+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: 3/4 TAR 28 Episode 4 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 3/4 TAR 28 Episode 4 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

I too didn't like the models whining and if the one hustled a bit on flags the team wouldn't have missed the train connection. Great example of never give up on the Amazing Race as you don't know who got lost or delayed.

Sometimes it seems the concept of this is a race gets lost on the racers. I liked the flag challenge as it was a puzzle and I like puzzle challenges on the race cause it evens the field.
    No goat killers on my island.

Animals over People :) Fanny Mare's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    I too didn't like the models whining and if the one hustled a bit on flags the team wouldn't have missed the train connection. Great example of never give up on the Amazing Race as you don't know who got lost or delayed.

Sometimes it seems the concept of this is a race gets lost on the racers. I liked the flag challenge as it was a puzzle and I like puzzle challenges on the race cause it evens the field.
    They didn't even hustle when they saw the other train. They seemed defeated from the flags and resigned to being last. That was our opinion anyway..
    Marcus and allornothing like this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I dunno why Blodie suddenly had to become an entire thing, when not a word was spoken about it in the previous episodes. It felt like 20% of the episode was dedicated to them.

The bench detour must've had very precise requirements. Remember that while they only tell the viewers a few lines, they have a whole sheet with the details of what can and cannot be done. I'm guessing it explicitely told them to do it this way. Had they not have to sit on the bench, it would've been easier to count, say, the first 3 parts of the bench, and then multiply that by the number of bench parts. I'm guessing it was also a requirement to sit next to your partner every time, else it would've been faster to do it with two or three teams. Even if half the people had to sit on the bench at all times, you could jump two or three seats per hop, instead of just one seat.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_Griss View Post
    I did see someone sit on top of a person who wouldn't move, which was really obnoxious (the sitting, not the refusing to move). Who do the racers think they are to behave that way?
    Brittany sat down on Cole's lap, not on the lap of a random stranger. It's sometimes hard to know what the chemistry is between the different racers, but I assumed it was just a joke among friends, and not something to be taken in a rude way. Remember that these two teams just had wandered around together, finding the detour location. Had it not been Cole but a random person unrelated to the race, I would've totally agreed with you.

That said, Dana did order Matt to sit on the chessplayer's lap, to scare him off. She really doesn't seem to have any concern for other people whatsoever. On their second run, she actually sat down and THEN pushed against the chessboard, thereby knocking the white king over. Looking at the board, white had practically won. Queen to g7 would've been checkmate, and even if it was black's turn, there was no way that black could prevent it. But since the white king fell, technically speaking, black had won the game, even though there was like no actual chance for black to win that game.

I wonder why some people didn't pick up and move onto another bench. It was clear that there were a few smaller benches that didn't have all these annoying people with their newspapers passing by every time, so I got the feeling these people were hired to hang out there.

As for the models, they seemed to put little effort into things. On the way to the bench detour, they were happy to let Cole and his mom figure everything out, talk to the locals and get directions, and just walk after them. They were last at the bench challenge, together with Cole and Sheri. Yes, there was some teamwork going on, when Kurt and Brodie shared their answer with Burnie and Ashley, as well as Matt and Dana, but only after those teams had given a wrong answer, forcing them to redo the challenge regardless. They were just dead last, and obviously arrived dead last at the roadblock. I have no idea why they expected the other teams to help them when they were so far behind. In the end, it turned out a good move, as the teams that were still there when Brittany and Jessica arrived were near the end of the pack when it came to the footrace. Though perhaps if Jessica had whined less and worked harder at the challenge, or if they actually ran from one train to another, they would've still be in it. Not particularly sad to see them go.

I'm sad, but not at all surprised that Korey messed up the flag of Luxembourg with the flag of the Netherlands. They are pretty close, after all, save for the tint of blue. I was afraid that was totally going to screw up my pool scores, but somehow, my teams managed to enter 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th regardless. Only downside is that my Captains ended in 2nd place.
    Punkin, Lindyhop1 and allornothing like this.

Thanks for clarifying about Brittany and Cole. I was only half paying attention, and I missed that detail.

I eventually found myself wondering if the chess guys weren't actors or someone hired to sit there and disrupt the activity, since they kept sitting back down and playing instead of moving somewhere else, which would have been the logical thing to do after being interrupted so many times.
    allornothing likes this.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

The whole bench challenge seemed very contrived and staged, actually. I mean, first off, they couldn't come up with anything more interesting than a long bench in all of Geneva? And secondly, why give so many rules about having to count the length in exactly one way? All that does is prevent the teams from using their brains and trying to outsmart one another by doing the challenge faster or more efficiently than another team. I would've preferred that they leave it up to the teams to figure out how to measure the bench length, and to see different teams use different creative methods to attack the problem.

The Swiss Army knife task seemed cooler. Though I for sure would've flubbed it.

The Models tweeted that they simply were not able to make the train connection, as they were about an hour behind all other teams, with Blair tweeting that for some teams, the flag task took longer than it normally would have because there was absolutely no wind, so it was difficult to see the actual flag designs and some of them got confused with other similar flags. Looks like that's what happened to the Models.

And I don't blame them for "whining", though they understood why the whole thing happened, but it doesn't make it any less frustrating, and I'd have been angry too. I've actually decided to quit this season due to seeing most of the other teams being such a-holes about the whole thing. They were just so giddy about having the Models come in last that it made me want to puke, as well as everyone ignoring Brittany when she asked for help rather than having the backbone to at least be upfront about why they were not helping her. Even the whole "get down" in the train was so childish.

Most of the teams behaved like that too, which just totally threw me off this whole season. I don't care anymore, I'm out. I hate it when people get so competitive that they just get mean spirited, that killsthe fun for me.

I didn't get any mean-spirited vibe off of them at all. This wasn't like the NLU ("not like us") season where the teams were so nasty that they actually made me sympathize with Brendan and Rachel! Nobody was being nasty about it. They simply weren't helping their competitors, because it's a race and I don't understand why so many of them seem to have so much trouble understanding that. Sure, team up if there's a strategic advantage to doing so. But it is a competition. It honestly baffles me that, season after season, contestants are accused of being "mean" for not letting their competitors in front of them, or not sitting back and letting someone else win. How is that mean?

As for the flag task taking a while due to lack of wind, sure, I can see how that might happen. It might've also helped if the models knew a couple of the flags on sight, like some of the other teams did. Learning flags, countries, geography, capitals, languages, etc. are all useful skills for the race, I would think.

I think the models were so angry because they're honestly accustomed to going through life by batting their eyelashes at people and getting them to do things for them. People like that piss me off. The world doesn't owe you any favours. Step up to the plate.
    holly71, Punkin, Marcus and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by CynicalRomantic View Post
    I didn't get any mean-spirited vibe off of them at all. This wasn't like the NLU ("not like us") season where the teams were so nasty that they actually made me sympathize with Brendan and Rachel! Nobody was being nasty about it. They simply weren't helping their competitors, because it's a race and I don't understand why so many of them seem to have so much trouble understanding that. Sure, team up if there's a strategic advantage to doing so. But it is a competition. It honestly baffles me that, season after season, contestants are accused of being "mean" for not letting their competitors in front of them, or not sitting back and letting someone else win. How is that mean?

As for the flag task taking a while due to lack of wind, sure, I can see how that might happen. It might've also helped if the models knew a couple of the flags on sight, like some of the other teams did. Learning flags, countries, geography, capitals, languages, etc. are all useful skills for the race, I would think.

I think the models were so angry because they're honestly accustomed to going through life by batting their eyelashes at people and getting them to do things for them. People like that piss me off. The world doesn't owe you any favours. Step up to the plate.
    I most definitely got a mean spirited vibe from a lot of teams. In the train, doing the whole "get down" thing, Tyler and Whats-His-Name grinning while saying "they would want us to win for them", most of the teams just looked so jolly and giggly about the models being behind, not in a competitive "thank goodness we won't be last" but in a "look at those two coming in last" way, it just gave me nausea.

And yes, I know it's a race, and the Models clearly knew it too, Brittany did mention that she knew why nobody would help her. And I understand nobody wanting to help her, I just got grossed out by teams blatantly ignoring her rather than have the balls to say to them "Look, I'm really sorry, but you arrived last and I don't want to risk my chances of staying in the race by helping a team behind me". That's all it would take. I understand competitiveness, but I don't abide by crappy behavior, which most of these teams displayed, at last in my opinion. I hate mean competitiveness.

And I also disagree with you about the Models, I did not get a "we're so helpless so you should help us out in doing everything so we don't put in any effort" vibe from them, these girls would jump into the tasks and get them done. Only time they asked for any help was in the flag task, and being so far behind and desperate to stay, it's understandable.
    navybelle likes this.

Honestly, the models were just following after Sheri and Cole, rather than trying to find the route themselves. They relied on others pointing them in the right direction more than just at that one task.

You're seeing things that aren't there, Rembrant.

Quote Originally Posted by Thels View Post
    Honestly, the models were just following after Sheri and Cole, rather than trying to find the route themselves. They relied on others pointing them in the right direction more than just at that one task.

You're seeing things that aren't there, Rembrant.
    I'm not talking about going to places, though, I'm talking about the actual race tasks. For example, during that Detour at the beach, they decided to go for the cooking option, they didn't complain about fish being gross or anything (with my phobia of fish, I know I could not do that task if it was me) or anything, they poked fun at themselves when they made a mistake on one of their fish and they just went in and got it done. The flag task is the only task I ever saw them actually ask for help.
    navybelle likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123