+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Debbie, Gladys... did ya have to call us chicks? American Juniors 7/8 recap

Debbie, Gladys... did ya have to call us chicks? American Juniors 7/8 recap

I honestly don’t know what I was thinking when I volunteered to recap American Juniors for July 9th. I’ve never seen a single episode, and I haven’t been in the American Juniors Forum, other than to reed about the misbehaving parents from the tryout days.

Usually I recap The Amazing Race. The participants are all adults and I have no problem making fun of them. It’s what I enjoy doing.

This was very difficult for me to recap as I refuse to make fun off or be mean to anyone under the age of 18. Although a couple of the girls look like they could be close, I am assuming they were young too.

If you just want to know what I think of Ryan, what each contestant sang, and what the panelists, Deborah Gibson, Brian McKnight and Gladys Knight had to say, then you’ve come to the right place.

The show opens with Ryan, wearing what looks to be pants he borrowed from a worker in the Sears Automotive Department, in a “they’ll always look clean” institutional gray. He is also wearing a red T-Shirt with the words “I Vacation To Tan”… something like that. I’m not sure I care Ryan, I just wish you were “tanning” now.

We meet Taylor briefly, and then the rest of the hopefuls are introduced. The walk out like little professionals and I wonder if this is really good for them, then I realize that it is none of my business. I’m here for an hour that’s all.

We learn (or perhaps I learn and everyone else already knew) that the songs the kids will sing tonight are from 1970. We get a brief history lesson in which Ryan (think back to all the interesting clothing the boy has worn) takes time to make fun of the styles of the day… bell bottoms (I saw some recently), Platform shoes (they were all over the place this year) Colorful polyester pants (I am pretty sure Ryan has a few pairs of them) and Afro’s (yes, seen them lately too… even on white folks)

Tori Thompson

Tori is up first singing Love The One You’re With. She sounds really good to me, and I realize that if I had to watch, I am glad that I’m watching now when presumably only talented kids will be left to hear. She’s really a cute little girl and I have a feeling she’ll make the group. Debbie says: She has great energy and confidence. That she sounded a tad sharp a couple times, but never looks nervous. Brian says: There must be something in the water because both Tori and her sister….WOW. She’s incredible and solid. Gladys says: She commands the audience, she’s a natural. Great voice, Wonderful.

Danielle White

The second performer of the evening is Daniell singing Close To You. She sounds good but the song brings back memories of my high school chorus teacher making me sing soprano on this song when I’m a natural alto. It was awful and I cringe when I think of the song. Luckily Daniell has a good voice for the song. She’s a beautiful young lady and has gorgeous eyes. I think she’ll make the band. Debbie says: Like Karen Carpenter (the original singer of the song) Daniell has a clear beautiful voice. Debbie loves her. Brian says: Amazing. Perfect voice. Incredible. Gladys says: loves to hear her sing her voice caresses the spirit.

Morgan Burke

Singing Love Grows Where My Rosemary Goes must have been hard for young Morgan. He did a great job with a song I feel confidant in saying he had never heard of let alone heard, a week ago. He has a nice voice and I think he’ll make the band. Debbie says: He has a solid voice and is very consistant. He is 12 going on 42. Brian says: He likes how Morgan acted like it was his favorite song ever and lit up while singing it. Gladys says: “isn’t he the trunk baby”…(I will assume that readers of this recap know what the heck she is talking about, as I certainly don’t)… He acts like he’s been around show business a long time and he’s really good.

Chauncy Mathews

Chauncy comes out singing Hey There Lonely Girl and I have a hard time believing the voice I hear is coming from someone who looks very young to me. He is yet another good singer and the audience seems very responsive to him. I think he’ll make the band. Debbie says: Loved it, he seems to have taken advice from last week and owned it. Perfect song. at this point in my notes I wrote “Ryan is stupid”, but since I took notes at 1am I can’t remember now why I wrote that, but I’m sure Ryan said or did something stupid Brian says: Chauncy brought it and made it his song. Gladys says: He’s the mpost improved of them all. Great voice and seemed relaxed. Loves to hear him sing. Wonderful.

Chantel Kohl

Singing a Barbra Streisand song can’t be easy. Stony Ann (I think) was apparently on the charts for 12 weeks in 1970. I’ve never heard it and would wager that a week ago Chantel hadn’t either. She’s a gorgeous girl with a nice voice and I think she’ll make the band. Debbie says: She’s not a fan of the song but that Chantel did the best she could with it. She’s heard her sing better and knows she has a more powerful voice. Brian says: They were incredible vocals, great look, wonderful. Gladys says: Definitely sees her in the group, but hopes audience doesn’t judge her from just tonight, as she (Gladys) has heard her sing better.

Jordan McCoy

Hmmm, she chose to sing ABC, which sounds like it would be a simple song… heck when you hear it you think it is simple, but there are a lot of lyrics to learn here. I wasn’t thrilled with the performance, but thought her voice sounded good, especially when she was singing the “oooooohhhhhhhhh” part. The audience seemed to really like her and I think she’ll make the band. Debbie says: She’s impressed that Jordan learned the song. She has improved a lot. Brian says: memorizing that song is hard. Jordan did great and it is obvious that she’s a star. Gladys says: She has energy galore, the voice might get lost in a group, but she’s very good.

Katelyn Tarver

We’ve Only Just Begun was Katelyn’s song choice and she did a good job with it. I hope she is the oldest, as she certainly looks it. I wouldn’t want to hear that this beauty is only 11 or something. To me this is a boring song, so the fact that I didn’t fall asleep says something. I think she’ll make the band. Debbie says: She’s done better in the past. Seems to have had trouble switching between “belting it out” and the high parts. Brian says: She could be a model an actor or a singer. The song had 3 key changes making it a very hard song but she sang it well. Gladys says: The clarity in her voice is good for a group.

A J Melendez

AJ comes out and the girls go crazy. We get a shot of dad grinning from ear to ear. I find it creepy and wonder how the facial expression might change if AJ were a girl and the guys were all over her. I have a feeling Dad wouldn’t be smiling so big in that case. AJ sings Where There Is Love, I’ll Be There. He is a cutie and does a good job with the song. He’s got great eyes, and I think he will make the band. Debbie says: He worked the Audience, He worked the chicks, he worked the shirt that Ryan will want back after the show. Well done. Brian says: He’s got style and the girls love him. Not that he needs help but “you can get chicks with this job” Gladys says: The group needs a chick magnet and he’d be it.

Lucy Hale

Along with Katelyn, Lucy almost looks to old to be in the band that this show seems to be creating. I think it’s sad that I think of her as too old, when she’s obviously young enough to be on the show. I just think she’d look odd standing next to Taylor. Lucy sings Make It Easy On Yourself . She is truly another beautiful girl and does a great job with what I consider to be another boring song. I think she’ll make the band. Debbie says: She’s a phenomenal singer who has poise, control and depth in her voice. Amazing. Brian says: Dynamic. Amazing. Then either Aspiring or inspiring, I’m not quite sure.Gladys says: When she opened her mouth she “sent” it out. Groups need someone to belt it out and that’s Lucy.

Ryan is back to recap all singers, give out the voting numbers again, and remind us all that only 4 of the remaining 9 faces will make it. I tend to hope their voices and body’s make it too, but maybe that’s just me.

We have to wait 8 days to find out who gets the second spot in the band. Be sure to tune in on Wednesday the 16 for the results.
    Last edited by cali; 07-09-2003 at 09:36 AM.
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

Good recap, though I'm not sure how EVERYONE could make the band.

Yeah, I'm not understanding why you think all 9 of them will make the band, but all right. Good recap!!
    to Taylor, Chantel, Katelyn, Danielle, and Tori. Good luck on making the group!

It was just a joke. I've never watched before and I didn't want to hurt any of the contestants feelings

There a couple I see not making it, but hell, I bet I got the 4 right
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

cali! I thought all should make the band too when I recapped it. And I totally agree that it's hard to poke fun at these adorable kids.

Great funny, witty recap!
    Who shot who in the what now?

cho
    FORT Regular
    I think they all could make it! I'm happy I can't vote for this show because I would have no idea where to start they're all so good.

FORT Fogey
    [QUOTE=cali] AJ comes out and the girls go crazy. We get a shot of dad grinning from ear to ear. I find it creepy and wonder how the facial expression might change if AJ were a girl and the guys were all over her. I have a feeling Dad wouldn’t be smiling so big in that case.

Good recap!

-Rach

Cali, nice Recap, here's what I thought:

Tori Thompson- She did really well. At least better than last week. She had a lot of energy and had fun with the song. She also seemed to cut down on the over-emphasising all the words. There's a chance she'll make the top three this week, but I'm not sure.

Danielle White- She did about the same as last week. Week after week I am starting to get bored with her voice, even though she is one of my favorites. She needs to spice it up with maybe a faster song, or just try something new. I think she won't make the top three this week only because she doesn't have a big enough fan base-yet.

Morgan Burke- That song annoys the crap out of me!!! I know they didn't have much to choose from, since they only get one stinkin year, but I hate that song. I think he was good on it though, but he is still too hyper and excited. I don't think he will make the top three this week.

Chauncey Matthews- hmmmmm, I always hated his voice, but I feel he did much better this week. He is very improved, but I can't get over the fact that his voice has the weirdest sound in it!! It annoys me more than the stupid song Morgan sang. JMO I think he might make the top three, but he won't make the band.

Chantel Kohl- I was a little disappointed in Chantel this week. She did awesome last week, and I love her voice, but the song choice was not great. It was a Barbara Streisand song!!!! Plus, you could barely hear her. But she still sang well and hit the note at the end, so I'm still a fan. She could make the top three because of the fact she did last week.

Jordan McCoy- Jordan, Jordan, Jordan, hmmm i dunno. She really gets the crowd going, and is a good performer, but sometimes she is a little too hyper and dancing. Her voice is definitely not one of the best, but it will get much better when she grows up. People also shouldn't judge because of the fact she isn't as good as the people in the top ten, she was still better than the people in the top twenty. I don't think she will make the top three this week, but there could be surprises.

Katelyn Tarver- She has a very nice, clean voice, similar to Danielle's. I think she is extremely gorgeous and could really help the group in that aspect, but either her or Danielle will make it. If they both make it, they are going to have to have some strong voices to balance it out. I think she did very well this week, and there is a possibility she will make the top three, but I don't think she will this week. (P.S. Since I'm only 13, I guess I can call her HOT!)

AJ Melendez- I really want to see this boy make it into the group. When he and Chantel sang together in the group song, it sounded amazing!! In that aspect, he should definitely make it. He can be a good lady's man and could also blend well with the other voices. I'm not sure about him, because he should make it into the group, but I don't know when he will get the chance.

Lucy Hale- She did awesome!! I think she has the most powerful voice in the whole compitition, but I'm not sure if her voice could go with the others. Also, I think she sometimes sounds weird, like her voice is cracking, but it obviously isn't. I think she should definitely make the top three, and make it into the group this week, but I'm not sure if she has the fans.

Order of performances:
    1. Lucy Hale
    2. Danielle White
    3. Tori Thompson
    4. Chantel Kohl
    5. Katelyn Tarver
    6. Morgan Burke
    7. AJ Melendez
    8. Chauncey Matthews- I'm sorry, but I hate his voice
    9. Jordan McCoy

Lucy Hale
    Danielle White
    Tori Thompson

Chantel Kohl
    Katelyn Tarver
    Morgan Burke
    AJ Melendez

Chauncey Matthews
    Jordan McCoy

Top Three:
    Tori Thompson
    Danielle White
    Chauncey Matthews- I'm taking a risk on saying that.

Top Three I want it to be:
    Lucy Hale
    Chantel Kohl
    Tori Thompson

Final Band:
    Taylor Thompson-DUH
    Chantel Kohl
    AJ Melendez
    Danielle White
    Tori Thompson

Final Band I want it to be:
    same, except taylor would be switched with LUCY!!!

Eat Mor Chikin

FORT Fogey
    Final 9- Songs of 1970

Ryan's "I vacation to get tan" shirt was very disturbing, IMO.

Thoughts of the judges: Debbie seemed to be the only helpful judge. Bryan McKnight was just babbling on about stage prescence, etc. Gladys was nicer than usual, and wasn't being very helpful at all last night. She was just referring them to their position in the group.

Now.... The Individual Performances:

JMO: 01-Tori Thompson-"Love The One Your With"- As far as her looks, her hair looked much better tonight than usual. Also, she didn't over-do the clothing, attitude, etc. (FOR ONCE!). As far as her vocals, they were very weak on this song, and I agree with Debbie, there were a few sharp notes here and there. Definitely wasn't her best, and wasn't Top 3 material at all.

JMO: 02-Danielle White-"(They Long To Be) Close To You"- The Carpenters did a good job with this song, and so did Danielle. I thought it was a good choice for her, and she was exactly on pitch, again! I also like the slower-tempo songs on her, but then again, we haven't heard her to an up-beat one yet. She was natural, pure, and herself, which is what I really like about her as a performer.

JMO: 03-Morgan Burke-"Love Grows Where My Rosemary Goes"- God, my mom was singing the song the whole time, so I only heard part of Morgan's vocals, but they did sound good. I could tell he wasn't necessarily happy with the song, but he did it well. Also, I noticed he got a haircut. It sorta made his head look skinner. I used to dislike him a lot, but I'm growing to enjoy him more each week.

JMO: 04-Chauncy Matthews-"Hey There Lonely Girl"- Man, Chauncy likes singing those "seducing women" songs. I thought it was better than last week, but not anything great, but very good. He's such a cutie, and he took the advice the judges gave him, worked on it, and came back with a good performance.

JMO: 05-Chantel Kohl-"Stony End"- Horrible song choice, horrible clothing choice, horrible dancing, okay vocals. She sounded a bit nasally and lacked the energy needed for the song. I think with a different song, she would've done better.

JMO: 06-Jordan McCoy-"ABC"- Why, out of all of the great, enspiring, eneregetic songs from the 70's, did she pick "ABC"??? :rolleyes I think she certainly needs work on her voice, it's very frial and weak. She looked like a Britney-wannabe with her "outfit", if you want to call her that. Her dancing wasn't too great, either. Also, if she wants to be a singer, she needs to get her teeth fixed, they take away the view of her pretty eyes and bubbly personality. So, I guess it was a lack-luster performance, and she needs work on her voice.

JMO: 07-Katelyn Tarver-"We've Only Just Begun"- I was on the phone during her and AJ's performance, but managed to listen to a good amount of it. First off, she looked completely beautiful again, and she has such good stage prescence and personality. She's got the inner and outer beauty, if you will. I thought it was a nice, solid performance. Possibly, with a better song, she could've blown the roof down.

JMO: 08-AJ Melendez-"I'll Be There"- Great song, not necessarily on him, though. He started off shaky, but it got better towards the middle of the performance. It was better than last week's IMO, but that's not saying much. On a funnier note, I would like to know, "Who shot the couch, buddy"? His shirt was herrendous.

JMO: 09-Lucy Hale-"Make It Easy On Yourself"- Her dress was okay, but I don't like her "poser attitude", "poser voice", and poser everything. She's not original, and that's what they're looking for these days. Better than last week, good, nothing spectacular, but good.

Ranking:
    1. Danielle White
    2. Morgan Burke
    3. Katelyn Tarver
    4. Chauncy Matthews
    5. AJ Melendez
    6. Lucy Hale
    7. Chantel Kohl
    8. Jordan McCoy
    9. Tori Thompson

What the Top 3 SHOULD Be:
    1. Danielle
    2. Morgan
    3. Katelyn
    With Danielle moving on.

What the Top 3 WILL Be:
    1. Chantel
    2. Lucy
    3. Danielle
    With Chantel, or possibly Lucy, but most likely Chantel moving on.

Performances:

1. Danielle
    2. Morgan
    3. Katelyn
    4. Aj
    5. Chauncy

(okay, so-so)
    1. Lucy

1. Chantel
    2. Jordan
    3. Tori

Barf-worthy performance: : Tori Thompson

King of the Night: : Chauncy. He improved so much, and showed everyone up.

Queen of the Night: : Danielle. She was the best girl, with Katelyn not far behind.

-Rach

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by cali
    Debbie says: Loved it, he seems to have taken advice from last week and owned it. Perfect song. at this point in my notes I wrote “Ryan is stupid”, but since I took notes at 1am I can’t remember now why I wrote that, but I’m sure Ryan said or did something stupid
    That was when Ryan said it probably brought back memories to Chauncey's grandmother that she couldn't discuss on tv. Definitely another stupid Ryan statement.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast