+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: High School Juniors?

Snellville... hometown of music's next big superstar.
    Quote Originally Posted by maleady33
    Yeah. Hey- are you a Katelyn fan? www.4stepwebsite.com/vote4katelyn

-Rach
    Yes, Katelyn is awesome!! I could listen to her and Danielle all day. Katelyn's got my vote.
    YDiana DeGarmo One VoiceY

She dreamed... the impossible dream. She fought the unbeatable foe.
    She's still standing better than she ever did...

This is it! This time I know it's for real.

MY AMERICAN IDOL
    Did you think this fool could never win? Look at her, she's coming back again!

FORT Fanatic
    Published Monday
    June 23, 2003

Omaha teenager resonates with star potential

BY KIM ROBERTS

WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER
    When she was younger, Chantel Kohl would lock herself in her room and sing for hours. Her parents worried that she would lose her voice but were too spellbound by her singing to make her stop.

"Whenever she started to sing, people would come out of their rooms and just listen," said Todd Kohl, Chantel's father. "You couldn't help yourself."

These days, Chantel, 13, is still logging hours of practice. But she is now performing in front of the millions who tune into Fox's "American Juniors."

Two weeks ago, Chantel was selected for the show, a spinoff of "American Idol" for children ages 6 to 13. The Omaha teen will compete Tuesday against nine semifinalists. Another group of 10 semifinalists was reduced to five last week.

How did a girl from Omaha make it to the bright lights of Los Angeles?

Chantel couldn't answer the question because Fox is not allowing its young contestants to grant interviews.

But her father, speaking by phone from (i)Structure Inc., where he is a security guard, said she has advanced because of her hard work, vivacious spirit and positive outlook.

She also has a terrific voice, says a former music teacher.

"She already has that power and energy and control that usually comes with years of singing and maturity," said Antonette Lovejoy, who taught Chantel for a semester at Andersen Middle School in Millard. "And she's really humble. You'd always have to encourage her to try for a solo."

The 5-foot-2 singer began pursuing a musical career in 2001, when she won the Miss Nebraska Pre-Teen competition with her vocal abilities.

A short time later, a talent agency discovered her at Oak View Mall and invited her to Los Angeles. There, she came in fifth in a competition of about 150 children.

Todd Kohl and his wife, Brenda, began thinking that their daughter might have serious talent. But they wanted an expert opinion.

So last winter, Chantel dropped out of seventh grade at Andersen and was homeschooled. She and her brother, Kasey Kohl (a four-time wrestling champion at Omaha Skutt who now wrestles for the University of Nebraska at Omaha), traveled to Los Angeles, where she enrolled in music and acting classes.

The plan, her father said, was to let Chantel get an idea of whether she truly wanted to pursue a career in show biz. She did.

Her new voice coach was also convinced that Chantel had star potential and told the Kohls about "American Juniors." Chantel auditioned at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena and beat out hundreds of other singers.

While Chantel now spends most of her time in Los Angeles (the Kohls plan to move there soon), her friends in Omaha haven't forgotten her.

"I'm so proud of her," said her best friend, Amber Hausnann, an Andersen classmate. "I know she tried her hardest to get on there."

Todd Kohl's colleagues at (i)Structure also support Chantel. They have printed publicity fliers about her and brought in tapes of her "American Juniors" performances to work so that people can watch during their breaks.

Todd Kohl says that while Chantel wants to make it to the finals, she won't be heartbroken if she doesn't.

"She'll just move on to the next thing," he said. "I've told her that I don't care if she wins. There will always be something else for her."
    ------------

Total side note here, but I had NO idea she was related to none other than Kasey Kohl!! The wrestling world knows that name QUITE well! Hello, the kid has potential written all over her.
    Congratulations Tori and Taylor!

FORT Newbie

Kasey Kohl

Quote Originally Posted by Dani321
    Published Monday
    June 23, 2003

Omaha teenager resonates with star potential

BY KIM ROBERTS

WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER
    When she was younger, Chantel Kohl would lock herself in her room and sing for hours. Her parents worried that she would lose her voice but were too spellbound by her singing to make her stop.

"Whenever she started to sing, people would come out of their rooms and just listen," said Todd Kohl, Chantel's father. "You couldn't help yourself."

These days, Chantel, 13, is still logging hours of practice. But she is now performing in front of the millions who tune into Fox's "American Juniors."

Two weeks ago, Chantel was selected for the show, a spinoff of "American Idol" for children ages 6 to 13. The Omaha teen will compete Tuesday against nine semifinalists. Another group of 10 semifinalists was reduced to five last week.

How did a girl from Omaha make it to the bright lights of Los Angeles?

Chantel couldn't answer the question because Fox is not allowing its young contestants to grant interviews.

But her father, speaking by phone from (i)Structure Inc., where he is a security guard, said she has advanced because of her hard work, vivacious spirit and positive outlook.

She also has a terrific voice, says a former music teacher.

"She already has that power and energy and control that usually comes with years of singing and maturity," said Antonette Lovejoy, who taught Chantel for a semester at Andersen Middle School in Millard. "And she's really humble. You'd always have to encourage her to try for a solo."

The 5-foot-2 singer began pursuing a musical career in 2001, when she won the Miss Nebraska Pre-Teen competition with her vocal abilities.

A short time later, a talent agency discovered her at Oak View Mall and invited her to Los Angeles. There, she came in fifth in a competition of about 150 children.

Todd Kohl and his wife, Brenda, began thinking that their daughter might have serious talent. But they wanted an expert opinion.

So last winter, Chantel dropped out of seventh grade at Andersen and was homeschooled. She and her brother, Kasey Kohl (a four-time wrestling champion at Omaha Skutt who now wrestles for the University of Nebraska at Omaha), traveled to Los Angeles, where she enrolled in music and acting classes.

The plan, her father said, was to let Chantel get an idea of whether she truly wanted to pursue a career in show biz. She did.

Her new voice coach was also convinced that Chantel had star potential and told the Kohls about "American Juniors." Chantel auditioned at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena and beat out hundreds of other singers.

While Chantel now spends most of her time in Los Angeles (the Kohls plan to move there soon), her friends in Omaha haven't forgotten her.

"I'm so proud of her," said her best friend, Amber Hausnann, an Andersen classmate. "I know she tried her hardest to get on there."

Todd Kohl's colleagues at (i)Structure also support Chantel. They have printed publicity fliers about her and brought in tapes of her "American Juniors" performances to work so that people can watch during their breaks.

Todd Kohl says that while Chantel wants to make it to the finals, she won't be heartbroken if she doesn't.

"She'll just move on to the next thing," he said. "I've told her that I don't care if she wins. There will always be something else for her."
    ------------

Total side note here, but I had NO idea she was related to none other than Kasey Kohl!! The wrestling world knows that name QUITE well! Hello, the kid has potential written all over her.
    Hey Dani, where have u heard of Kasey Kohl, b/c i know him too>

well im still 13 and im going 2 be a freshman this upcomeing school year
    Rissa

American Juniors Should have made the age limit like 11-14 their would have been more talent
    Rissa

KellieGurl_2007
    Well, I'm gonna be a freshman and I'll turn 15 in September, and most of my friends will turn 15 during the school year. Here you have to be 14 by September 1st to be a freshman, so I'm guessing Lucy will be a freshman, and Chantel will be in 8th grade.

our school starts in august so if ur b-day is in jun,july,and august so i barely passed cuz mine is in august
    Rissa

Considering:
    Katelyn Tarver
    Kristinia DeBarge
    Kara Lieberman
    Lucy Hale
    Chantel Kohl
    are the 13 year olds, you figure some are going into high school. I talked to one of Kara's friends, and she's going into 8th grade.

Do u know kara ?
    Rissa

me? No, but I've talked to one of her friends. And unless she memorized everything about Camarillo, CA(I quizzed her off a website) and on her AIM profile she had a part where she talked about Kara, and everyone who signed it(her friends) didnt put anything in the guestbook. Unless she put on a really good show...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast