+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My goodness this show is bad!!!!

I've smoked Cat Nip...... Leviathan's Avatar

My goodness this show is bad!!!!

I just started reading this website and haven't come across anyone stating how badly produced this show is.

Has anyone noticed that the lack of a live audience makes this show seems so "High School AV Club"??

There is absolutely no emotion in the room, the singers look like they don't know who to sing to and the silence after the performances is sickening. I don't know if I can even continue to watch if it stays like this - and I'm a huge fan of the 19 Entertainment products.

And the host - dear God please make it stop!!! He could carry all the early stuff cause it was very "AI-like" with all the early auditions, etc - but now that he has to use his personality to carry the show inbetween performances, it's absolutely horrible. In all seriousness, I think the show would be better off without a host at all. If you don't have a live audience, why a host???? Just let the folks wander around and sing whenever they feel like it. Trust me, doing that would have more production value than what's going on right now.

Watching the first show I kept thinking, "Is this actually the end product they want us to see"??? I thought I was watching a bad skit from SNL about Canadian Idol.

Anytime you watch what is supposed to be a "big show" and you can hear the production crew moving around and making lil' sounds, it loses all integrity and reputation-builing ability.

The singers are pretty good - but I really don't know if I put myself through this amazingly badly produced mess anymore. It's like it's being shot in the basement of some rich guy who always wanted his own Idol show and hired everyone to put on a show specifically for him.

Anyone else notice this at all or am I being too picky here???

FORT Fogey
    Lack of live audience??? There is no live audience in the top 30 in American Idol either.

All your other points don't really make a difference to me, personally. There just small things that i don't notice.

The one point that i agree with you though, VERY strongly, is Ben Mulroney. I can't stand him, he is the worst host damn it! Find someone better.

I hated the top 30 groups on AI too. It also had a 'done in someone's basement' feel to it. I imagine when it comes down to the top 10, like AI, the production will be much better. I believe there is a live audience then as well.

I don't really notice the production mistakes you're talking about - odd, since I spent a year working in television and I usually notice things like that.

I do however think one or two things will happen. Ben will get better and grow into the role or Jon Dore will take over.

I agree that Ben's just awful right now. He still has that stilted way of talking which he probably developed for eTalk Daily (those types of shows always have people who talk like that). He sounds like he's trying to be something he's not. But I'm sure we're not the only ones who noticed. It's possible that the people in charge will tell him what's wrong and he'll try to fix it. I think for his type of personality, he shouldn't try to joke around as much as he does, because it's not natural to him.
    The lack of live audience does feel strange strange, but the competitors do clap for each other.
    The only other thing that bugs me that's specific to the Canadian version is the use of the word "competitor." I know it's a small complaint, but it seems more natural for me to say "contestant."

I have all the performances on mp3 and I don't detect any background noise. Maybe you have better TV sound than I do or you're just perceptive like a .

I agree with Siso and Miss Filangi. While the production is not perfect, the spirit of the show is there. The AI top 32 had its rough spots as well.

I agree with Miss F.
    I don't like the top 30/32 stage on AI either.
    I'm sure CI will pull out the stops once we have a top 10 and will get a decent setting, background music etc.
    "That's Numberwang!"

cho
    FORT Regular
    I thought it looked eerily the same as the first season of AI did at this stage of the competition... I doubt the live audience shows will be quite as good, but I think it should be better than this for sure.

And I agree with all of you on Ben... but it's only been one week of the live "host" type stuff so I'll give him time

Quote Originally Posted by fluff
    I agree with Miss F.
    I don't like the top 30/32 stage on AI either.
    I'm sure CI will pull out the stops once we have a top 10 and will get a decent setting, background music etc.
    I actually prefer the CI stage. The AI stage was way too decorative and overdone. It was a distraction.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Filangi
    Ben will get better and grow into the role or Jon Dore will take over.
    You know what? Dore appeared a lot more relaxed sitting next to Ben in the last show. If he toned down his Jim Carrey comic expressions, he'd make a decent host.

I've smoked Cat Nip...... Leviathan's Avatar
    I figured it out!!!! I know what was missing last show!!

After watching last night, I realized that the kids in the "Red Room" were the ones who were the "audience" on AI. THEY were the ones who would "ohhhhh" and "awwwww" whenever the judges would say something negative or clap when they would say something good.

There was no focus on the "Red Room" last week and they barely made a noise. Maybe the producers heard my complaint, because this week the "Red Room" was more vocal and reacted to the judges comments. Plus the kids clapped louder this week. It felt a lot better for me this week - too bad he singers were not as good!!

Ph.D. Pending
    I agree with you Leviathan, I think this is a really bad show that fails in its intention to highlight Canadian talent. I have not been paying enough attention to notice any technical difficulties but it does feel more like a parody of a talent show or an SNL skit as you said.

The thing that strikes me is that there is quite a large gap between the talent you see on AI and what is shown on CI. I know it is early but thus far there is nobody there that strikes me as being a superstar let alone a commercially viable artist.

Just my two cents...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast