+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Smoking Gun: AI2 Fans Complain to FCC

eny
    FORT Fogey
    - Sorry but this just dredged up how funky this stuff was at the time.

to everything above.
    The letters were released not by the FCC, but by The Smoking Gun website. I get the impression that the entire article is simply an attention-getter. I'm sure there were intelligent writers expressing legitimate concerns, but they chose to show the more inflammatory material, probably written in the heat of (for many) a very emotional moment. All of that is water long under the bridge now.

Well, *pttbbbth* to them!

In all of this, you have to remember that all of those letters were written in the heat of the moment, the day after (or a few days after) the AI finale. I'll admit that I too was highly disappointed with the outcome of the show at the time, and I too believed it was rigged from the start. I never went to the trouble of writing letters to the FCC or anyone else, but I did complain to anyone who would listen (family and friend-wise) about the outcome.

Now that time has passed, so have the feelings of anger and disappointment. So what? They both got contracts. Clay is on his way to superstardom, with or without AI. I'm sure the authors of those letters have probably calmed down as well, and many of them may be upset that their letters have been dredged up for the whole world to see by the infamous Smoking Gun.... I know I would've been, had I written one of those.
    In dreams and in love there are no impossibilities.

All I can say is: don't cry over spilled milk. I sincerely hope that no one is writing letters any longer. As nearly everyone before me stated, most of those were written in the heat of the moment after they just got disappointed. Even if the show was rigged, there's nothing any letter can do about it now. And if you tell me that you wrote to help prevent it happening in Idol 3, I scoff at you. Watch me. *Scoffs*. Because you can't "prevent" anything from happening in the show's third season. Even if the producers agree not to show favoritism or rig the voting lines next time, you get sucked into the show. Everyone's bound to have a favorite. This year, as it was universally agreed by most "Clayzies", it was Ruben. Next season, there will most likely be aother contestant like him whom the folks behind the scenes (and judges!) favor.
    Some say the world will end in fire;
    Some say in ice.
    From what I've tasted of desire
    I hold with those who favor fire.
    But if it had to perish twice,
    I think I know enough of hate
    To know that for destruction ice
    Is also great
    And would suffice.
    -Robert Frost, Fire and Ice

FORT Newbie
    I tried to vote for Clay on the "big" night - 3 hours straight (two phones) and did not get through but I also told my two children - that's what happens sometimes and for them to look at how CLAY was handling everything.

Sure I was disappointed that I didn't get to "help" Clay but obviously he doesn't need any help anyway except for support in record sales etc.

I won't take anything away from Ruben as he does indeed have a lot of talent (he actually is my son's favorite) and he will go far also.

Guess the moral of the story is you don't have to win - it's what you do with yourself and your attitude after.

These guys are friends and they want the best for eachother - it wouldn't hurt for us to wish the same
    (and for Kim Locke by the way, I think she will have a future also).

Hi OhioClayFan-

That would be *me* that started the thread ... and I posted it only because it is "news" that is relevant to the American Idol discussion.

Love or hate The Smoking Gun, they have credibility as a news source. Their feature articles gain a lot of attention, and it is noteworty that they have this as their featured article today.

I posted this without making any comment on the content. Much as I would a Smoking Gun article about Trista and Ryan or any other Reality TV show or contestant.

Quote Originally Posted by OhioClayFan
    Starting this thread and calling attention to the nasty, negative things that were written about Ruben winning the American Idol title serves no purpose other than to stir up bad feelings and cause controversy that is really unnecessary. Unfortunately it was probably started by a "Clay fan" and that's really a darn shame. Clay certainly wouldn't want a fan of his to be dissing his friend. Clay isn't going around acting like a loser...his fans shouldn't either.

I wish Clay and Ruben nothing but the best, they're two incredibly talented individuals. The music world is big enough for both of them to make their mark and not have to leave marks on each other to do it.

I hope the next time someone runs across this kind of trash, they leave it where it belongs.

Anyone who can't accept that Ruben won the AI2 title has a definite problem, this is old news. Both men are doing very well now, it didn't really matter who got the title, they're both winners.

I have to admit that I was disappointed that Clay didn't win but I'm beyond that now. He's doing very well now (I'm sure he'll continue to do so), that's the main thing, that he's being given opportunities (singles, albums, appearances, RS covers........NOTHING CAN BEAT THIS) for his career to flourish.

Bottom line:

Would Clay want the title now? NO WAY!! It'd just create controversy, animosity, he'd NEVER want that. He and Ruben are good, close friends.

Go Ruben and Clay!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bumpkin
    That would be *me* that started the thread ... and I posted it only because it is "news" that is relevant to the American Idol discussion.

Love or hate The Smoking Gun, they have credibility as a news source. Their feature articles gain a lot of attention, and it is noteworty that they have this as their featured article today.

I posted this without making any comment on the content. Much as I would a Smoking Gun article about Trista and Ryan or any other Reality TV show or contestant.
    Exactly.

I think it is interesting to note the lengths some people went to to make their feelings known.
    It appears to have been a waste of time as the FCC don't look like they'll get involved, reading pepper's post earlier in the thread.

The voting situation is a real mess, I'm sure we all agree on that.
    Had the fans mounted a concerted campaign and contacted the right people (perhaps Fox or Freemantle) and done so without feeling the need to say the kinds of things they did about Ruben, they might have succeeded in getting their message across.
    "That's Numberwang!"

bumpkin, i think it needed to be posted cause it is controversy, just like there was a thread from smoking gun when corey was kicked out etc... i have no hard feelings at all about you posting it..and you know what i noticed??? in this thread everyone agrees this is the only thread ive been in where everyone agrees that the letters, and the complaining are stupid now..and its over... i think ruben fans are handling it well that those letters were even sent, and i think that clay fans are handling it well that clay didnt win...bravo guys
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Niphredil
    to everything above.
    The letters were released not by the FCC, but by The Smoking Gun website. I get the impression that the entire article is simply an attention-getter. I'm sure there were intelligent writers expressing legitimate concerns, but they chose to show the more inflammatory material, probably written in the heat of (for many) a very emotional moment. All of that is water long under the bridge now.

Well, *pttbbbth* to them!
    I couldn't agree with you more. Many people were very upset when Ruben was announced as the AI winner, but I think their fellings have changed seeing how well Clay is doing for himself. This really is an attention getter for the Smoking Gun.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast