Ruben CD because that would hurt Clay. She then bought four Clay singles. It's getting ridiculous.

All right. I'm done now.
    First of all, Matty, I hope thats a typo in your post.....I hope you meant "not all" tend to discredit other music to emphasize Clay.... Because, I certainly listen, and buy other music aside from Clay...

I have no plan on buying Rubens cd's...simply because I'm not crazy about R&B, and thats the only reason.

and if you met someone that refused to buy Rubens cd because it might take something away from Clay, then, what can I tell you? The womans an idiot.
    Why is it that kamikaze gnats always aim for my drink?

+ Reply to Thread