+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Debate Over Using Modern Songs

FORT Fanatic

Debate Over Using Modern Songs

I was wondering what people thought of the theme for the last week being 2003.

To me, it has its ups and downs. Its positives are that the kids know the songs, and therefore are familiar and might've already used the song in an audition or just sang the song to themselves at one point.

The definite downside is that it might be hard to prevent kids from (intentionally or not) "borrowing" the voices and dance steps of their favorite stars. Since they're so familiar with modern songs, they've probably seen the videos 50+ times and heard the audio hundreds more, and the "right" way to do the song is probably stuck in their brain. Thus, it could weaken the contest.

What do you think?

FORT Regular
    I think they should dump the "year" themes altogether and come up with some age-appropriate themes and song choices.

FORT Fanatic
    I really don't see what's not "age appropriate" about anything. You HAVE to test a singer's versatility.

I "STILL" love A.J.!
    i think they should either do decade's like 70's or 80's (instead of 1 specific year), or just let them sing whatever song they want as long as they don't sing it twice or something like that.

FORT Regular
    I mean age-appropriate lyrics. You can test a singer's versatility with many different songs.
    The lyrics to "Open Arms" are just kind of creepy when young kids sing them.
    I think they should also have a larger variety of song choices for the contestants. That might test their versatility more! Several songs have been repeated on AI1, AI2, and AJ. ("Can't Fight the Moonlight", "Proud Mary", "Somewhere Over the Rainbow"). It's getting kind of old.

FORT Newbie
    I agree. 2003 in my opinion would be bad. The songs are all rap! lol

FORT Fanatic
    That's because there are certain songs that EVERYONE uses for talent competitions and auditions.

For instance, if they do nineties, there's this Mariah Carey song (can't think of the title off the top of my head) that I would almost bet would be performed.

FORT Fanatic
    I'm not sure going WAY back in time is the answer either. If they're going to do that, at least not limit it to one year.

If they really want to add some mix to it, I'll be more than happy to teach them Disney songs in French.
    Congratulations Tori and Taylor!

FORT Fogey
    I like the fact that they're singing different eras. The first 2 groups could sing any song from any time era. In order to become a singer, you need to be versatile, meaning being able to sing more than one genre, etc. This tests the kids and shows America who the true idols are. Then again, it doesn't help much to those who pity vote. s

-Rach

FORT Fanatic
    I don't see why a child, in a five member group, would need to prove America it's versatility. The dixie chicks have never sang gospel, and Garth Brooks doesn't sing punk, so I don't think I quite understand why people believe it's necessary for these people to be versatile at all. Makes no sense.
    Congratulations Tori and Taylor!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast