+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Song Choices

Song Choices

Originally I thought the kids picked their own songs, but from what I understand now, they are "given" songs that the producers and directors feel are suited to their voice.

I think some kids have been given better songs than others and unfortunately it has lost votes for many of the kids who were awesome in the auditions but didn't do as well on voting night.

Also...who the heck is supplying this list of songs? I realize they are instrumental tracks with background vocals on them but Geesh! You would think they could find some more modern material to give the kids.

Just my opinion.

Can I get confirmation on this?

FORT Fanatic
    I'm not sure this is true. Tori's song, "Let 'Er Rip" is listed as her favorite song, and she sang the song in the audition. I doubt that they would put that on any song list!
    Congratulations Tori and Taylor!

19E is very close-mouthed about how things work behind the scenes of AI and AJ, so if you really know anything for certain, I'd love to hear it. All I have to go on is what some of the AI2 contestants have to say after the fact. They got no help at all in selecting their songs, just help with presentation. I think the parents are helping with song selection on AJ. I wish it was different, as I think the kids could use help, but I can see why the producers wouldn't want to be blamed for a kid's song choice if things didn't go great.

For AI2, they were given a list of songs to choose from, and they could request a different one, but sometimes the owners of a song won't give permission for it to be used or want too high a royalty payment. One of the reasons so many AI and AJ songs are from the sixties is because the royalties are cheap. Also, compared to more contemporary songs, classic pop songs are more likely to have the kinds of lyrics that don't seem strange coming out of a kid's mouth.

FORT Newbie
    the kids had to give a list of 3-4 songs (their choice) that they would like to sing in the finals.

I think my post was taken out of context....yes, the kids are "given" a list a songs from which to choose for their performance (as I mentioned, these songs are pre-arranged with all the background instruments and vocals added) so the kids can't just pick any old song. Then their parents and the people involved with coaching the kids for their performance let them know which songs would suit them best.
    Tori would only be able to sing "Let er' Rip" because the song was pre-arranged as part of the list that they had the music for.

All I'm saying is, the fact that they don't get to choose a song that they would really love to perform is really too bad because I think if you love performing a song and it suits you well, you're going to do much better.

I had another thought. Because you never know what kind of things you're going to hear today, the only radio station I let my kids listen to indiscriminately is the oldies station, and I know a lot of other parents who say the same thing, so maybe kids under the age of 14 really do know those old songs.

FORT Regular
    About song selection... what besides Disney is a good choice for kids with great voices to sing? Especially girls?? There are virtually no pop songs appropriate for children that have any range. Bubble gum, lyrically neutral songs are usually pretty boring. The voting teenage public can't relate to older songs and much of the newer stuff is practically R rated. I would really like to know what you guys think.

Gospel music can be pretty demanding and is of high moral fiber.

yeah, the kids have to think of 5 songs and then the producers pick a song from that list. So the kids could end up with a song that they are semi-ok with, when a song their great at is not chosen!
    ~*~~*~Julie is still my American Junior!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast