+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Article On Grace Leer/Recording Contracts For Juniors?

FORT Fanatic

Article On Grace Leer/Recording Contracts For Juniors?

The following is an article from the Contra Costa Times (released today). Grace's semi-final performance was one of the few I didn't hear, but there is something very interesting in this article that I bolded.
    (Credit: http://www.bayarea.com/mld/cctimes/e...nt/6293985.htm)

TO HEAR the booming version of "To Sir With Love" and realize it came out Grace Leer's tiny 11-year-old frame is to be floored.

The Danville youngster was hoping to be the next (albeit younger) Kelly Clarkson when she sang her way into a group of 20 semifinalists last month on Fox's "American Juniors." The younger version of "American Idol," hosted by Ryan Seacrest, will identify five young performers, ages 6 to 13, to become members of a heavily promoted kids' pop band.

Unfortunately, Leer's rendition of the 1967 song made famous by Lulu didn't propel her to the final five and young "idol" stature. Still, her talent was obvious, and Leer's parents have been fielding a flow of recording offers -- some promising, some bogus.

But for now, Leer, whose Danville Mustangs soccer team won the state championship, plans to continue playing soccer, enjoying her summer and plodding away on a steady path toward becoming a professional vocalist. She was recently encouraged anew when she reviewed videos of all her past school talent-show performances, all the way back to the first grade.

"I was not that good," she says with a Cheshire smile. "But then I heard my fifth-grade one. I was like, "Wow, I've really changed."

Q: How did you first hear about "American Juniors"?

A I heard about it from my voice teacher ... She just said, "Did you hear about this new show?"

Q: What did you think when she first suggested it to you? Were you like, 'Oh, yeah, for sure"?

A Yeah, I wanted to do it, because ever since "American Idol" I was like, "They should make a younger show."

Q: How would you describe your first audition in L.A.?

A It was a long, long wait. It was fun also, because we met a lot of people in line. I wasn't really competitive at the time. I wasn't really scared, but I was really nervous about what they were going to think of me. But you know, I just did my best.

Q: What was your reaction when you found out you made the top 20?

A When they said my number and "you're coming back for a second audition," I was like, eek! I didn't want to scream onstage or anything. But I was really excited.

Q: Were you nervous to go onstage?

A It's like a lucky thing for me: Before I go onstage, I'm really nervous, but when I get onstage, all the nerves go away. One time before the first show that we did, everybody was so nervous and so wound up that we started singing behind the stage, all 10 of us, and then we got in a line and we went around the building, out of the building, around into the garage, out again. We were walking everywhere in a line and then we finally got in a circle, and we were looking at people's shoes for some reason.

Q: What do you think it takes to make it as "American Idol" junior?

A You have to have a voice, but you also have to have a personality and the attitude. Because if you go up there and just sing and not smile or have fun, people can see it.

Q: Any role models?

A Kelly Clarkson. She has a really strong voice, a really good personality. She doesn't take the fame too seriously.

Q: Do you remember some of the judges' reactions?

A All the judges' comments were really nice. I mostly remember Justin (Guarini), who said, "First of all, you are absolutely beautiful." Debbie Gibson said, "Very nice job," or something like that. Gladys Knight said, "You have a richness in your voice," and stuff like that.

Q: Were you terribly disappointed not to make the final five?

A Yeah, everybody was, but I got over it pretty fast. I still have these moments when I think about it too much, and get teary-eyed. But it's not like every time I hear "American Juniors" I cry my eyes out.

Q: So what happens now?

A I'm just going back to my regular life. I want to play soccer still. I'm still watching, because now those competitors have turned into friends.

awww, I love that part about them going around the building singing in a line lol, so cute, Grace Is Awesome!

FORT Fanatic
    Wow, but if she's getting recording offers; then wouldn't that mean all the five finalists who don't make the group would get even better deals?

Not necessarily anything better, just offers. Their parents have to be very careful about who they deal with. Being on TV can bring all sorts of people out of the woodwork trying to make money off these kids.

FORT Newbie
    Oh goodie...
    Another 'adult' oriented thread.

Does anyone know if even those who didn't make the final 10 are free to pursue contracts?? I would find it very odd if they didn't have some financial commitment back to the AJ Producers, similar to what the finalists will have. And yes Zippy, sadly you are right.. oddballs abound when it comes to children in the biz.. and why? You have parents who will say anything to help their child (and I don't mean this negatively - it's the nature of being a parent). There is a huge 'emotional' factor when dealing with kids that is different for adults.

Also.. as I mentioned earlier.. getting contracts, getting representation isn't that difficult for kids. Someone will sign up these kids on the off chance it is worthwhile later. It doesn't mean, unfortunately, that they are set in their careers.

P

FORT Fanatic
    "Oh goodie...
    Another 'adult' oriented thread."

That an inside joke I'm missing?

Quote Originally Posted by YeahYeah
    Wow, but if she's getting recording offers; then wouldn't that mean all the five finalists who don't make the group would get even better deals?
    doubtful, imo grace had the second best performance in the semi-finals EASILY better than most of the finalists.

FORT Fanatic
    I don't think everyone will. Grace had a voice that was very very very strong. With maturing and work, Grace would and could be an easy market to sell. I did like Grace. She had a beautiful voice. I hope she makes it far.
    Congratulations Tori and Taylor!

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Dani321
    I don't think everyone will. Grace had a voice that was very very very strong. With maturing and work, Grace would and could be an easy market to sell. I did like Grace. She had a beautiful voice. I hope she makes it far.
    Dani:

I almost always agree with you and I hate to be the negative one here...but realistically, we probably will never hear from these kids again if they don't make the group...everyone seems to be so optimistic thinking that all the kids who don't make it will get solo careers...I'd be surprised if even one of them goes solo within the next couple years.

As far as Grace goes, she was one of my favorites from group one and I even threw some votes her way. I'm still amazed that she had such a big voice for such a little girl. But if she can't even get voted into the Top 10 by American on this show, she probably isn't as marketable as you think.

The music buying public is fickle...and although there are exceptions to the rule, most pop stars today sell because of their IMAGE not their talent...look at singers like Ashanti and Britney Spears- the sad thing is most of the kids in the top 10 have better voices than them but will never see half the success.

So even though this girl has a great voice, unless a record label can build up a good story on her and give her some sort of edge to her image...she will probably never release her own record.

Also, keep in mind that record labels sign many artists whose records will never hit the shelves. Especially for someone undiscovered, labels don't have to pay a big advance for the artist to sign.

Record labels don't look for the most talented artists, they look for the most marketable...with that in mind, I see Tori Thompson and Chantel Kohl as having the most marketable images of the Top 10.

I know you meant well in your post though...I just had something to add.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by YeahYeah
    "Oh goodie...
    Another 'adult' oriented thread."

That an inside joke I'm missing?
    Sorry YeahYeah. I didn't mean it as good or bad. I started a thread awhile back that was looking at this process from an adult point of view (because I am an adult). Most of the posts here are kids swooning.. which is all good, too! :-)

P

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast