+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Morgan Burke - Group 1

Nerds Just Wanna Have Fun Boredom's Avatar
    Micheal Jackson was funny, and baby hands and feet are soooo cute.

What are vocal gymnastics?

FORT Fogey
    When he was going up and down and alternating chords, etc. Remember when he was singing and was doing crazy things with his voice?

Thanks for the fluff!

I agree with ya'll that what I heard Morgan do to OTR was wierd, but he doesn't sing the song like that. Which makes me wonder what he was doing in that clip we saw.... hmmmm? :

he seems like he has a great voice, he just over did the song
    ~*~~*~Julie is still my American Junior!

Splendid Street Urchin Gavroche's Avatar
    I think that Morgan has an excellent voice, and though I do agree that he overdid Over the Rainbow, I think he did it for a reason. I don't really think that's the way he'll sing all throughout the competition, and that he was just showing the producers his (may I say amazing) range. Though I could be wrong. If he keeps singing all over the place and does the same thing again this week, then I'll be asking questions...but it did for him in the first auditions what he wanted...he made it to the top 20! And his dancing is really great! My only wonder is if he can tone everything down to fit in a group, his singing and his dancing can be quite out there sometimes. But I won't count him out just yet!
    "Allons enfants de la patrie..."
    Long Live Us!

Claymate #1493

Congratulations Taylor, Tori, Chauncey, Lucy, Danielle!
    Go Audrey!

I agree totally
    ~*~~*~Julie is still my American Junior!

FORT Fogey
    Here's an article about him:

Morgan Burke: From Talented Kid to American Junior
    by David Bloomberg -- 06/09/2003

When Morgan Burke set fire to the stage on American Juniors, it wasn’t his first time – he also appeared on America’s Most Talented Kid and received high scores for both his performance and the way he acted.

View Printable version of this article

When Morgan Burke took the stage to try out for American Juniors, lightbulbs of recognition went off in the heads of several readers. Why? Because it turns out he had just recently been on America’s Most Talented Kid on NBC! The 12-year-old from Tennessee didn’t make it there, but he has another chance now.

Morgan performed on the fourth episode of AMTK, in the 8-12 bracket. His competition was 10-year-old Brityn Martin from Colorado, and 11-year-old Lateefa Dooling from Florida. He performed first, singing “Georgia On My Mind.” He told the host that he loves Ray Charles and singing the blues, and described his pre-performance ritual as praying, doing jumping jacks, messing up the costume with the jumping jacks, having his mom fix the costume, and then doing more jumping jacks. He scored a 9.7 in both Talent and Showmanship. However, Brityn, who performed second and danced to “Dancing Machine,” ended up with a 9.8 and 9.9, putting her in first place for the night.

That wasn’t the end, however. Morgan was brought back for the second Wildcard show. He sang Donna Summers’ “Last Dance” this time around and RealityNewsOnline reviewer Jamie Goralski noted she “like his version better than the original.” He received scores of 9.9 in Talent and 10 in Showmanship. However, even such high scores were not enough to put him through to the finals as nine-year-old L.D. Miller, from Indiana, sang and played harmonica to a very bluesy “Fever” and rocked the house. He received 10s in both Talent and Showmanship, and thus beat out Morgan for the last spot in the Finals.

But that’s not why people remembered Morgan. In what Goralski called “one of the coolest moments of the series,” Morgan ran on-stage to give L.D. a hug and sincere congratulations. His enthusiasm was a little bit ahead of his feet, though, and he tripped on the way. It was one of those moments that just sticks with viewers because it was so classy of him to do it.

Indeed, Goralski noted that, “Morgan is not only talented but exceptionally gracious and that will serve him well in his career in entertainment, as even though he didn’t win he surely has one in his future.” Perhaps we didn’t realize just how soon that career would put him back in the public eye, but there he was, auditioning in Chattanooga, and, as host Ryan Seacrest put it, setting fire to the stage. He didn’t sing either of the two songs he’d performed on AMTK, which I find a bit odd – he received a 9.9 and a 10 for the latter one, so it was obviously good! And 9.7 isn’t too shabby either.

But for whatever reason, Morgan sang “Somewhere Over the Rainbow.” Frankly, my take (click here for my full recap) was that he overdid the song a bit. He showed his range by hitting a number of high notes, but I didn’t think they were particularly appropriate to those portions of the song. (Several of the readers who wrote in to note that he’d been on AMTK felt that his performances on that show were better than this particular one.) Still, that is something that can be coached – pure talent is something he already has. Plus, the way he showed his personality supported his high AMTK “Showmanship” scores. To top it all off, he did well in the dance portion, too.

Morgan was one of the kids who moved forward to the semi-finals from Chattanooga. As of right now, there are 45 semi-finalists, but more are coming next week from the New York auditions. After all is said and done, they will be cut down to only 20. I think Morgan has the potential to be one of those 20. If he makes it, his status becomes a matter of the viewer vote, and his previous showings on AMTK can only help him there.

But if by chance he doesn’t make it here – whether he doesn’t get the viewer vote or doesn’t make it to the finals at all – I’m sure Star Search will be back again next Fall!

http://www.foxesonidol.com/cgi-bin/a...241.art&page=1

FORT Fogey
    Your good at finding articles,

-Rach

WOW!!! Morgan was absolutely amazing tonight! He really blew me away! I hope he makes it to the next round! He's on my good side as long as he doesn't do those vocal gymnastics.

+ Reply to Thread