+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Article On Grace Leer/Recording Contracts For Juniors?

FORT Fan
    I have to agree..not even making the top ten I dont see much of a future in recording contracts..

as for the other kids? I do think chantel and/or lucy could get record contracts, with or without the group...

I also think Canyon will get some sort of modeling/commercials/tv deals...based on looks..
    and I think Katelyn Tarver can go far in tv/commericals.. again based on looks..Chancey is such a sweet little charmer...again, modeling/tv for him too...based on looks

the fact is that kids recordings are not much of a market...kid records, sure...or a "fluke" like when LeeAnn Rimes, Charlotte Church first came out...
    years ago Little Stevie Wonder was a kid star too LOL>>> yes..it happens...but NOT often...
    to think that all 10, or 20 ...or whatever are going to get record contracts and be on MTV is wishful thinking IMHO

FORT Newbie
    I keep feeling like a wet blanket here..

But, the thing is, for each of these kids, their only marketable advantage is what is tied to the show (and we have to wonder what they will be allowed to do by the producers given the contracts they have all signed).

Yes, Canyon might get a job offered to him so that someone will cash in on his marketability..but there are no 'deals' for commercials and modeling for kids. Someone might choose to have 'the kid from American Juniors' sell their cereal.. but Canyon as just himself is not going to be the only cute kid in town. Eventually, if they continue to pursue this, they will be competing with the other 8,000 union kids in Los Angeles alone, for their work. And those over night sensations you often think you see, are rarely a reality in Hollywood.

And why do I care? I worry because I feel these kids are getting so many messages telling them what 'stars' they are and will be. To go from obscurity, to your 15 minutes of fame (if that) back to regular can be a rough road. Certainly doable, but I just hope they each have a voice of reason somewhere, and that these kids and families don't just have stars in their eyes. Dreams are one thing (and I encourage all children to go for their dreams)... but reality quite another. I am in the entertainment industry and I know first hand how hurtful and harsh it can be. They are all unique and special and wonderful just for who they are.

P

FORT Newbie
    This is Kristinia DeBarge's Auntie here.....

I'm glad to hear that Grace is going after her dreams. I'm sure she is going to make it big someday.

I also wanted to let you all know that Kristinia has been getting a flood of calls from recording labels and agents as well. My sister has been handling these calls very delicately. I'm not sure a recording contract for a 13 year is the best thing right now. Kristinia really needs to enjoy her youth.

The industry is in a rough spot and is churning out artists trying for hits. I think it might be best to keep her with her peers and focus on plays and any potential casting for kids shows and commercials.
    I think she should focus on her stage presence and practice her singing and movement. a lot of practice and stage time will give her a strong base of confidence for the challenging times ahead. in all likelyhood she is probably better served by being a little more mature and experienced before going thru the machine. an important thing to remeber is most kids don't make it for the long haul. We want to her to have a long career and not peak too early.

At any rate, i think this would be good advice for all the kids. Just my thoughts.

FORT Fanatic
    TheTruth, I'm sure these children--some of them at least--will make it far. you're forgetting how most of today's stars got started. Mickey Mouse Club. Star Search. Shows like these are merely stepping stones for big things to come. The two I mentioned above in particular have spawned off more talent than most people know. Just not singers, but actresses, dancers, even comedians. Do I believe we'll be seeing some of these kids again one day? Absolutely. And they'll be showing clips back to this show.
    Congratulations Tori and Taylor!

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Dani321
    TheTruth, I'm sure these children--some of them at least--will make it far. you're forgetting how most of today's stars got started. Mickey Mouse Club. Star Search. Shows like these are merely stepping stones for big things to come. The two I mentioned above in particular have spawned off more talent than most people know. Just not singers, but actresses, dancers, even comedians. Do I believe we'll be seeing some of these kids again one day? Absolutely. And they'll be showing clips back to this show.
    Sure...singers like Britney, Justin, and Christina got their start in MMC...but the reason they are so popular today is because record labels took time to develop them and gave them an image makeover, which is the point I'm trying to make...nobody who watched them on MMC had them earmarked for this type of success.

Some of the kids on the show may enjoy some success- I'm not arguing with that...but it's not going to happen anytime soon. If we hear from them again, it will be when they are much older and have an image that is going to sell records...and when we have long forgotten about watching them on some show called American Juniors.

Also, I would like to add that when projecting stardom for these kids, the "x-factor" is more important than a great singing voice...the "x-factor" is something that will make an artist appealing in music videos, interviews, etc...and judging from what I've seen so far, Tori Thompson and Chantel Kohl have the x-factor (which is incredible at their young ages)...the others have potential, but it's too early to tell.

FORT Regular
    I think Kristinia, Morgan, AJ and Lucy have the x-factor. I think these kids are definitely going places.

FORT Fogey
    I'm sort of surprised she got a few record deal offers, or w/e. She was good, nothing great to me. She definitely needs some vocal training, though. Her problems are: control of voice, minor pitch problems, and she tends to over-sing a bit sometimes. JMO But I DO know music.
    -Rach

FORT Fogey
    To Kristinia's aunt:

I thought Kristinia should've made it to the Top 10, IMO. She's a very beautiful girl, and she can sing well, too. I agree, she's only 13- and needs time to be a kid. As she gets older, her voice will mature, too, even though it already is amazing. I can see her in the future with a good career, and give her all of our love and support, as I know many of the members here enjoyed her.

-Rach

FORT Newbie
    To Auntie Lisa..
    THANK YOU! That is exactly what I've been hoping someone actually involved with any of the kids would say. I'm sure your sister is doing a great job and Kristinia will flourish in whatever she attempts in life.
    I wondered if you would consider answering one question directly? Within the contract provisions, are the kids who didn't make the final cut still bound to managment and/or the producers of AJ in any way? Or are they free to pursue what they would like?

In case you missed my intro elsewhere, I am an adult who is very involved in protection and exploitation issues for children in the entertainment industry.

Thanks..
    P

To Pippin:

You asked "Within the contract provisions, are the kids who didn't make the final cut still bound to managment and/or the producers of AJ in any way? Or are they free to pursue what they would like?"

To answer your question, the kids are free to pursue what they would like after a certain amount of time...not too long.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast