+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Idol' Judge Lands $2M Book Deal

'Idol' Judge Lands $2M Book Deal

From CNN:

LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- Music producer Simon Cowell, the brutally blunt judge on Fox television's "American Idol," has signed a $2 million deal with Random House for a book about the hit TV talent show, his agent said Tuesday.

The publishing pact was struck about a week ago, just after Cowell reached a deal with Fox television to return for an upcoming third edition of "Idol" that debuts in January and two additional installments, reportedly for $150,000 per episode.

As part of that deal, Cowell also will develop new projects under his own newly formed production outfit, Simcow Ltd. Last week, CBS premiered yet another series created and produced by Cowell, the reality dating show "Cupid."

His new book, to be titled "I Don't Mean to be Rude, But ...," is set to be published December 2 in the United States and Canada by Broadway Books, an imprint of the Doubleday Broadway Publishing Group under the Random House division of Bertelsmann AG .

Co-authored by his older brother, British journalist Tony Cowell, the book will provide an insider's view of "American Idol" from the judge who helped make the show a hit with his acerbic, withering opinions of contestants vying on national TV to be instant pop stars.

The book also will chronicle the British-born Cowell's 25-year career as a manager and executive in the recording industry and offer practical tips for making it big in the music business, said his literary agent, Luke Janklow, who negotiated the publishing deal.

Janklow, who put the value of the deal at about $2 million, said the book was being written now "at quite a healthy pace."

"His book will be wicked and witty but it will also be very helpful to those millions of 'American Idol' viewers who hope to be stars and want to know how to accomplish their dreams," Doubleday Broadway editor-in-chief William Thomas said in a statement.

Ay yi yi, I remember him mentioning once that the "real" story was behind the scenes (he alluded to some not-so-flattering stories). Mmmm...I'm hoping he only criticizes their talents and doesn't get too personal.

This will be quite interesting.
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

FORT Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by Shazzer
    Ay yi yi, I remember him mentioning once that the "real" story was behind the scenes (he alluded to some not-so-flattering stories). Mmmm...I'm hoping he only criticizes their talents and doesn't get too personal.

This will be quite interesting.
    Simon not getting too personal? I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. Well, actually, I AM holding my breath....scared to see what he'll write about all our "friends".

Interesting that everyone else is forbidden to talk about AI because of confidentiality agreements. Wonder if that was Simon's idea so he could sell his book.

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zippy
    Interesting that everyone else is forbidden to talk about AI because of confidentiality agreements. Wonder if that was Simon's idea so he could sell his book.

That is a good question. Why are the others forbidden to talk but yet Simon hasn't shut up about anything???

Hug me!
    May be his book will explain why he dislikes Clay so much.

Quote Originally Posted by ruben_of_205
    May be his book will explain why he dislikes Clay so much.
    I've wondered about that, too, ruben_of_205. It seemed to me that Simon's attitude towards Clay changed somewhere along the way. It was pretty clear from the beginning that Clay was not Simon's favorite, even when Simon had to admit Clay sang well. But, by the time the competition was over, I think the dislike thing became quite evident. Simon has no reason, now, to slam Clay, but he does so at every opportunity. I just don't buy the theory that he likes to anger Clay fans so they'll buy more records. I think he has a real grudge against Clay. Just my opinion.
    Ipse dixit.

Simon also had a grudge against Will Young who won the UK version apparently.
    "That's Numberwang!"

yeah, I knew this was coming. All I know is that this is really bad news for Clay IMO. That's the reason Simon sold his interests in both Clay & Ruben, because he can't wait to stick his personal feelings about singers he hates. I hope, and this is not a bash now, that his Cupid show continues to decline in ratings as well as AI3. I really don't ike Simon. Can't wait on the tell all on Simon written by ANONYMOUS LOL!!!! Ok now I will post this in my Cashing In thread.

Lame. Won't buy it. Huge waste of RH money.

I'll let all of you tell me what he says.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast