+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do We Expect Too Much From Certain People?

FORT Fanatic

Do We Expect Too Much From Certain People?

Again, that's why I feel that the concept used in American Idol just doesn't work right for kids.

Let me give an example. Chantel put on an awful performance, according to many (including myself), this week. However, it really wasn't any worse than Tori, Jordan, or AJ. But, since Tori & Jordan are young, they're not expected to be as talented. And, since AJ's a boy, they don't expect him to have the same vocal talent the girls do.

But, that's why this is not really fair. It should be, how they compare to the whole group. Obviously, Lucy's the best overall talent on the show. Yet, since she looks older, people don't treat her the same way as Tori - they expect Tori's voice to be a little weak; yet Lucy is supposed to have a killer voice by adult & late-teen pop standards. Just doesn't seem fair.

To me, it breaks down like this:

Lucy/Chantel/Katelyn/Danielle/Morgan - All have proven to have vocal talent, so America expects groundbreaking performances to vote for them (Chantel has a little more of an advantage since she gets on like every commercial).

Chauncey/Taylor (even though she's in) - Just has to keep their voices in tune, and they'll get votes and praise.

Tori/Jordan/AJ - Just have to go up their, move their mouths, and smile and somehow they put on amazing performances.

You don't know sin-gen! rockinyoursocks's Avatar
    I only listen to the performances cause I can't watch the show, and Jorden seems to definatly have the strongest voice on the show.
    Trenyce Rocks Mine, Can I Rock Yours?

FORT Fanatic
    "
    I only listen to the performances cause I can't watch the show, and Jorden seems to definatly have the strongest voice on the show.
    "

Not so sure about that. In any case, she doesn't really have to perform as well, in my opinion, to get the votes.

Quote Originally Posted by YeahYeah
    Again, that's why I feel that the concept used in American Idol just doesn't work right for kids.

Let me give an example. Chantel put on an awful performance, according to many (including myself), this week. However, it really wasn't any worse than Tori, Jordan, or AJ. But, since Tori & Jordan are young, they're not expected to be as talented. And, since AJ's a boy, they don't expect him to have the same vocal talent the girls do.

But, that's why this is not really fair. It should be, how they compare to the whole group. Obviously, Lucy's the best overall talent on the show. Yet, since she looks older, people don't treat her the same way as Tori - they expect Tori's voice to be a little weak; yet Lucy is supposed to have a killer voice by adult & late-teen pop standards. Just doesn't seem fair.

Lucy/Chantel/Katelyn/Danielle/Morgan - All have proven to have vocal talent, so America expects groundbreaking performances to vote for them (Chantel has a little more of an advantage since she gets on like every commercial).

Chauncey/Taylor (even though she's in) - Just has to keep their voices in tune, and they'll get votes and praise.

Tori/Jordan/AJ - Just have to go up their, move their mouths, and smile and somehow they put on amazing performances.

I do agree with what is being said mostly. I do think that people have their faves, in this case, the youngest, so they can't do wrong in most peoples' eyes. Everyone just expects the older contestants to perform perfectly every time. I think that the songs they are singing, especially because they are old songs, they've never heard a whole lot before AJ so they are trying to sing these new songs. It's hard to make a song "your own" when you've only learned it in the past couple days. Lucy, Danielle, and Morgan do seem to have the all around talent, Chantel sometimes as well. I think in Chantel's case, the first time we heard her was the auditions (obviously) and she did such an amazing job that it is going to be very very hard for her to top that performance. That is sort of a disadvantage to her.

Nerds Just Wanna Have Fun Boredom's Avatar

Wow, where do I entirely begin to disagree with you...

I think that all of them have to prove themselves to some point. Look at Canyon. He had tons of people that were fanatical about him, but he didn't get through to the top ten because there weren't that many casual voters that liked him. At one point or another, all of the top ten have had to prove themselves, or else they would end up like poor Canyon. I actually think that Chantel/Lucy/Katelyn have more security because they've put on amazing performances before, so people know that they've done well. However, in order for, say, Chauncey to get in he would have to have a spectacular performance because the week of 1969 was definetly not in the top 5 performances and most people didn't like his first performance at all. Taylor really worked hard to get into the band, and Tori worked really hard to get into the top ten. They both deserve to be where they are right now. That's all IMO, of course.
    Last edited by Boredom; 07-11-2003 at 10:12 AM.

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by boredouttamind

...However, in order for, say, Chauncey to get in he would have to have a spectacular performance because the week of 1969 was definetly not in the top 5 performances and most people didn't like his first performance at all...
    How quickly we forget. Chauncey got more votes than anyone else for his first performance.

FORT Fan
    I think Canyon's probem was that people assumed he was in and thus didn't throw any votes his way. They gave "his" votes to someone else, whom they thought had less of a chance to get in. Too many people did this, and he wasn't voted in. I don't think anything like this will happen in the finals though, because its voting in one, not five.

Nerds Just Wanna Have Fun Boredom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zippy
    How quickly we forget. Chauncey got more votes than anyone else for his first performance.
    Good point... Definetly can't argue with that. IMO, he was one of the best that night, but apparently not too many people on the board agree with me... However, I think that after he sang I'm in Love With You, Chauncey would have to regain alot of the votes that put him in first for his night because that performance was not anywhere near his best or the night's best.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast