+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Tamyra,Kelly - Teen Choice Awards

Congrats to Kelly and Ruben! I'm sure they'll have fun with those surfboards.

Um...what else...oh yes, I always watch the Academy Awards and the Grammys. Notorious for being biased, short-sighted, narrow-minded, ignorant, or just down-right puzzling when making their picks. I doubt all of those winners represent the choices of the people. Doesn't matter to me - still good fluffy entertainment during the evenings.

As for TPTB fixin' the results so that He-Who-Shall-Not-Named doesn't outdo The Round Mound of Sound...the Award itself is pretty insignificant (I think we can all agree on that) - I doubt Fox or 19E felt the need to fix its results.

And, um....Clay is more popular than Ruben at the moment, at least judging by this forum. Good? Done! Next! (Please, I beg all of you merciful people...)

Last edited by nausicaa; 08-14-2003 at 01:10 AM.

FORT Regular
    the Award itself is pretty insignificant (I think we can all agree on that) - I doubt Fox or 19E felt the need to fix its results.
    At this point, they already look pretty bad. They desperately needed Ruben to best Clay in something, anything, in order to legitimize the results in the eyes of the public. These awards are the one thing they have control over--unlike sales, airplay, or concert reactions. It makes perfect sense. I'm not saying this is definetly what happened, just that it was/would have been a cunning plan.

Quote Originally Posted by ruben_of_205
    Oh god.. come on.. not another conspiracy theory. :rolleyes Can you just be happy for the people that won and shut up about the conspiracy. PLEASE ?

Grisabella, I found your post the most ingenuine of all crap. First you applaud for those that won then.. you come back and say.. hey... Psssst... "by the way, it's fixed".
    Ruben, this is not about "conspiracy," except in an oblique way.
    I believe Fox is actually "up front" about this selection process. That is, I have read that this is the process they SAY they use.

It's just that, having officially stated that -- somewhere --, they CALL it "Teen Choice" and leave the impression that it's based on votes.

To me, it's typical of "reality TV" shows. We KNOW that the clips we see of contestants on "Survivor" are chosen by CBS from pretty much 24/7 footage, yet it's hard not to buy into the images they present to us of the various contestants by virtue of what they choose to air.
    It's like Ryan Seacrest claiming that "over 17 million of you voted," when in reality he knew only how many VOTES got through.

IF it is true that "winning" means Fox et al. chose you out of the top 4, that IS an honor of one sort. But I don't like the public being encouraged to believe the winner got the most votes, if it isn't necessarily true.

If what I have read is true, the media moguls can continue to hype whomever they choose, to further their own money-making power. If they don't want Evan Mariott or Bob from The Bachelorette or Justin Guarini or Clay Aiken or Tamyra Gray or someone to win, for whatever reason, that person won't. If they want Ryan Seacrest and Paula Abdul or Kobe Bryant to win, all they have to do is place in the top 4.

I have praised both Kelly C. and Ruben on their talents and accomplishments, but how is it insincere for me to clarify the publicly acknowledged nature of this award? They obviously scored in the top 4 out of who knows how many possible choices and TPTB saw fit to give them the top honor.

My quarrel is with the manipulative practices reality TV shows, not with any contestants. If "The Oscars" were presented as though the moviegoing public chose the winners, that would be misleading too. But they aren't.

PS., If the information I have read is incorrect, please do set the record straight.
    Last edited by Grisabella; 08-14-2003 at 04:27 AM.
    Dogs have owners. Cats have staff. ;-D

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah728
    At this point, they already look pretty bad. They desperately needed Ruben to best Clay in something, anything, in order to legitimize the results in the eyes of the public. These awards are the one thing they have control over--unlike sales, airplay, or concert reactions. It makes perfect sense. I'm not saying this is definetly what happened, just that it was/would have been a cunning plan.
    I strongly doubt 19e has the power to fix the results and what posible reason would Fox have for wanting to do so?

Fox has made their advertising revenue out of AI2, why would they care whether Ruben wins Teen Choice Awards or not?
    American Idol is shown on Fox, beyond that, why would that Network care about the result?

Clay has higher CD sales and possibly many more people would have watched the show had they known he would be either appearing in person or via satellite to pick up and award.
    If Fox were going to fix the results, wouldn't it make more sense to give an award to Clay and cash in on the advertising revenue that would bring?

Companies aren't asking for their advertising dollars back because of the result and despite the claims of many angry fans after the finale, I imagine that most, thankfully, have the result and the show in general in perspective now and will watch season 3, meaning Fox continue to rake in the advertising millions.

I don't think Ruben could win his church raffle without someone questioning the legitimacy of the result.
    "That's Numberwang!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234