+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruben/Clay Album Dates Postponed/Separated

Originally posted by leppard

I agree. Give Ruben his time in the limelight, because when Clay's CD hits the stands, it's gonna get nuts.
    Gee, ya think?

Fade to black

Even if I didn't like the results, doesn't matter. The winner should get preferential treatment. Otherwise the entire competition is rather meaningless.
    I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star in somebody else's eyes... but why... why... why can't it be me?

I agree Lobes.

If they are going to bother saying there was a winner instead of declaring a tie, then the winner should get some preferential treatment.
    Whoever that winner is and however close the margin of victory is imo.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Originally posted by hazyshadeof
    and as much as I hate to say this fluff, if Clay/Ruben came out on the same day, it'd only hurt Ruben because then he'll always be questioned about whether his winning was valid, and frankly that should never come into question.
    I agree with you hazy.
    The win has been questioned ever since it was declared unfortunately.
    "That's Numberwang!"

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by lobeck
    The Human Chia Pet

Thanks Lobeck I need a good laugh today. Excuse me while I clean the water off my monitor and keyboard now.

Look What Love Has Done ClaysAngel's Avatar
    Originally posted by abrahammy
    And I am also quite glad the competition between the men is really over now. One round to each guy. Two very popular and talented men who have become stars concurrently. And may they both live happily ever after.
    Amen to that. I would think that Clay having a #1 single for 2 weeks running would give us Clayzies our feeling of vindication that he is just as loved as Ruben. I don't think the boys care to continue competing as they are friends and want to see each other succeed.

FORT Regular
    To clarify:

he'll always be questioned about whether his winning was valid, and frankly that should never come into question.
    Even if there is significant evidence that it was not valid? If the process was flawed, then why shouldn't that be called into question so that it doesn't happen again? That said, Ruben absolutaly should not be the one to suffer for that. He's a victim here as well.
    Last edited by Sarah728; 07-01-2003 at 12:46 PM.

FORT Fan
    I love this "the winner deserves preferential treatment" argument.

Is this is the U.S. Constitution? Did I overlook it in the Ten Commandments?

When does the preferential treatment legitimately end? Next week, next year? Does it mean the winner of AI gets more promotion, more publicity, more money? Are more record sales guaranteed? More endorsements? More applause on the concert tour? Better seats at the Superbowl?

RCA decided to treat the results as a tie, and it would appear that's what they're doing. Many fans of Clay, Ruben, and AI thought releasing the two CDs on the same day to continue the competition a miserable idea, and RCA has decided against that.

A lot of Clay fans feel that getting Clay away from the AI aura will only be beneficial to him. On the press release about Ruben's CD, it was announced that song choices had been made to separate him from the AI aura as well.

Ruben wouldn't have a top selling CD if it hadn't been for AI. Clay wouldn't have a top selling CD if it hadn't been for AI. Carmen wouldn't have a movie role (oh no, a speaking part. Did Ruben get a speaking part in Scoobie Doobie Two? Is the winner of AI guaranteed more lines in his first movie than an AI runner up?) if it weren't for AI. Kimberley Locke wouldn't have gotten to sing "Crazy" if it weren't for AI. Frenchie wouldn't be in "Rent" if it weren't for AI, and she didn't even get to be a finalist.

AI2 was a huge success for Fox, for RCA, for 19E, and probably for Coke and Ford. But it's over. It gave headstarts to a lot of talented and appealing young people. Heck, it enabled Kimberly Caldwell to find a guy to date as pretty as she is.

But the show is over. Ruben got a title, a contract, and a lot of publicity and promotion.. He isn't going to get the preferential treatment Kelly Clarkson got, because Clay's fan base is considerably larger than Justin's. There is a quantitative and qualitative difference between Kelly/Justin and Ruben/Clay.

It won't surprise me if Ruben's CD is released first; I assume the odds that it will be are greater than 50/50. And it will probably be promoted as the AI winner's CD. But not because the winner of AI deserves preferential treatment. It will be because RCA thinks that's the best way of getting big sales numbers.

That's the American and American Idol way.

Oh, for the love of God...when I mentioned "preferential treatment", I simply meant that Ruben's CD should be released first since he is the winner (whether people like it or not) of AI2. Just as Kelly's was released before Justin's, so should Ruben's be released before Clay's.

FORT Regular
    I agree. Otherwise, what was the point of announcing a winner? I just feel like Ruben deserves something, even if its a small something.

however, deep down I know it's just because I am a bitter Kim Locke fan. I mean, Clay gets the winners treatment, meanwhile Kim was supposedly less than 4% within Ruben and she gets less than everybody in the darn competition.

bitterness aside, I'm glad they're releasing albums on seperate days. I agree with the notion that they both deserve a chance to shine without all the competition.

+ Reply to Thread