+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Clay as "God" in the aftermath of AI2

"The Rest Of The Story"

Well, this doesn't exactly explain the "Clay For Pope" campaign, but if we're talking about the rabid nature of Clay's fan base, the discussion so far -- including abrahammy's eloquent analysis -- has neglected mention of a very BIG factor: CLAY'S SEX APPEAL
    What is it about him that makes so many girls and women find him swoon-worthy, want to plaster their computer screens and walls with his image, fantasize about him, and, in a lot of cases, go to great lengths just to get to see him in person and get a hug or just shake his hand?
    I have given up trying to make this post into a concise, Pulitzer-worthy treatise, but here are some thoughts I have on the subject. (Bear in mind I'm talking IMAGE here; I don't claim to know about Clay's private life.)
    -----------
    -----------
    In a nutshell, I think Clay's sexuality is so spellbinding to so many women because it's elusive, enigmatic, subtle, just under the surface.

It's the promise of more and better things to come. The promise of a smoldering libido that seems pretty much an unmined motherlode at present. Clay's sexuality seems to be like a dormant volcano that's making rumbling noises like it could erupt at any time. (As of that Pittsburgh concert, it reminds me a lot of Mt. St. Helens about May 15, 2000.)

It's the appeal of a reluctant sex symbol. The guy who went from nobody's ideal prom date to sex object so fast it still makes his head spin without being able to really comprehend it or take it too seriously. A guy who believes in premarital chastity yet who's gonna be "majorly" tempted over the next few months or years and who's already getting phone-number-accompanied thong panties thrown at him while he sings.

If Clay had come out on AI or even afterwards in tight, revealing pants and done the kind of bump and grind moves that permeate today's pop and rock music videos, it would probably have killed much of his appeal. For one thing, that sort of thing is so NOT-Clayton that it would have seemed silly. (Clay could get by with "Grease" and even win the crowd with it because it was tongue-in-cheek, self-mocking even while being provocative, and quite tame even compared with Elvis's moves in the 50s.)

Clay's still in the process of his metamorphosis. In Atlanta we saw, basically, Clark Kent, dorky but revealing subtle signs of his alter ego. As he morphed from geek to "chic," we also saw him learn to keep his eyes open and embrace his audience while he sang. We saw his body become freer. We saw the suppressed dancer begin to emerge.

Clay's sexuality, like his body, has been gradually exhibited to his audience, much as the classic strip teaser -- in contrast to the in-yo-face lap dancers of today -- made her audience wait patiently, their appetites building, as she promised, then delivered, each new little glimpse of her charms.
    Here's a guy who sings about "lying here with you," and "I'll make you mine," and other really romantic or erotic lyrics but who, according to reports, hasn't had a girlfriend in several years and values premarital chastity (though he won't speak specifically about his own sexual history or lack thereof).
    And for the most part on AI, Clay kept his "bootay" well concealed under untucked shirts, baggy suits and jackets, and "sports briefs" that he wore under his trousers. Especially on the nights when he was dancing or cuddling with Carmen or the other girls. (After seeing some of those tour concert photos, I now understand WHY!)

Clay kinda flirted with the AI2 girls, especially Carmen, on screen, but for the most part it was very tame stuff like kissing them on the forehead or hugging them the way a brother might.
    Ricky, Corey, Charles, and even Ruben were out there "shakin' what their mamas gave 'em, while Clay protested that his dancing was something "you folks really don't want to see." (Whether genuine or staged or a bit of both, Clay was in effect teasing us: "C'mon, ladies, beg just a little more!")

Clay still exudes humility, bewilderment, and little-boy glee about women finding him sexy. This, in contrast to the egomaniacal attitude of many sports and rock stars, is irresistable to many women!
    Part of the FANTASY that Clay inspires in many women, especially the non-teenagers, is that of "introducing an inexperienced, nubile young man into the joys of the flesh." Plus, Clay's obviously sensitive nature -- being "in touch with his feminine side" says, to a prospective wife/lover, "I won't just "do" you, I'll MAKE LOVE to you. And I won't roll over and turn on the football game right afterwards." (We all know there'd be "pillow talk" with Clay, because, well, the boy does love to talk!)

Over the course of AI2, Clay went from closed eyes during most of a song to really reaching out and embracing the audience each time. His body became less inhibited as the show progressed; his "inner dancer" is even now in the process of being set free.
    We saw him move from the "Aw, shucks!" guy who mouthed "Thank you." every time someone cheered or praised him to the confident but not cocky performer who OWNED that stage on BOTW as he seemed to sing directly to everyone there and in the TV audience.

If Clay comes to be seen as more experienced sexually -- he gets married or has an affair -- and if he starts taking himself seriously as a sex object, I'm sure it won't hurt his appeal as a singer, but it will pop quite a few fantasy bubbles, and he may lose some of his special appeal to women and girls. (Paradoxically, it might make him more acceptable to the Hollywood in-crowd, though.)

Anyway, this analysis and about $5 will get you a double latte at Starbucks!
    Last edited by Grisabella; 07-18-2003 at 11:09 PM.
    Dogs have owners. Cats have staff. ;-D

Fade to black
    All this talk about sex, pillow talk and how Clay looks. A little too much for me. I don't see why anyone would fantasize about something they could never have in the first place. I know that's the literal term of fantasy, but to me fantasy is much better realized when it's possible.

I don't think Clay is God.

I don't think he's the best singer in the world, the best looking, the funniest, the most endearing. He's just a little bit of all of that and I like the way he sings and I enjoyed watching his transformation. It's as simple as that for me. But I'm a male, so what do I know?

How's that for a 2000th post? I promised greenie I'd stop posting in the AI forums, so I'm gonna. But it's appropriate I make #2000 here so I'm sure she'll forgive me this once. Not like I could ever stop reading this forum, but at least I'll refrain from responding, it gets me into too much trouble.

Keep on loving, stop the hating. Yea. Something like that.
    Last edited by hazyshadeof; 07-18-2003 at 11:20 PM.
    I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star in somebody else's eyes... but why... why... why can't it be me?

Yikes! My 12 year old is in here!! Please ladies!!

FORT Regular
    I like Clays Voice .I like Clays personality.
    I like his Quick Witt...
    It was fun watching him grow...and improve himself..and take unconstructive critism without being argumentive.
    Noone had more obsticles then Clay....
    He took loss like noone else could have..He did not make a sad puppy dog face...He lead the CHEER for Ruben...
    Does he say recount.....No he says I am happy..
    I appreciate your concern and I am grateful to fans.... but invest your time in volunteering to help others...
    Even now with his album being released so that he will miss out on a oportunity for a award..He holds not grudges....
    Do we think he is God....Don't be silly...
    Do we idolize him...Well whats the name of the show again??

FORT Newbie
    Great points, everybody.

I don't think this has been mentioned - a large group of people feel alienated by today's music. It doesn't speak to their life experiences or their tastes. If they follow music at all, they're reduced to listening to the Oldies or classics.

And through Clay, they see the opportunity to have their voices heard. They want pop music they can sing along to. And an emphasis on voice rather than studio production. And AI/Clay has provided them with that opportunity.

And, on a personal note, part of why I like Clay is his fans. There are so many intelligent and witty posts. And many are kind too. Y'all almost always bring a smile to my face.

Oregonian4Clay
    In a nutshell, I think Clay's sexuality is so spellbinding to so many women because it's elusive, enigmatic, subtle, just under the surface.

It's the promise of more and better things to come. The promise of a smoldering libido that seems pretty much an unmined motherlode at present. Clay's sexuality seems to be like a dormant volcano that's making rumbling noises like it could erupt at any time. (As of that Pittsburgh concert, it reminds me a lot of Mt. St. Helens about May 15, 2000.)

In case some of you are too young or to far away from the Pacific NW to remember, St. Helens blew its top on May 18, 2000, after rumbling and spouting steam intermittently for two or three months.

And hazy knows me, so I think he'll take this the right way: I believe every bit I'll meet Clay and charm the pants off of him (pun intended) in the same way I charm everybody else. The fantasy is within the real of possibility. I fantasize about a singing serenade...not wild nights or snogging. I fantasize about just meeting the dang guy...

I do think that there is a smoldering mojo vibe going on-- and I think it has to do with Clay's increasing confidence...and that weird little glow he has when he sings. The fans feel it, he feeds off it and gives it back-- and the fans get crrazy.

I'm fully one with the fact that my obsession is odd...even...disconcerting.

But as someone who always has "specialized interests", I've learned to actually use it to my advantage (and not as something that alienates)-- I'm always charming and memorable at dinner parties.

Remember the last two weeks of the competition, when the media was all about Ruben and Clay was not getting any attention. I knew then that after the show was over the media--who obviously had not been watching--would explode with the realization that Clay had a huge and dedicated fan base. They (the media) were genuinely surprised because they had only been listening to Simon or reading press releases. On the Clay thread we were all saying, "Hey, pay attention! Clay is something special," but the media was not listening, so all you saw on TV, magazines, or newspapers was Ruben, Ruben, Ruben.

Now they media is jumping on the story that they missed at the time. And they are asking why Ruben is not being treated like a winner. They are scratching their heads and trying to figure out what happened.

Just imagine if some entertainment (or even news) reporter had really watched the show and checked out the internet. I said back then that they had missed the entertainment story of our age. We loved this story because it was real and not manufactured and because it was like the plot of the fairy tales we loved as children:

A not very attractive young man, with a wonderful talent, has been unnoticed and underappreciated by the world. The girls he would like to date say, "Let's just be friends," and the music world will not open its doors to him.

And then one day he get invited to the big party. Magically, others help him to transform himself into a handsome prince and the world sees how talented and gorgeous he is. Now all the girls want him and the world is at his feet.

I love this story. I am drawn to any book or movie based on the Cinderella story, so when I see it in reality, I am enthralled.
    "Once more into the breach, dear friends!"

...and just to add, I will probably buy Ruben's new CD...because I feel a part of "making" him, too-- just like Clay (only I exerted way more effort on account of Clay). I'm curious. And...I care about their careers. And K-Lo, too-- and to a certain extent, I care about all the AI contestants (top 12, and even JD Adams--I liked him) because I believed in the illusion that I got to know them, that my "vote(s)" mattered-- that I, little 'ol me, contributed to their successes...or not.

With Clay, I really did latch onto his train-- quick. I loved him and a number of others from the geto-go (auditions)-- just loved their sound.

And I don't think Clay is perfection-- but I feel like his PR person...I want to "sell" him. Why on earth would I want to go on about his faults?

And fans are...by defenition, a shortened version of "fanatics"...Clay's fans tend to be...fanatical. So be it. Let it be. It's amusing at best, disturbing at worst.

We're working our arses off for the kid, for no pay. Least we deseve to see him shine and get good press. That's all. Unfortunately, the media seem more hypnotised by the more intense and fanatical of us fanatics...who wouldn't be?

Just me...babbling.

FORT Fanatic
    [QUOTE=Grisabella]-----------
    --------------
    I agree with your post, but didn't want to quote the whole thing...
    -------------
    If Clay comes to be seen as more experienced sexually -- he gets married or has an affair -- and if he starts taking himself seriously as a sex object, I'm sure it won't hurt his appeal as a singer, but it will pop quite a few fantasy bubbles, and he may lose some of his special appeal to women and girls. (Paradoxically, it might make him more acceptable to the Hollywood in-crowd, though.)

QUOTE]

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    Part of Clays sex appeal, and again, I'm speaking only of image, is that he could be the shy, inexperienced, bumbling, perhaps virginal, lover, the guy next door, therefore, making him much more attainable to the average female. Unlike other pop stars who may alienate fans with their overt, flamboyant sexuality, Clay gives off an impression of innocence, innocent sexuality, which appeals to the older , mature Mrs. Robinson type, fans.......and appeals to the younger less experienced in the ways of the world, fans who fantasize about traveling with him on this mysterious journey into the world of the flesh.

and I repeat, I'm speaking only of image, and I'm trying to reply without offending any young'uns.

But, I think, unfortunately for him....that that innocence is a major part of his appeal for alot of his fans, and I hear some grumblings on the board that Clays admitted crush on Carmen has burst a few fantasy bubbles already.
    Last edited by Wishin I was 24; 07-19-2003 at 12:27 PM.
    Why is it that kamikaze gnats always aim for my drink?

+ Reply to Thread