+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Singles and Love Songs Reviews

Um, I DONT like the song at all. I do however LOVE Ruben's singing so I dont mind the facts behind it. Actually to be quite honest if its good enough for Luther to sing...hey why not. I personally wish he would put cant get enuff of your love, lets just kiss and say goodbye and how do you mend a broken heart on his new cd. I know they are old songs but hey he sounded GREAT and I find myself singing along everytime.

Edited to say I dont even like the FWW that much either. Its not his singing its the songs i dont like.

Can't Get Enough of Your Love and Let's Just Kiss rank as two of my favorite Ruben songs. This is what he should be releasing as singles instead.
    Check out my recaps of Dr. Who and other TV shows at http://recappersdelight.blogspot.com/

Just picked up Clay's CD tonight. Very disappointed how LOUD the choir is in BOTW. I could listen to TITN over, and over, and over again! I love his lower register! What a range he has. I would love for him to do some Hall & Oates songs. Daryll Hall has that fabulous range and "blue eyed soul" - and Clay could kick up those songs a notch. Clive, are you listening?

Gotta agree with a couple of posts above about Clay's CD. The songs sound great to me -- far better than most of what's on pop stations today (except oldies stations). BOTW is a classic song and Clay's Gospel version is different enough from the original that it need not suffer by comparison. You can LOVE both versions, 'cause they're so different.
    TITN, Randy Jackson notwithstanding, is a good pop song, along the lines of what Celine Dion might sing, and Clay sings it really well.

That said, I too am disappointed with the production on both -- especially BOTW. I want the non-viewers of AI to hear Clay's magnificent voice the way I have (both on AI and on his demos). When Clay sang BOTW on AI, I totally MELTED at his full, rich, sustained LOW notes on BOTW. That's gone on the CD because the choir half drowns him out AND because he doesn't hold the notes and 'milk' them as long. It's as though RCA wanted to make sure he didn't "oversing" (as though anyone ever told Whitney or Mariah or Celine not to "oversing") that they semi-eviscerated his performance.
    Even the final "glory note" of BOTW is cut short compared to the live AI performances. Why????
    Also, re the arrangement of BOTW, all 3 verses are pretty much done with the same volume & repeated lines & power. How much more beautiful would the CD have been if the second verse had been softer, more subdued, or if there had been a key change somewhere, or if the second or 3rd verse had ended on a soft but sustained, soulful note?

Same kind of criticisms of TITN, but I'm less disappointed with the production there. Just wish Clay had held out some notes longer, especially the lower ones.

I don't think Clay's CD is gonna lose him any fans, but I think he could've gained a lot more new ones if the songs had been produced better to showcase his voice and style.

---
    Ruben: Haven't heard the actual CD, but on Oprah he sounded better than on the AI final shows. Loved the quality and expressiveness of his voice. Personally, I wish he'd ditch the melisma shtick and sing more in the style of Ray Charles, Sam Cooke, and the classic R&B artists.

FWW is very catchy -- like We Are The World. And just as forgettable.

Hope some top-notch songwriters will pen some "instant classics" for both guys for their albums.
    Dogs have owners. Cats have staff. ;-D

FORT Newbie
    Originally posted by ruvin
    Correct me if I am wrong anyone but I seem to remember Elvis doing a gospel version (somewhat like Clays version) of Bridge Over Troubled Water. I know we will be dating ourselves but does anyone else remember that?
    Elvis recorded several versions of BOTW, as well as performing it in concert on numerous occasions. I don't know that I would call it a gospel version though... mostly just him, piano, drum, and bass. It is arranged almost exactly like Clay's version without the choir. Another has a very light background of singers which is also arranged similar, but without Clay's wonderful ending.

Just a couple comments on the Love Songs CD.

With the songs Josh and Carmen sang, they really brought back the whole AI 2 experience. I could visualize them perfectly - down to the finger shaking!

Having settled in to that mode, Trenyce's single just blew me away. I completely forgot who I was listening to. I had it playing while I was working and started zoning out the music until that came on. It was just fantastic.

Those were the mmemorable moments from the first time through for me. I haven't had a chance to listen to it again since Friday, so I'm sure it'll be different the next couple times around!
    One by one, the penguins are stealing my sanity

CurvesForum

You don't know sin-gen! rockinyoursocks's Avatar
    Reviews of all songs

Great
    Julia - At Last
    Kim C - Killing me softly
    Clay - This is the night
    Charles - Overjoyed
    Josh - Three times a Lady
    Good
    Trenyce - Lets stay together
    Rickey - Back at one
    Clay - Bridge over troubled waters
    Ruben - Flying without wings
    Average
    Ruben - Superstar
    Bad
    Kim L - Somewhere over the Rainbow
    Clay - On the wings of love
    Carmen - How do I live
    Corey - Open arms
    Let me know if I've missed any
    Trenyce Rocks Mine, Can I Rock Yours?

Haven't heard Ruben's CD yet, but I have heard him sing FWW on a couple of TV shows and I think he sounds better than on the final competition. Really nice.

Clay's TITN and BOTW both sound better than the "preview" (allegedly) studio versions I found on the web before the CD was released, and I think both are more than radio-worthy. But the production quality on both is about a C+ to B grade. RCA can do much better by Clay.

Oh, I also loved Julia DeMato's "At Last" (on the Classic American Love Songs CD).

I came a bit late to AI2 so I am really enjoying the Love Songs CD. Overall I think each person sounds really good and that is not surprising when you think about how many contestants came before them... they should be good.
    I especially like Josh's rendition of Three Times a Lady and even though I wasn't wild about Trenyce on the show, she sounds great on the CD.

Besides the Love CD, on the other end of the spectrum, I enjoy watching Clay's Hometown Tour. I bought it originally as a donation to charity. It is so homemade and funny, my husband laughs and says his home movies are better. I have to agree, but it is so real and unpretentious, that it makes some of the overproduced videos look silly by comparison. I am so impressed with how Clay can just produce, on request, a song like the Star Spangled Banner or On the Wings of Love, straight up, without any back-up in such a gorgeous, clear and flawless manner. He stands there just as he did when he was 4, singing away. It just shows you how amazingly talented he is. He doesn't need any garnishing. I hope they tone down the choir in BOTW for his next CD.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast