+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Ryan Malcolm

If Billy was still here, I would have probably felt torn. As it is, I'm voting for Ryan.
    I won't be too stressed out if he doesn't win though. He's going to be very successful. Even Karen-Lee looks like she's going to be quite successful, and she was one of the first batch to leave.

Exactly crysma.
    Being on Canadian Idol will have given the contestants a leg up in theoir careers as they will be noticed by people who would likely have never seen them before.

Ryan just didn't do it for me last night.

I thought his version of the new single inferior to Gary's. Singing it loud doesn't equal singing it with empotion imo.
    They made it sound like two completely different songs to me, so there is a clear choice between which style you like and I have to say the treatment Gary gave it was more appealing tome.

I hated the way Ryan came bounding out to sing Stand By Me. Got to give him credit for the enthusiasm, but it just felt all wrong to me.

I have nothing against him, he just isn't my cup of tea. If he wins I'll wish him good luck though.
    He seems like a very nice guy.
    "That's Numberwang!"

eny
    FORT Fogey
    I have to agree Fluff. Ryan just didn't do it for me last night. That original song was HORRIBLE no matter who sang it though
    I would be quite surprised if he won. He needs to find the type of music that more suits him, he did sound quite forced last night.

One of the TO Star reporters suggested a more matchbox 20 kind of music for him, and I have to agree. Whichever wins , I will be happy .

Yep, he wasn't singing within his comfort zone from what I've come to know of his performances over the weeks.

I think Stand By Me was a bad choice simply because he doesn't have an R&B voice, that;s not where his strength lies.

I think the new song sounds a bit like You Are Not Alone by Michael Jackson in the chorus.
    "That's Numberwang!"

I wasn't a big fan of Something More from either of the contestants. I did love Ryan's Down on the Corner though. To me, that was just beautiful. I LOVE that performance. I also really enjoyed his Stand By Me, but I'm surprised that he was experimenting with a new sound (ie., the really high notes) at this point.

In the end it's just a matter of which style you prefer. I think Ryan's style is rock, but not the modern kind which consists of screaming and shouting. It's more like classic rock. You could really see it when he sang Drift Away.

Quote Originally Posted by fluff
    I think the new song sounds a bit like You Are Not Alone by Michael Jackson in the chorus.
    Yes, like every other R.Kelly song. Can you believe they collaborated together?

Jay
    I was surprised Ryan didn't sing a U2 song.

I thought the high notes were interesting in Stand By Me, but I find his bouncing up and down and fist clenching movements just as annoying as some find Gary's mic switching.

Ryan just doesn't do it for me.
    I think the voting will likely have been pretty close.
    "That's Numberwang!"

I think Ryan's style is rock, but not the modern kind which consists of screaming and shouting. It's more like classic rock.
    If Ryan's classic rock, then Gary's classic RnB/Soul. Both have styles suited to adult-contempo radio .
    Last edited by happyblue; 09-16-2003 at 06:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by happyblue
    If Ryan's classic rock, then Gary's classic RnB/Soul. Both have styles suited to adult-contempo radio .
    That's true... which will probably extend both their careers, rather than if they had been more geared towards the younger crowd.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast