I’ve noticed that most viewers base their votes strictly on the most recent week’s performance…but I think that what makes more sense is to base votes on cumulative performance with weighted importance on the most recent week. With that in mind, here’s my cumulative power rankings for the Top 9 (last week’s ranking in parentheses):
1. Danielle White (3)- She has been the most consistent from week to week. I just love the tone of her voice- it’s so pure and melodic, seems like she’s from another era. She just has this wonderful vibe about her. I voted for her at least a hundred times this week and I hope she at least makes it into the Top 3.
2. Lucy Hale (2)- She’s evolving into a diva with each performance. Just astonishing power, range, and control for a 13 year old. One criticism that I have is that she is carrying her vocal runs a split second too long…too melismatic for me to really enjoy her performance of “Make it Easy on Yourself.” Less is more, Lucy. But if the group is going to have a “lead singer,” she’s the best candidate.
3. Chantel Kohl (1)- My personal favorite- I think she has the most star quality of anyone in this group. But chinks in the armor started to show when she sang “Stony End.” Her voice seems to thin out in the lower range, but she still has this wonderful richness in her upper register. She has to be careful to select songs that really flatter her voice.
4. Tori Thompson (4)- Tori has this amazing stage presence which gives her an advantage (over some of the better vocalists) being on TV. Not to take anything away from her voice- I love how her voice has a very distinct sound. This past week, she didn’t seem like she was having fun up on stage like in the previous weeks. Seems like the pressure of trying to join her sister in the band got to her. I don’t think she has anything to worry about- I’d be shocked if America didn’t vote her in this week.
5. Chauncey Matthews (10)- Up until this week, I was wondering why he was in the Top 10 instead of Grace Leer or Kristinia DeBarge. Now, armed with his new-found confidence, he’s looking like a contender. I am still a bit skeptical because that song that he chose was so perfect for his voice, it’ll be hard to match that again. I actually hope that he doesn’t get into this group because his voice needs some time to mature and he just seems too innocent (even more innocent than the others) to be a pop star.
6. AJ Melendez (5)- He’s like a mini Justin Guarini- he’s got that look, that stage presence, even similar song choices. “I’ll Be There” was a tough song for him to sing…seems like he’s going through puberty and will have to make some adjustments to his voice, because when he sings in the falsetto, it sounds like a totally different singer, and it just threw off the sound of his natural voice. I do think that he’s the best bet of the guys to make it into the group, but song choice will be very important for him.
7. Morgan Burke (9)- Talent wise, he’d be ranked much higher…but I get the sense that he’s performing for himself, not for the audience. He has a tendency to give “too much” in his performances, and there’s just something about him that doesn’t seem quite so genuine that it’s hard to like him.
8. Katelyn Tarver (8)- She seems like a bit of a wallflower personality-wise. Her voice doesn’t have the power of Lucy’s or Chantel’s, or the grace of Danielle’s. I do like the fact that her rendition of “Close to You” was so sincere. She has more of an easy, subtle voice, but I don’t think she is ready to be a professional singer.
9. Jordan McCoy (6)- Vocally, she’s out of her league here. But she has so much personality, it’s hard not to like her…even though her performance of “ABC” was just too much like a 5th grade talent show. She’ll have to bank on her cuteness to get into the group.
How would the rest of you rank the performers on a cumulative basis? Who has everyone been voting for? I think I’ll be doing overall power rankings each week from now on…if anyone cares.