+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Smoking Gun: AI2 Fans Complain to FCC

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by tomboy66
    All I can say is: don't cry over spilled milk. I sincerely hope that no one is writing letters any longer. As nearly everyone before me stated, most of those were written in the heat of the moment after they just got disappointed. Even if the show was rigged, there's nothing any letter can do about it now. And if you tell me that you wrote to help prevent it happening in Idol 3, I scoff at you. Watch me. *Scoffs*. Because you can't "prevent" anything from happening in the show's third season. Even if the producers agree not to show favoritism or rig the voting lines next time, you get sucked into the show. Everyone's bound to have a favorite. This year, as it was universally agreed by most "Clayzies", it was Ruben. Next season, there will most likely be aother contestant like him whom the folks behind the scenes (and judges!) favor.
    Like Rabidfanofclay, I didn't bother to complain to any agency either,
    but whenever I heard anything about someone wanting to write to the FCC, I would argue that they would not say anything about Ruben or Clay (because it had nothing to do with either of them) and just ask what could be done about the clogging phone situation. If you are going to put a show on television and ask the audience to participate after getting them "sucked into the show" like Tomboy66 says, then either make it as legit as you can or fix the problems/coordinate with an agency for help, but don't carry on like it was a FAIR competition.

This is appearantly what AI is guilty of and I would think (if not initially) this is what everyone is upset about. Thank goodness it is evident by now, Ruben and Clay are both doing their fans proud despite any aforementioned favoritism or rigging of the show. But it is also evident that AI2 went from "working out OK" with the phone lines in the beginning of the show (I read/heard continually that all fans were able to vote multiple times with little difficulty if any including Clay's and Ruben's at the time) to a disaster at least for the last couple of shows when the lines became constantly jammed. You can't blame the fans for getting upset when they no longer have any idea if anyone on the show actually has a fair chance of winning despite their fans' efforts. Even the results on the Final 3 couldn't fairly reveal to us if Kim, Ruben or Clay had any advantage over the other, which is very unfair to whoever gets let go, unfortunately.

Whether or not the producers or judges had any influence on the outcome this year despite any favoritism, they probably are not at fault for what happened to the phone lines. The first AI didn't have the same problems as AI2 only because the show became much more popular and drew bigger numbers of viewers, obviously. But I think they would be ignorant if they didn't resolve all issues with the show, including the audience's participation in the competition by making necessary changes to the voting system. Hopefully, they already have - I'm sure the franchise will want to continue in its success. If these letters/concerns from viewers have actually done any good whatsoever, it will be in making the producers of the show realize they won't be able to keep up this facade for next time.
    Last edited by ldmarie; 07-11-2003 at 04:06 PM.

Hug me!
    ldmarie

These people thought that Clay's fans are the only one who had trouble calling in for their favorites. The fact is that the fundamental of allowing multiple calls placed by one phone line is absolately flaw.

For example, we could have only 10 Clay's fans called in to vote for Clay non-stop for 3 hours versa 100 Ruben's fans called in one or twice to vote for him... but we will never know that.

FORT Fan
    You are exactly right, ruben_of_205. I think American Idol should take note of other shows on how they allow the audience to vote fairly (like Fame, which I stopped watching because they took away "my" Ho, too (hehe)) One vote for each phone is sufficient. Households with many members nowadays have additional lines or cell phones anyway. Whatever they decide to do, I don't care but it better work, if they seriously think people will keep as much interest in the show as they did this year.

I don't know, I still get e-mails from people who most obviously haven't "gotten over it" yet.

Why they think I care, I dunno.

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John
    I don't know, I still get e-mails from people who most obviously haven't "gotten over it" yet.

John, what do these people expect you to do about it? You're not the one they should be bothering with this stuff.

Hug me!
    Quote Originally Posted by John

PS. Idmarie, I can't believe you still remember my "Ho" comment.

well i know that people are still whining about the outcome, its out there, but definitely not as many as were upset at the begining...and i agree idmarie, of course people were going to be upset, the main reason i was upset is i knew if i could have got through i could have voted, so it was like even though i wanted my voice and opinion to be heard, it wasnt, those 50 votes or whatever that didnt get through....well it was dissapointing, but of course im not going to go pm john or anyone else..lol, cause it just as well could have been the same way if clay won, noone would know if it would have made a difference if rubens fans could have got through....you know what shows the opinion of america??? we have two idols, two superstars...and we put them there Ruben's the winner, and ill forever be ok with that
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123