+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Clay as "God" in the aftermath of AI2

I think Daphne was being sarcastic or such.

With Clay it's all about the power of TV. His fans know he is no god, but it is still fun to "idolize" him (don't take it too seriously). And, I would say, it was the goal of the producers of AI to make someone stay in people's minds after the show was over, and with Clay they obviously achieved their goal. Just like all the arguing about the same matter before, this is just an internet board, people write sometimes stuff they would never say in real life, it can get somewhat overboard. Never take anything too seriously.

Daphne
    Quote Originally Posted by fluff
    I think/hope Daphne was joking
    Yes I was.

FORT Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by Grisabella
    Nausicaa, I agree pretty much with everything you said, but I think you're missing the point. A lot of people simply "fell in love" with Clay's voice and persona, and trying to explain why is kinda like trying to explain why people fall in love in the first place.
    Some people's voices, grins, personalities, etc., just "get to you" in a way that other "objectively" good ones don't.
    I'll never claim Clay is the best singer in the world. Or the handsomest man. Or the most noble character. But I find myself listening much more to Clay than to all the other music I love. His voice must set off some pleasure center in my hypothalamus or something. And I'm eagerly awaiting seeing him on stage live in August.
    BTW, I don't think most of us "Clayniacs" think he's a saint!
    I've got to agree with Grisabella on her post...there is just something about that guy, I love the way he sings and the way his eyes light up when he does sing.....go ahead, roll your eyes at me......lol.

IMO....
    ya know on this board and others...anything said against Clay regarding his singing, the pictures etc.....is deemed "bashing" ..... it also means posters will gladly gang up on you and complain that "if you love Clay, you shouldn't be bashing him". and frankly it's just not worth the trouble to mention anything that smacks of negativity regarding Clay.... So, those who have placed him on his lofty pedastal are the loudest and the ones most often heard.
    There are many of us that understand he's human, not a saint, and need some more voice training , but we discuss it mainly in pm's so as not to disturb certain inmates. I posted something once about how difficult it must be for Clay to attempt to live up to the disturbingly high expectations of some fans, and was told in no uncertain terms thats thats how he is in real life.........yeah, some of the posters scare the hell out of me.
    Why is it that kamikaze gnats always aim for my drink?

Thanks to everyone who replied to my post, and to cindylu and Haole1 for your praise.

Grisabella and Tirlittan - both of you provided though-provoking responses, and I understand your points of view.

First off, I made sure to use "some" as the quantifier in describing the Clay fans who are - if I may use the term - a tad "obssessed". Surely this point is valid, what w/ with vertigo-inducing animated Clay avatars you guys had going for a day or two there, and the Clay Conspiracies, and the edifying discussions about his toenails...

Secondly, I realize that the reason why we like a certain person cannot always be justified. However, I think that there is a difference between "falling in love" w/ a significant other and "falling in love" with a celebrity. Fans are notorious for being fickle, and if Clay loses his elfin looks, his soaring voice, or his wholesome image (say, he gets into drugs like Leif Garrett once did), than what's going to stop a certain # of his fans - those who were attracted to his "persona" more than his actual singing - from dropping him like a hot potato?

And yes, I know that a lot of fans actually love Clay SOLELY for his singing because it's their style. However, that wouldn't explain why Clay fans on this board outnumber Ruben fans two to one. After all, it can be argued that Ruben's just as good a singer as Clay, and what's more, his fanbase should be bigger because that r&b, neo-soul sound is big these days. So, I can only conclude that a lot of the Clay-love is based not just on appreciation, but infatuation.

Now, I'm going to use a wack analogy to describe why I infatuation, taken to extremes, isn't good. You know how dictatorships (i.e. Mao, Stalin) are often described as dangerous and unstable because they're, essentially, "cult of peronalities"? And how, sooner or later, they're overthrown because their governments aren't based on solid platforms, but on the charisma of their leader? That how I feel about Clay's meteorical rise to the top - that essentially, he's this year's Leif Garrett, Nick Carter, or Ricky Martin. Sure, you guys are in love w/ him now, but what happens when the novelty wears off? In the history of music, I'm guessing that there's only 10% of artists who had fan-mania work for them in the long run; the rest are flash-in-the-pans.

I like Clay - don't get me wrong. That's why I'd rather have him go through an unremarkable beginnining as the tradeoff for a durable career. And that's why I encourage music lovers to love their idols for their music. Heck, my roomie and I adore Meg White, but we've never felt the urge to discuss the physiological and moral implications behind that *one little shirt tug* she did in a concert.

Anyway, off my soapbox. Carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by Wishin I was 24
    There are many of us that understand he's human, not a saint, and need some more voice training , but we discuss it mainly in pm's so as not to disturb certain inmates. I posted something once about how difficult it must be for Clay to attempt to live up to the disturbingly high expectations of some fans, and was told in no uncertain terms thats thats how he is in real life.........yeah, some of the posters scare the hell out of me.
    Thanks for your insights, Wishin I was 24!
    I'll tread carefully from now on.

Welcoming the world Mr. Bunbury's Avatar
    The ladies here can say all they want about how Clay's singing move them to tears, and how Clay is such a good role model and blah blah blah, but IMHO, the real reason why they're fixated is because they like staring at his body hair and his arse.

FORT Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bunbury
    the real reason why they're fixated is because they like staring at his body hair and his arse.
    That was soooo last week, Mr B..it's the shirt tugging thing now...
    Why is it that kamikaze gnats always aim for my drink?

Foster Your Inner Kacey BobDobolina's Avatar
    Clay kills cats?!?!

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Wishin I was 24
    That was soooo last week, Mr B..it's the shirt tugging thing now...
    Ah yes, but don't forget the picture of Clay/Julia.. Oh look its your avatar! lol

Quote Originally Posted by nausicaa
    And yes, I know that a lot of fans actually love Clay SOLELY for his singing because it's their style. However, that wouldn't explain why Clay fans on this board outnumber Ruben fans two to one. After all, it can be argued that Ruben's just as good a singer as Clay, and what's more, his fanbase should be bigger because that r&b, neo-soul sound is big these days. So, I can only conclude that a lot of the Clay-love is based not just on appreciation, but infatuation.
    Actually nausicaa, a good number of the Clay fans that come here are not over the edge so to speak. True, there are, as Wishin said, some scary conversations that take place, but there are more registered lurkers out there than "on the edge posters". To tell you the truth, more than half of my CD collection is luther, barry, peabo, etc and I truly think Ruben is gifted and will have a great career.............but there is just something about Clay. Can't put my finger on it, I think that most of us can't. I am not infatuated with Clay, and know that many of my fellow "claymates" aren't either........sure we are having a good time talking about him like we're 16 again (half of the fun is coming to sites like this to share and talk) - my God a good chunk of us are over 40 married with kids and grandkids. It's not like I've been reading Tiger Beat and this is my flavor of the month.................I don't think I've had a flavor for over 25 years.............but for some reason I find myself here.
    Do I think of Clay as a more than a mere mortal, no, but he seems like a nice person with a gift and I hope that he has a successful career. I agree with you that many, are infatuated with Clay beyond something that's healthy, but there is another piece to what is going on here.

+ Reply to Thread