+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Clay as "God" in the aftermath of AI2

I might add that Clay, over the course of AI, was not so much a continuing underdog* as a caterpillar that metamorphized into a buttefly, the frog who became a prince. People do love archetypes like that.

*Simon even admitted that until the last 3 weeks of the show Clay was ahead and then Ruben started to close the gap. He actually never was the "underdog," at least after Wild Card night, despite what the media liked to suggest.
    Last edited by Grisabella; 07-17-2003 at 02:58 PM.
    Dogs have owners. Cats have staff. ;-D

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Grisabella]Pillbeam, I'm sure the underdog thing helped Clay, especially right after the finale. (Clay and Ruben both may have sold more single CDs because of the "continued battle" to see who was "the real Idol.")
    But I don't think it explains the effect Clay's voice has on a lot of people or the fact that so many females find Clay sexy, ador(k)able, gorgeous, etc.
    I pretty much "fell" for Clay when he did DLTSGDOM--a night when ALL the judges, including Simon RAVED about Clay's performance and his look ("fly," "memorable," etc.) But if that and Motown night (when Lamont Dozier said Clay owned the stage like he was "already a star") didn't do it, Clay really "had me at Somewhere Out There" -- the night Gladys Knight cooed about Clay's "magical" look and Simon said that performance made Clay "the one they've got to beat."
    In other words, I was totally smitten before Simon and the media began to show their pro-Ruben and/or anti-Clay bias. I'll bet the majority of "Claymates" would say the same.

Very well said Grisabella. You have such a way with words. You put everything I was thinking/feeling into words.

Thank you for speaking on behalf of some of the Claymates

FORT Fanatic
    [QUOTE=combatcutie]
    Quote Originally Posted by Grisabella
    In other words, I was totally smitten before Simon and the media began to show their pro-Ruben and/or anti-Clay bias. I'll bet the majority of "Claymates" would say the same.

Very well said Grisabella. You have such a way with words. You put everything I was thinking/feeling into words.

Thank you for speaking on behalf of some of the Claymates
    Why is it that kamikaze gnats always aim for my drink?

Clay has a greatvoice, a great vibe-- and..some serious mojo. He certainly is no saint, hero or musical genius.

He's approaching idol/icon status-- with an intent and intense fan-base...and more power to him.

But I get uncomfortable with giving him Apollinian status or something...(I say "Apollinian" in the Nietzschean way--spelling-wise--...could just as well say, "Apollonian"...I guess)

I can say I have a "crush" on him-- but he's NOT my spiritual leader...you know?

Welcoming the world Mr. Bunbury's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grisabella
    Bunbury, if you think "the real reason why [Clay's fans are] fixated is because they like staring at his body hair and his arse," you really are behind the times. Check this out.
    I'm actually not as behind the times as some of you think -- I just couldn't bring myself to type the word... "package"

*grimace*

Well, Mr. B., some things are best enjoyed nonverbally.

grantaire02:
    "I can say I have a "crush" on him-- but he's NOT my spiritual leader...you know?"
    Yeah, I know!
    Dogs have owners. Cats have staff. ;-D

Hug me!
    There is no doubt that Clay can sing. But I think Simon is absolately correct when he said Clay is more suited for Boardway than Pop Music. But who care... He is selling tons and tons of CDs and obviously has a huge fan base.

Clay is no god... he is not even a music legend yet. P Diddy wouldn't even invite Clay to one of his parties. But Clay is popular enough that he has panties thrown at him on stage.

His star could even wane within the year...but if the stars are in correct alignment and God is kind...he and ruben and kimberly will have tons more staying power than britney spears, timberlake and jessica simpson...

Hug me!
    Quote Originally Posted by grantaire02
    His star could even wane within the year...but if the stars are in correct alignment and God is kind...he and ruben and kimberly will have tons more staying power than britney spears, timberlake and jessica simpson...
    Oh.. come on.. do you really want that ??? Britney, timberlake, jessica.. they attract young crowds.. really really young crowds. I think our stars deserve better.

+ Reply to Thread