+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Clay as "God" in the aftermath of AI2

What abrahammy said about Simon!
    In SPADES!!!
    Dogs have owners. Cats have staff. ;-D

What idoru said about Clay's potential influence on contemporary pop music!
    It bears repeating that it's really only been in the last decade or so that "pop" music and "r&b" have been permeated by tuneless "songs" with uninspiring beats (like the overdone, simplistic slow rap beat). Rember Lionel Ritchie, Donna Summer, Cyndi Lauper, Meatloaf, Hall & Oates, Bob Seger, Stevie Wonder, Englebert Humperdinck, Dire Straits, The Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, James Taylor, Neil Diamond, Roberta Flack, Barry Manilow, The Righteous Brothers, Barbra Streisand, Van Morrison, Billy Joel, The Carpenters, and so many others before them (like Sam Cooke, The Platters, Dion, Sarah Vaughn)?

Most "adult contemporary" stations I listen to (since I started trying to hear Clay and Ruben on air) still play all the artists I mentioned above and other real singers with power ballads, "soft rock," Motown style R&B, doo wop, and soft, melodic love songs. It seems the only stations where Clay and Ruben's music kinda doesn't fit are the ones that play ONLY music from the last few years, mostly rap & hip-hop and similar sounds.
    Yeah, I think there's a hunger to broaden the horizons of the contemporary "pop" and "r&b" worlds, and I think Clay's style specifically feeds that hunger.

Just babbling, Grant?
    Clay as "God" in the aftermath of AI2

I don't THINK so! Very well said!

And, camsgran, excellent analysis of the frog-->prince factor.
    Clay as "God" in the aftermath of AI2

Ryan Seacrest liked to remind us that AI was different from other talent searches because it lets "America" choose the Idol. Well, despite the attempts of Fox and 19E (most visibly Simon Cowell) to make it otherwise, that's exactly what we, the fans, are trying to do.
    And I'd say we're doing a pretty good job of it so far, since we have such a great candidate!
    Last edited by Grisabella; 07-19-2003 at 02:49 PM.

rambles and brambles

I miss my soaring ballads and melodies...and I really am a sucker for Motown, most 50s, 60s and some 70s music...I like my songs to be songs, and I hate the failed attempt by some "artists" to be unnecessarily edgy, profound (oh, yeah-- Madonna, is SO deep) and political-- when it just feels phony...not everything has to be overtly DEEP to be deep. Sometimes subtlety in a lyric or gesture or inflection of the voice is key.

And the two things I think today's music lacks most is...melody and subtlety. It's all so...juvenile. Hell, I don't even know what I'm saying...babbling....aaargh
    Last edited by sonormal; 07-19-2003 at 02:25 PM. Reason: i don't know anything anymore

You don't think "I love to see yo' body go bump, bump, bump" is subtle, Grant?

FORT Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by abrahammy

Anger is unquestionably one of the fuels in this fire.
    I agree with you that Simons remarks to Clay were sometimes mean spirited, and down right nasty, but I think Simon knew what he was doing all along. ..Being the bad guy on the show, he had to uphold his image, and I think he knew that judging from the enormous amount of fan mail that Clay got,and probably the amount of hate mail that Simon got from Clay fans. that his remarks would only send us into a bigger frenzy in trying to protect Clay from this big, bad meanie. It certainly worked.
    Some of Simons negative remarks about Clay were so absurd it was impossible to tell if he was being serious or not. I mean, c'mon, no one wants to vote for Clay because he has big feet?
    When Simon said that Ruben would have had a number 1 single if only he had sang BOTW....well, thats just completely absurd. We know it's the singer and the song he sings that make it great. I honestly could not see Clay singing FWOW....
    but, anyway, I seem to be digressing and getting way off topic here, blame it on my headcold.....the point I'm trying to make is that while Simon was constructive in some of his criticisms,(and I had to agree with him) he was nasty in others. I think it was just part of the show, part of Simon's image, and part of the plan to get two moneymakers out of the show.. I don't hate Simon for his part on/in AI, I don't think his negative remarks hurt Clay at all, and may have even helped him in the long run..
    Why is it that kamikaze gnats always aim for my drink?

sue
    FORT Regular
    oh no, not my godly saint, how could anyone think my little angelic voiced angel could need more voice lessons, lol

sue
    FORT Regular

simon again

Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam
    Thanks so much, Nausicaa, for this thread. I too have felt uncomfortable with the reaction by some Clayzies. In fact, I think that my natural inclination to like some of Clay's music has been squelched a bit by the overwhelming fixation of some of his fans at the FORT. I'm so turned off by the unreal expectations that it's hard for me to focus on the real Clay: A naturally talented, attractive HUMAN with charisma.

I and other Ruben fans adore Ruben's music as much as Clay fans adore Clay's. And Ruben fans are very impressed with Ruben's warm, spiritual personality, keen knowledge of music and sexy dimples. But we do not worship him and are not particularly obsessed with him.

Here's my theory about what is partly fueling the Clay "obsession": Simon. Cowell early on set up Clay as the underdog with his negative comments, and any viewer who liked Clay naturally felt very defensive and more adamant about supporting Clay. A lot of Clayzies now are still really anxious to "prove Simon wrong." I honestly think that if Simon had supported Clay from the beginning, today there would still be a lot of big fans of Clay, but they might not be as obsessive.

you are probley right, but we do have fun with it, lol---shush-----

and lets say this very quiet, that maybe simon reallly did hellp clay!! no no no no no no, am runing away

Quote Originally Posted by Wishin I was 24
    There are many of us that understand he's human, not a saint, and need some more voice training , but we discuss it mainly in pm's so as not to disturb certain inmates.
    If anyone would like to post critiques Clay's (or anyone else's) voice or performances, I wouldn't have the knowledge to participate, but I for one would be very interested in reading them. There's always so much to learn from such analysis'... analyses... Oh heck, whatever the plural of "analysis" is.

Maybe someone can start a thread for discussion?

FORT Fan
    sue, you got it all wrong honey, he's not just a saint anymore, he's the 2nd coming - can't you see the comparisons - loves children, adores others' feet (like Jesus washed his followers' feet) eats dinner with prostitutes and other sinners.... hee,hee

-wanted to add that if any of you see Clay actually drinking any wine, please, it's just grape juice.
    Last edited by ldmarie; 07-19-2003 at 04:48 PM.

+ Reply to Thread