+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 213

Thread: Clay as "God" in the aftermath of AI2

  1. #41
    FORT Fogey QueenP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Winston-Salem, North Carolina
    Age
    52
    Posts
    1,097
    Quote Originally Posted by ruben_of_205
    There is no doubt that Clay can sing. But I think Simon is absolately correct when he said Clay is more suited for Boardway than Pop Music. But who care... He is selling tons and tons of CDs and obviously has a huge fan base.

    Clay is no god... he is not even a music legend yet. P Diddy wouldn't even invite Clay to one of his parties. But Clay is popular enough that he has panties thrown at him on stage.
    Hmmm....if it came to a choice between panties or a P.Diddy party...I wonder which would Clay choose?

    I think Clay's new single "Invisible" proves that he is perfectly suited for pop music. The guy can sing anything. IMO, of course. YMMV.

  2. #42
    FORT Fanatic
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    New York
    Age
    58
    Posts
    783
    Quote Originally Posted by grantaire02

    -- but he's NOT my spiritual leader...you know?
    The most frightening part is I think he could achieve that kool aid drinking "cult leader' status, if he hasn't already. Look at how much money in donations the NC Autism society received. Its fabulous that autism research is getting donations, but, alot of the donations came from all over the country. To me this says that the donaters are more interested in impressing Clay than they are in funding the autism society. Otherwise, why not just donate quietly to their own autism society?
    Why is it that kamikaze gnats always aim for my drink?

  3. #43
    FORT Fogey sonormal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    W. Hollywood, CA
    Posts
    2,012
    hey, rube-- i meant that our boys (and girl) have TONS more staying power than the three music twits i had mentioned...i think rube, clay and kim are far more unique and interesting for the music scene and have far more to add than jessica simpson, justin timberlake and britney spears.

  4. #44
    FORT Fogey sonormal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    W. Hollywood, CA
    Posts
    2,012
    just to clarify.

  5. #45
    see below caliqueen16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    ridin' the waves
    Posts
    1,182
    Quote Originally Posted by QueenP
    I think Clay's new single "Invisible" proves that he is perfectly suited for pop music. The guy can sing anything. IMO, of course.
    *Lacey

  6. #46
    On My Way Here Grisabella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    2,334
    Ruben of 205:
    "Clay ... is not even a music legend yet. P Diddy wouldn't even invite Clay to one of his parties.
    So now an invitation to a P Diddy party is the mark of a music legend?
    Dogs have owners. Cats have staff. ;-D

  7. #47
    FORT Fanatic
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    New York
    Age
    58
    Posts
    783
    Quote Originally Posted by QueenP
    Hmmm....if it came to a choice between panties or a P.Diddy party...I wonder which would Clay choose?

    I think Clay's new single "Invisible" proves that he is perfectly suited for pop music. The guy can sing anything. IMO, of course. YMMV.

    I agree with you on that QueenP...Invisible proves he can sing pop, and sing it well.

    Anyone that can sing Grease, and pull it off....can sing anything. IMO. Clays got a beautiful voice with a lot of range and power.

    and as far as P. Diddly goes....is he somebody important that Clay should be concerned that he's not invited to his party? I know he got dumped by J.Lo....but, who is he?
    Why is it that kamikaze gnats always aim for my drink?

  8. #48
    FORT Fogey nausicaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Oz
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,238
    Wow! A lot of people have responded to this thread, and all with good insights.

    ilean4clay - your reply to mine is thought-provoking. However, while it seems that my argument hasn't angered anyone, it has ruffled a few feathers. For the record, I'm *not* obssessed w/ Clay fans' obssession w/ Clay, nor was the point of my posts to purposely harass you guys. As I mentioned at the very beginning of my first post, I'm new here, and the decision to make my first post about this topic was after observing the trends which this forum has exhibited over the course of a few months. My goal wasn't to rehash (what must seem to you) a well-worn argument, but to present it in a coherent manner that would allow for well-thought-out rebuttals such as yours.

    Now, in response to the actual content of your post - I concede to your point about Clay being an inspiration to his fans. I let my own views on what qualifies as inspirational colour my argument. Your point made about Lennon is insignificant; there are different degrees of plagiarism, and many visionary artists in Western history have plagiarized in one form or another- starting with Shakespeare.

    Clay may write songs, and he may play an instrument - but does he write songs like Leonard Cohen, or Britany Spears? Does he play like Hendrix, or Avril? They're pertinent factors because I was trying to address the question Why do Clay fans "worship" their idol so? from a logical point of view. After all, the quality of an artist is frequently augmented not only by his ability to do the above, but to do them well. And the quality of an artist is directly related the diverseness of his fanbase (and Clay's is quite diverse), and the longevity of his career (which is what I was trying to gauge in my second long post.)

    As for the oversinging, if you had read the second of my long posts, you would know that I didn't deny there *are* many fans who like Clay for his oversinging. 'Nuff said.

    Now, as for the rest of your post - I don't have an issue with people liking Clay because he's a genuinely decent human being. I don't have an issue at all - I have a question. And this question, which I had implicitly stated in my first post, is this: There are many people (including celebrities and artists) who have done more than what Clay has done, whose personalities are equally as charming, but have had less "cult-like" followings. What makes him so unique? And before you jump on me for using "cult" and "Clay" in the same sentence, let me say first that you misread the use of "worship" and "God" in my original post. In the same way you "hope" I'm not serious, I "hope" you took my words as what they are - figures of speech.

    No, Clay fans do not actually view Clay as their Saviour, but they do talk of him in language that's uniformly uncritical, unreserved, and fervent. Little things - such as mannerisms, likes and dislikes, etc - are dissected and gushed over with unbound fascination. This kind of behaviour is unusual even among staunch music fans, but *not* unusual among teenage girls swooning for their latest hearthrob (or cults, for that matter. ) Even you understand that the obsession with Clay will "ride out in a year or two". But what you don't seem to understand is that this mass infatuation w/ Clay may actually hurt him in the long run (the point of my second post.)

    Why? Because often, excessive fan-mania = over-exposure = backlash = alienation
    In other words, not only might all this ClayLove generate backlash among the media and fans (especially fans whose best argument for liking Clay only goes as far as "because I just love him"), but it also alienates those who showed had shown interest in Clay but got fed up with either 1) the constant hype or 2) the enmity that some Clay fans have exhibited towards those who like other artists or dare to point out Clay's flaws. There is a tension on this board sometimes, and I think it may be caused by the aura of "exclusiveness" which the Clay threads exude.

    Pillbeam, fluff, and Grisabella - I think you guys are right on the money about how Clay's status as "underdog" has really helped to "fuel the fire". Also, I think this whole infatuation thing may have something to do w/ Clay's delicate and feyish looks. Girls (and mothers!) may not *really* want him as their husband, but he brings out the maternal instinct in them.

  9. #49
    Hug me!
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    1,761
    Quote Originally Posted by Wishin I was 24
    I agree with you on that QueenP...Invisible proves he can sing pop, and sing it well.

    Anyone that can sing Grease, and pull it off....can sing anything. IMO. Clays got a beautiful voice with a lot of range and power.
    Okay.. This is not Clay's thread so I can trush him a little bit.. hehe

    Yes.. Invisible is a pop song.. However for Clay to sing that song.. he loses what made him so special in the first place.. which is to show his voice with a lot of range and power. Come on.. Anybody can sing Invisible.. even Justin Timberlake.. or anyone of Nysc's members.

  10. #50
    see below caliqueen16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    ridin' the waves
    Posts
    1,182
    Quote Originally Posted by nausicaa
    In other words, not only might all this ClayLove generate backlash among the media and fans (especially fans whose best argument for liking Clay only goes as far as "because I just love him"),.
    It's funny to me that you write that "because I just love him" isn't a good enough explanation because, in my personal opinion, when you genuinely adore something or something, you cannot name everything you like about it/him/her.

    If somebody were to ask me why I was with my boyfriend for 4 years when I'm pretty 3 dimensional and he's about as 2 dimensional as cardboard, I could not explain it for the world. All I could manage to say would be "Because I just love him." End of story. To me, it's something that you feel and not something you can make out in a nice organized little list of why you genuinely and truly love this person or thing.

    There was some quote on the Web I read awhlie ago that was along the lines of "Love is when someone asks you WHY you love them and your mind just goes blank". That's the best way I can explain it to you.

    From the moment Clay was introduced to American Idol, there must have been something about him to make women of all ages (and some men too) fall absolutely in love with him. We're not living in Harry Potter's world so I doubt he put a love potion around himself or something So if you (not just you, nausicaa but people who don't understand the Claysession in general) do not see this "something", then I do not see how it is humanly possible to explain it. Others may (and have attempted to explain) but I don't. So this is the best I can offer you, I'm afraid.

    BTW, I enjoyed your post, nausicaa - it's interesting reading your point of view because you make your argument without anger or sarcasm and it's really nice to read.
    *Lacey

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.