+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 213

Thread: Clay as "God" in the aftermath of AI2

  1. #131
    sue
    sue is offline
    FORT Regular
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    143

    big boys

    Quote Originally Posted by ruben_of_205
    Okay.. This is not Clay's thread so I can trush him a little bit.. hehe

    Yes.. Invisible is a pop song.. However for Clay to sing that song.. he loses what made him so special in the first place.. which is to show his voice with a lot of range and power. Come on.. Anybody can sing Invisible.. even Justin Timberlake.. or anyone of Nysc's members.


    so you do think he does sound pop...and you do agree that he is special...and you are placing him up there with the big boys....well there you go Nausicaa...even rubens fans are putting clay on a pedestal...could it get any better....Thank you Ruben-of-205 lol!!!!!!!

  2. #132
    sue
    sue is offline
    FORT Regular
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bunbury
    I'm actually not as behind the times as some of you think -- I just couldn't bring myself to type the word... "package"

    *grimace*
    that was so cute, Mr.Bunbkury

  3. #133
    sue
    sue is offline
    FORT Regular
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    143

    pedestal

    Quote Originally Posted by graycat11
    I think the reason many of us are so attracted to Clay as a performer is because of his attitude which was very good on AI2 (beside his undeniable talent, voice). If he'd had a bad attitude, answering back to some of the bad critiques, I don't think we'd admire him as much.

    Please don't put Clay on a pedestal, he's only human. He's bound to have some faults.

    if he falls off that pedestal, I will pick him back up and put him on that pedestal, if he falls off again, I will pick him back up and super glue his butt up there, love clay, lol

  4. #134
    sue
    sue is offline
    FORT Regular
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by srs_in_Oregon
    hi guys, now i get to put my 2 cents in...did i hear an Oh No from the stands??
    ive said many times why i am a proud clay fan..this is all IMO so dont think im using it as fact
    1. Clay has an awesome voice! I dont get obsessed with singers very easily...they have to be really really good, and im not just saying that. im a writer, so i focus on lyrics, and dont really care about the actual singer. Even the biggest critics dont deny that clay has a wonderful voice, you can say broadway, or disney, but the point is..thats not a diss...if you said 'clay's voice sucks" that would be a diss, but to say he could be on broadway, what a compliment! Many great singers have had there stint on brodway.
    2. i look at magazines today and all over the place there's singers who arent people you can look up to. I look up to Clay, but he did that to himself...i never ever expected him to be good neccessarily, but he said himself that he would never do anything that he wouldnt want his own kids watching, he talks about church and God all the time..he wants to be different in the music industry. if I read in a magazine that he was caught soliciting a prostitute or something yes Ill be dissapointed, just as im dissapointed when i read about someone takind drugs, or caught cheating....because i never ever think that those things are ok, or dismissed because your human. I will forever listen to Clay's music, and i will support him continually for many many years to come, but i wont look up to him if i find out that he did something that i dont agree is right...maybe im just to conservative, but i dont care if your a celebrity..or not...clay is good, im sure of it, and he's ok with being looked up to...he can be different, and in my heart i believe he is.
    3. He's caring....the way he talks to kids, the way he looks into people's eyes when he's singing, the way he wanted to be the first to see his best friends face when he won, the way he wouldnt get out of his limo at the after party till ruben got there cause it was time for his friend to shine. He cares about people...you can tell. how often do you see someone who, regardless of what might happen sticks his hand outside of a car window to wave at his fans, even though they might take the poor guys arm right off...giving money to charity...all this is gives me reason to believe that there is good in the entertainment industry.

    I know this got long guys, but i just want you guys to understand why we like clay so much. Maybe the underdog factor feuled the fandom, but we saw interview clay, concert clay and normal clay....and we "fell in love"
    sure im still young enough to get butterflies when i see pictures, and gush in extent every chance i get....my obsessivness might die down, but you better believe that i will buy his first album, his second and so on...
    ok, sigh...theres my thoughts..please dont attack me too much

    whooy molly! theres only one thing I could add to this, in #2.........where do I get a hooker outfit.....lol

  5. #135
    sue
    sue is offline
    FORT Regular
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    143
    and no my nick name is not talk-alot-sue

  6. #136
    FORT Fogey nausicaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Oz
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,238
    Quote Originally Posted by gumdrop38
    I appreciate your concern and I am grateful to fans.... but invest your time in volunteering to help others...
    Even now with his album being released so that he will miss out on a oportunity for a award..He holds not grudges....
    Do we think he is God....Don't be silly...
    Do we idolize him...Well whats the name of the show again??
    I hope your message wasn't specifically directed at me. First of all, I explained quite explicitly that me comparing Clay to "God" is a figure of speech (hence, the quotation marks). Second of all, please do not tell me how to invest my time, just because I'm the voice of dissent. I'm taking full-year courses during the summer, working part-time, and yes, I *do* volunteer - at Amnesty International,OPIRG, and Engineers without Borders. Hanging out here at FORT is just a pleasant distraction from the realities of life.

    I'm not sure what the award thing has to do with anything...why should Clay hold grudges?

    As for the title of the show - well, if you want to argue semantics, the *literal* meaning of "idol" is an object of worship, or someone we reify. And yet you already stated that Clay isn't a god...

  7. #137
    FORT Fogey nausicaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Oz
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,238
    Quote Originally Posted by Grisabella
    Part of the FANTASY that Clay inspires in many women, especially the non-teenagers, is that of "introducing an inexperienced, nubile young man into the joys of the flesh." Plus, Clay's obviously sensitive nature -- being "in touch with his feminine side" says, to a prospective wife/lover, "I won't just "do" you, I'll MAKE LOVE to you. And I won't roll over and turn on the football game right afterwards." (We all know there'd be "pillow talk" with Clay, because, well, the boy does love to talk!)
    Aarrghh!!! *tries to poke eyeballs out with chopsticks* A pox on you, abrahammy! Thinking of Clay’s scrawny, mealy body in all sorts of sexual contortions is really making me reconsider the merits of having an overactive imagination.

    I mean, it’s a good point (even if it’s one I wouldn’t have touched with a ten-foot pole), but did you have to be so…detailed?

    Now, Daniel Day-Lewis - there’s a real man for you! *eyes glaze over*

    I like your post, hazyshadeof. It was short but succinct. But I ain’t hatin’ on nobody, especially not on someone I don’t even know. I save my reservoir of hate for landlords, profs, and housemates who never wash their own damn dishes

  8. #138
    FORT Fogey nausicaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Oz
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,238
    Quote Originally Posted by grantaire02
    I miss my soaring ballads and melodies...and I really am a sucker for Motown, most 50s, 60s and some 70s music...I like my songs to be songs, and I hate the failed attempt by some "artists" to be unnecessarily edgy, profound (oh, yeah-- Madonna, is SO deep) and political-- when it just feels phony...not everything has to be overtly DEEP to be deep. Sometimes subtlety in a lyric or gesture or inflection of the voice is key. And the two things I think today's music lacks most is...melody and subtlety. It's all so...juvenile. Hell, I don't even know what I'm saying...babbling....aaargh
    No, I see what you're saying, grantaire02 (why is there an 02 behind your moniker?) However, I think that just because Clay fans feel he is a "breath of fresh air" in the contemporary music scene, it doesn't mean he's going to reinvent pop as we know it. Too early to tell, I say. Let the boy make some *really* credible music first (and not just saccharine melodies that sound like so much of the stuff put out by Diane Warren.)

    As for Madonna - well, she's not so much about musical "depth" as she is about subverting traditional sexual roles (i.e. Virgin/Whore) and enpowering women. That why postmodernists like Camille Paglia, who celebrate fragmentation and contradiction, adore her. "I am my own work of art" is probably one of the better-known catchphrases in the history of music. She is practically an institution unto herself, and it will be many, *many* years before the same thing could be said of Clay.

    Furthermore, I think that while a lot of pop and r&b music out there is, as you say, juvenile, you can't just discredit all of it with one broad sweep of the brush. Sure, Snoop Dogg, Ja Rule, and Nelly get old fast, but would you call Lauryn Hill, india.arie, or Alicia Keye's music juvenile? And sure, lots of "artists/poseurs" stick incomprehensible, "deep" messages in their music, which ends up being pretty non-melodic anyway. However, for every one of them there's a Ryan (not Bryan!) Adams or Glenn Lewis (now there’s melody *and* subtlety for ya!) , Mathew Good, or Sam Roberts. And sure, there's plenty o' bubblegum pop out there, but there's also people like Norah Jones or Bic Runga. And heck, if you want to claim that Clay's music is so much more *real* because he's not a manufactured product (even though, in a way, he is), then I could counter-argue that if you want an artist who *really* keeps it "real", 50 Cent is your man. I mean, he has done all of the stuff he raps about, and I'm sure most of his music ain't studio-enhanced.

    To conclude, my theory is: if you didn't find what you liked before Clay came along (uh, hello, Josh Groban?!), then it's because you didn't look hard enough, not because it's not there.

    P.S. And Clay's music, voice, or gestures can be considered as subtle?

  9. #139
    FORT Fogey nausicaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Oz
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,238
    Quote Originally Posted by nausicaa
    Aarrghh!!! *tries to poke eyeballs out with chopsticks* A pox on you, abrahammy!
    I meant, of course, Grisabella I couldn't edit it because the 30-minute time restriction had already expired.

  10. #140
    FORT Fanatic
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    New York
    Age
    58
    Posts
    783
    Quote Originally Posted by nausicaa
    I hope your message wasn't specifically directed at me. First of all, I explained quite explicitly that me comparing Clay to "God" is a figure of speech (hence, the quotation marks). Second of all, please do not tell me how to invest my time, just because I'm the voice of dissent. I'm taking full-year courses during the summer, working part-time, and yes, I *do* volunteer - at Amnesty International,OPIRG, and Engineers without Borders. Hanging out here at FORT is just a pleasant distraction from the realities of life.

    I'm not sure what the award thing has to do with anything...why should Clay hold grudges?

    As for the title of the show - well, if you want to argue semantics, the *literal* meaning of "idol" is an object of worship, or someone we reify. And yet you already stated that Clay isn't a god...

    ahem, I think you might want to go back and reread Gumdrops post, I think you might have misread it. I got the impression she was speaking as Clay would have regarding volunteering time to help others, not at you, or anyone of us specifically.
    Why is it that kamikaze gnats always aim for my drink?

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.