+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: AI Tour Recap, play by play w/songs

Shazzer,

Thanks for the great recaps of the concert, I felt like I was there.

This recap really makes me wish I'd have gotten my hands on some tickets...I'm in LA, but am from Detroit...The Detroit show is at the end of July when I'm working at an awards show in Las Vegas...and i'll be visiting home (Deroit-area) first week of August...AAARGH!

I really loved the AI kids, all of them-- and really would be tickled to be able to see Clay sing, especially... ah, well... one day!

Wow thanks for the awesome recap. I'm really wondering what kind of crowd was there. Was it all teenagers??? I have tickets up front but feel really weird going to a concert alone - it's been many moons since I've been to a concert like this. Are there people in their 30's there???
    Spay and Neuter your Pets!
    www.chemkim.com

30s? Anyone there over 40? 50?
    I know Clay has fans of all generations, and reportedly Ruben does, too, so I wonder if the boomers, etc, would go to the concert.

The song Ruben and Kim sang is probably the Luther Vandross/Janet Jackson version of "The Best Things In Life Are Free".
    Still haven't figured out whether it's the song that originally came out in the 50s. Haven't heard the Luther/Janet song. Many songs from that era and before -- even back to the 1920s -- have been successfully reintroduced to pop audiences in the 70s through the present.
    Ruben sang "Smile" -- a Charlie Chaplin song from the 40s (late 30s?) -- on AI, and Mack The Knife goes back to the 20s (at least in the original German), and AI1 had a "big band night."

The tune to the 1950s "Best Things In Life Are Free" could easily be arranged for the current era, but some of the lyrics don't really "work" for 2003, IMO:
    "...The flowers that spring,
    the birdies that sing,
    The (something with 2 syllables) that shine,
    They're yours, they're mine..."

Maybe someone who went to the concert remembers the 1950s song.
    Last edited by Grisabella; 07-09-2003 at 06:05 PM.
    Dogs have owners. Cats have staff. ;-D

Carrie Underwood AI4! TrumpetBoy2005's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drkim
    Wow thanks for the awesome recap. I'm really wondering what kind of crowd was there. Was it all teenagers??? I have tickets up front but feel really weird going to a concert alone - it's been many moons since I've been to a concert like this. Are there people in their 30's there???
    I was surprised at the wide range of ages. There were of course, many teen girls from about 12-16.

Some of the adults in their late 30s and 40s were parents. Behind me, there was some ladies that looked to be in their 50s-60s. In front of me, there were three people (two guys and a girl) and they were about 30. They talked to me and my friends (we're 16), and said they felt odd, and they told other people that they were "with their kids." There were plenty of other people their ages. I guess the American Idol Finalists bring all ages together! But when a 31 year old guy that works in a salon / massage place runs up and starts waving at Clay, I found that a little odd...LOL

Shazzer! Great Recap!! I do hope he said "Hurricanes" and not "Hornets" though, since the Hurricanes are the Carolina hockey team.

Anyone know if Ruben's and Clay's single CD is being sold at the concert? How about the group's singles of "What The World Needs Now" and "God Bless The USA"?
    Dogs have owners. Cats have staff. ;-D

"The best things in life are free": I think it was the luther/janet version, not the 50's version. I don't think I heard any lyrics in there about the birds etc.

Hockeydonna: Even though I'm from a hockey state, I know shamefully little about the national league *hangs head in shame*, so I know Clay mentioned whatever team N.C. has, but I thought I heard "Ravens", but then again I also didn't know Ruben's song title and called it "Pretty toes" , but hey, at least those lyrics were in the song.

Grisabella: I didn't see any cds for sale. The booth where items were sold held t-shirts, head shots and posters etc., but no cds (that I saw, it was pretty crowded).

Age of the crowd: Yep, there were people there of every age, and I'm 32 with no kids in tow (I don't have children), so there were plenty of us 30-somethings there, along with a lot of 40-somethings, 50-somethings, etc. And there were a lot of teens there, but there were also a lot of couples, i.e. teen couples, adult couples, etc.

Trumpetboy2005: Hey! Where were your seats? In the row right behind me there were two 30-something women with one guy who was in love with Clay! (Of course, everyone around me was in love with Clay, oh heck, the auditorium was in love with Clay). They were from Rochester! I was in row 16 on the floor, left section. Were you two rows behind me?
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

When is the LA concert (as I have to miss the Detroit one)?

FORT Fogey
    Got this off of the Josh Gracin site:

[Wednesday - July 9th, 2003]
    Wow, you'd swear Josh Gracin was never on American Idol. You'd swear he didn't make it all the way to the top four of the show. Josh Gracin? Josh who? *sigh* I'm extremely frustrated, and I feel really bad for Josh. There was absolutely no mention of him at the show last night that kicked off the American Idol tour. No merchandise. No mention of him in the tour program. They even edited him out of the American Idol clips that they played during the show. I am utterly disgusted.

Some people are now going around (again) acting as if I was lying. They want to believe it was American Idol who made the decision to keep Josh from touring, and not the Marine Corps. You know what? Believe what you want. It doesn't change the fact that Josh is not on tour. From what I've heard about the show, it is kinda cheesy anyway. Who knows? Who cares? I won't be there. For those of you going and showing your Josh pride...good for you. I'm glad you have the patience to attend a show where there's absolutely nothing worth seeing. I'm glad you have the patience to sit and listen to Rickey take Josh's part in God Bless the USA (at least it was one of his friends from the show...).

All I can say is, at least we know that it won't be long until Josh is going on his own tour, selling his own merchandise, and singing his own songs from his debut album! I really cannot wait for that...

Josh fans, keep your heads up. Right now, we all deserve to rant about this, but when you're done, try to think positively.

-----------

Discusts me, and I'd like to know if this is true. Thanks!

-Rach

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast