+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who Chooses The Songs?

FORT Fanatic

Who Chooses The Songs?

I was always under the impression that the kids were given a large list of billboard hits from the year they're performing; and then would work with their parents to choose the best song.

This is what makes sense as the judges have criticized people for song choice. How can you criticize someone for picking a song they didn't pick?

However, people are starting to say "the producers chose bad songs for the kids". What's up with that?

I'm not sure the judges are really criticizing the kids for the song choice, it's more like they are ackowledging that the choice wasn't a good one. As for who picks the song, here's a link to a story wherein Jordan McCoy's voice instructor says it's the producers who do it. I still would think that the parents had better have veto power if they don't like the lyrics, though.

http://www.zwire.com/news/newsstory....CATEGORYID=410

i know for the semi-finals, the kids and their parents had tp oick five songs from a list that they were willing to do, and the the producers picked one from those five.
    I could be slightly wrong here, but i'm pretty sure...
    ~*~~*~Julie is still my American Junior!

FORT Fanatic
    If it was producers, that's ridiculous. That would mean that Chantel could sue FOX for a) giving her a bad song to make her not get voted & b) for the defamation on song choice.

FORT Fanatic
    I highly, highly doubt the producers do it. It didn't work like that on American Idol, nor any other children's singing show.
    Congratulations Tori and Taylor!

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Dani321
    I highly, highly doubt the producers do it. It didn't work like that on American Idol, nor any other children's singing show.
    At first I though that as well, but after Tuesday night's show... Why would Deborah say things to like Morgan and Chatel like "I could tell you didn't like the song, but, etc etc..." Why would kids pick songs they hated singing in the first place?? Who knows...

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by GroveingIt
    At first I though that as well, but after Tuesday night's show... Why would Deborah say things to like Morgan and Chatel like "I could tell you didn't like the song, but, etc etc..." Why would kids pick songs they hated singing in the first place?? Who knows...

Could be because, he had to pick the song he liked the best from that year, and he doesn't like the song.

FORT Fanatic
    I agree with slayereve. What does Morgan know about 1970's songs anyways? I'm sure he didn't like any of the songs--I know I didn't.

Perhaps fox gives them advice on what to sing, but I don't believe they pick their songs for them. Case in point: AJ sang two Stevie songs back to back. Tori sang her favorite song in her audition and then again in the semi's. I highly doubt Fox would do both of those on purpose. Tori and Taylor both did Clearwater Revial songs. Would Fox really do that, and their mother allow it? I highly doubt it. But would two sisters want to sing a song by the same artist, to try to out-do one another, or, as Ryan said, to 'keep it in the family'--absolutely. I do believe Chantel picked that song, she didn't look like she hated it to me, until the judges began to critique. and as to why Jordan's instructor would say that? So when Jordan has a bad night, they'll blame it on Fox. Either that, or she's very misinformed, which I believe too.

Until a contestant and their parents come out and say Fox picks their songs, I refuse to blame fox for their "bad nights"--which is what people want.
    Congratulations Tori and Taylor!

Quote Originally Posted by YeahYeah
    If it was producers, that's ridiculous. That would mean that Chantel could sue FOX for a) giving her a bad song to make her not get voted & b) for the defamation on song choice.
    That's why they have everybody sign contracts saying they agree to look bad on tv - so they won't sue.

I think they are given a list of songs that they are allowed to sing for that performance and they have to choose one from there. But I definitely think the musical director, producers and parents have a say. The kids probably have the "least" say about it unfortunately :mad:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast