+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Next Theme = Songs from 1971?

I wish they had themes like American Idol such as Motown and such, it was always fun to watch.. The year thing is too confusing for me.
    ~*Tennessee Sweetheart*~

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by YeahYeah
    No, as for the person who said have non-year themes, that's not what I meant.

I mean, I want to see them move into the 80s and 90s as well. Unless the group is trying to reinvent the early 70s, what they're doing is pointless.
    I don't think the group is trying to reinvent the 70s...most of the songs that have been chosen are timeless.

Also...there are a couple problems with moving into 80s and 90s: 1) it will start to get tougher to find tasteful songs for children to sing (and it's already tough enough). 2) newer songs cost more money for clearance (although they did show they were willing to clear more recent songs for the Top 20 round)

I like what they are doing...at least they are giving the children who watch a good history lesson.

:+:Lucy and Katey:+: CanyonsSis's Avatar
    I hope AJ sings Puppy Love and Chantel sings Lean on Me
    Keeper Of:
    AJ's "Still" performance
    Danielle's "Daydream Believer" performance
    Katelyn's brother Drew
    MY PENPAL: AMERICANBABE

Jordan Fan + #1 Cedes fan trunks's Avatar
    *has only heard of about 7 of those songs*

I hope someone does Ben, though.

i hope sum1 does Ben too cuz like im a big jackson fan and id b impressed if sum1 does that cuz michael has a high voice and stuff and its a pretty hard song to sing

wait nvm no 1 is gonna do Ben its not from 1971 but Got to Be There from michael jackson is

i mean man gettin mixed up wid da years got to be there from 1972 me bads

Quote Originally Posted by TheTruth
    I don't think the group is trying to reinvent the 70s...most of the songs that have been chosen are timeless.

Also...there are a couple problems with moving into 80s and 90s: 1) it will start to get tougher to find tasteful songs for children to sing (and it's already tough enough). 2) newer songs cost more money for clearance (although they did show they were willing to clear more recent songs for the Top 20 round)

I like what they are doing...at least they are giving the children who watch a good history lesson.
    I love hearing the oldies, and I agree that it is easier to find songs with lyrics that kids can sing if you stick to pre-1980. But YeahYeah makes a good point. If they are trying to showcase a "New Pop Sensation" as I believe Ryan called it, they had better start showing that they can look and sound like a Pop Group for 2003, not 1973.

Jackson5is#1: The songs don't have to be in the Top 100 Hits for that year, they just have to have been in release then. Some of these songs came out in one year and made it to the top of the charts the next year. So some work for more than one year.
    Last edited by zippy; 07-15-2003 at 04:59 AM.

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by zippy
    I love hearing the oldies, and I agree that it is easier to find songs with lyrics that kids can sing if you stick to pre-1980. But YeahYeah makes a good point. If they are trying to showcase a "New Pop Sensation" as I believe Ryan called it, they had better start showing that they can look and sound like a Pop Group for 2003, not 1973.
    Okay...I agree...I would like to see them switch it up, but they better do it carefully...I thought that the movie song choices from Group One (Reflection, Colors of the Wind, A Whole New World) were such PERFECT song choices and I hope that they can go in that direction with something like a Movies Night...also allowing the kids to pick their favorite song from a movie will likely bring out more of their personality.

The thing I'm most afraid of if they allow more recent songs is that Lucy and Chantel are gonna pick Celine songs...I'm almost certain they would.

Also, another note...I'm not sure if they only allowed certain songs to be sung in auditions, but it seemed like almost all the kids already were singing really old songs before the competition even started.

Oh...and everyone who is bringing up "Ben"...I don't think I can hear that song again after the way Nikki McKibbin slaughtered it.

It's sensei time! Masai & Pygmie's Avatar
    I could see Morgan doin' a Gilbert O'Sullivan song - he was a great dance performer as well. Not Alone again...too melancholy, but Claire would do the trick, especially if he whistles it in.

Wow - I was a junior in '71 - the producers are sure catering to the boomer nostalgia. Some great songs.
    "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake." -- Henry David Thoreau

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast