+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617
Like Tree431Likes

Thread: 4/27 TAR 24: Episode 9 **West Coast Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    I was the one who referred to him as Saint Dave and it had absolutely nothing to do with insulting those who like him. I'm not sure how you extrapolated that from my comment.

Your choice of words came across as a specific jab at Dave because of the way people who like him tend to describe him. I actually didn't mention anything else about that post only that "St. Dave" stuck out for the reasons I mentioned. It sounded like it was being used to target his nice guy persona (and those who believe him to be a nice guy). That's what I extrapolated from your word choice in connection to how I and others like me view and describe Dave. It's really no big deal. I was just talking about the extreme reactions people have posted about Dave and how for me and others, it's surprising the depth of the negativity expressed since I perceive him as an overall nice guy who, imo, is being judged more harshly because of that niceness.

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat View Post
    *cough* No one?!? *cough*
    You have read my posts, yes? I think I have even used the word 'hate' referencing them.

I think there has been quite a split here, and it has made for an interesting discussion. I'm afraid I'm quite middle of the road, except for my despisement (not a real word) of Rachden.

As for the word 'hate', I think we can agree that it is quite subjective. Some people throw it around (guilty) and it doesn't mean much. For others, it is a very offensive word, and I can totally understand the shock at seeing it used in a casual way. Very understandable. It's all how an individual views the word.
    I was generalizing spockwocket you have written some insightful posts. I gave you thumbs up! And I was trying to explain that, at least in my perception, Rachel and Brandon are being judged by one set of criteria while Dave is being held to a higher standard. Not be everyone, but by enough folks that it has created lively discussion. Brendon and Rachel's behavior is sometimes explained away as bad editing or competitive, while Dave's behavior is being hammered.

As for the use of the word hate, The Klu Klux Klan and Hitler using the word (as two of many examples) is horrific, but a person using the word to describe their feelings toward a person who has raped them or murdered someone they love(as an example) cannot be judged as being used in the same way. Denying a person the use of those words to express what they went through, because the word hate is always bad, can traumatize the survivor further. Nor can Dave or my use of it during a game be judged as having the same intent as when used by the Hitler's of the word. To me, the word can indeed be morally lethal, but it can also be used in a way that helps a human being cope with the complexities of surviving a traumas that goes beyond the average persons experience with painful situations.
    We bring our life experiences to this and so I don't think, for me, at least, absolutes always apply to the use of a word.
    Last edited by Arielflies; 05-02-2014 at 07:50 PM.
    " I'm a Republican. I only seem liberal because I believe hurricanes are caused by high barometric pressure, not gay marriage."- Will Macavoy The Newsroom

CCL

Re: 4/27 TAR 24: Episode 9 **West Coast Spoilers**

Not sweetpea but I could see how the term "Saint Dave" would be apropos because he has shown a tendency to act the martyr.
    I don't like Dave now - which is a bit ironic as at the outset I chose him and Connor as my team captains- but I think it's good that people are having different opinions on teams and events. Even if other people's opinions are wrong. Just kidding. Better to have spirited discussion than apathy. I don't recall his specific usage of the word hate but I know I've been guilty of bandying the word - and others - around without really truly meaning it. It's not for that that I don't like him. And I like Rachael - come at me. .
    Punkin, sweetpea and Allie like this.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Even Big Easy occasionally got cranky, like when they were doing the mules. but I still love them

Dave was running somewhere, I think back to the task from the U turn board, when he said it, and he didn't sound venomous to me. He sounded like he was voicing frustration, but not seriously meaning he hates them. Of course that's just my opinion.
    Last edited by Duckyface; 05-02-2014 at 09:13 PM.
    redsox girl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    Not sweetpea but I could see how the term "Saint Dave" would be apropos because he has shown a tendency to act the martyr.
    This is exactly how I think of him.

Truth be told, I don't think he meant "I hate them!" seriously in any way. I certainly didn't take it that way. But he does seem to have trouble shrugging off things that don't go his way, and his actions on the train with the country singers were childish and unnecessary, and not something I'd expect of a man his age. From his tweet I suspect he likely feels somewhat embarrassed as well.
    holly71, GabbyG and Midol like this.
    Congratulations Mickey and Pete!

I am sure in a race for a Million Dollars, we would all more than likely say something that we would regret afterwards. Everyone has to be exhausted.
    There's no place like home!

Likely so. And they didn't even go to India this season, which is where "killer fatigue" usually sets in. Honestly, they have gotten off pretty lightly when it comes to public transportation this season. Most of the time they have driven themselves. I still remember an all-girl team squeezed onto a crowded, hot train in India, worrying about being groped. That did not look like fun, and in a situation like that I am sure I'd lose it as well.
    captain and GabbyG like this.
    Congratulations Mickey and Pete!

FORT Newbie

OK. . . . I now hate Leo and Jamal.

I wonder why the discussions are so very D&C vs B&R. Seems that a lot of people are assuming that those that dislike D&C are per default cheering for B&R and vice versa. A lot of comments about "Why do you blame Dave when Rachel did that?"

Both teams have their faults. Both teams are only human. The production crew loves drama, and emphasizes it. Live with it.
    Miss_Griss and redsox girl like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Thels View Post
    I wonder why the discussions are so very D&C vs B&R. Seems that a lot of people are assuming that those that dislike D&C are per default cheering for B&R and vice versa. A lot of comments about "Why do you blame Dave when Rachel did that?"

Both teams have their faults. Both teams are only human. The production crew loves drama, and emphasizes it. Live with it.
    I don't think people are assuming just because someone is anti one team, they are pro the other, it just came about because D&C were going on and on and on about why Branchel U-turned them specifically because they are such nice guys, Dave is old, they are no threat etc and how could anyone think about u-turning them. We saw the singers last night going on about it yet again. Frankly, I wish they would all just shut up about it and race but as you said, producers love their drama.
    Miss_Griss likes this.
    Alcohol does not solve problems but neither does milk...

The best exercise in the world is to bend down and help someone up.

+ Reply to Thread