+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree231Likes

Thread: 4/20 TAR 24: Episode 8 **West Coast Spoilers**

Re: 4/20 TAR 24: Episode 8 **West Coast Spoilers**

Maybe some nice contestants, like nice people, are actually just that, nice. Maybe it isn't editing or strategy or some other nefarious, selfish purpose that `makes' them nice. Maybe, some people truly are nice, choose to be nice, no editing needed.
    Because really nice people are also just people, that means they are going to have moments when they are human. Choosing to be nice, kind, polite and helpful doesn't mean being perfect or saintly or nice every second of the day, on or off camera. Nice people have their very human moments. I do know genuinely kind people seem to be held to a higher standard of behavior so that moments of human fragility are amplified and magnified. Their genuine kindness questioned, called fraudulent over minor breeches in their kind nature.
    Maybe Leo and his partners kind comments about Dave and Connor were genuine regardless of the outcome? Their emotions about David and Connor coming from a place of genuine honesty and warmth? Maybe for some contestants, something more important than winning happens during their journey. Maybe they change for the better, as eluded to by Leo and his partner. There are those who will win at any cost, those who used to want to win at any cost and those who hope to win without having to trade off personal ethics.
    Isn't it possible Dave and Connor inspire genuine respect? Maybe, the editors were thinking "Hey, we have to edit out even more nice comments about these two because if we don't, some viewers will think we gave them a super great edit." lol
    Maybe I am being duped. Maybe the Dave and Connors of the world are just being nice for strategic reasons or are nice because of a favorable edit. But, Maybe some nice contestants, like nice people, are actually just that, nice. Not perfect, mind you, but just more nice than not nice.

and I solemnly swear to never use the word nice ever again in my posts. Because I have used it waaaaayyyyy too much.
    Last edited by redsox girl; 04-21-2014 at 07:38 PM.
    Punkin, waywyrd, Florimel and 3 others like this.
    " I'm a Republican. I only seem liberal because I believe hurricanes are caused by high barometric pressure, not gay marriage."- Will Macavoy The Newsroom

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, 7up Pinball Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, Bejeweled® 2 Action Champion spockwhat's Avatar

I think the reason Leo and Jamal were so nice about it was because first, they genuinely like Dave and Conner, and second because Dave and Conner were upfront about it; they told the Afghanimals before they even started their task so they could work together and let the Afghanimals know what the needed to complete their donkey.

I would be pretty nice too if someone U-turned me and then helped me with it anyway.

And yeah, some people are nice by nature, but it IS a race and there is nothing wrong to think strategy in any of these reality games. So if nice comes in helpful, heck, it does.
    In life, I like to think I'm kind of a nice person, generally I believe in doing good deeds all the time for strangers, but in a race, yep, it'd definitely be in the back of my mind how that might help in the game.
    It's just different!
    Punkin likes this.
    Happy Birthday, sir, despite the circumstances.--John Green

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat View Post
    I think the reason Leo and Jamal were so nice about it was because first, they genuinely like Dave and Conner, and second because Dave and Conner were upfront about it; they told the Afghanimals before they even started their task so they could work together and let the Afghanimals know what the needed to complete their donkey.
    Color me jaded, but I don't think there would have been so much nicey nice going on if any of those teams believed for a second that the Globetrotters had any shot at all of finishing ahead of any of them.
    GabbyG and Photobabe like this.
    "Everything you do matters. Every moment, every decision you make – it affects the people around you – it changes the world in a million imperceptible ways. No matter what your reality, you can make it better." -- Richard Castle

Quote Originally Posted by mushybrain View Post
    Color me jaded, but I don't think there would have been so much nicey nice going on if any of those teams believed for a second that the Globetrotters had any shot at all of finishing ahead of any of them.
    Agree 100%
    xcptnl likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I think what irks most people about Dave, and what is starting to irk me about him as well, is that not only does he prefer to play nice with other teams instead of playing the cuttthroat (which is totally ok on itself), but that he also insist that all other teams do so as well, and when one of the other teams does not play nice towards him, he gets pretty mad about it. The 60 year old gig is getting really old, really fast. I used to like this team. Now I'm only meh about it.

I also don't understand why you U-Turn another team, and then do your best to help them to make up for it. Why did you bother U-Turning them in the first place? Might as well just not U-Turned them...

As for Brenchel, they decided to U-Turn another team that was close on their heels, to try and get the first place of the lap. Overall not too bright a strategy for winning the one million, but it net them 15k. They are the only lone shark team, which may cost them in the end, but who knows. I don't mind them U-Turning another team, as it's part of the game.

I do mind a lot of other things about them, including how they expect that god helps them end up first. I'm an atheist, but even if there was a god, why would that god favor them over the other teams? That's just stupid and selfish, and that has always bothered me about religious teams that thought their deity would help them win the race. Fortunately, there have also been religious teams with the sense that god probably could not care less which of the teams would win the race.

Oh, and they showed at least the cowboys failing at the calligraphy, as he got out of line. Connor also was about to give up. I don't think you'd give up without trying at least once. The Globetrotters were so far behind (it was very dark when they arrived, while it was still bright daylight when the country girls arrived), that I expect them to have lagged behind as well.

I liked the Afghanimals last time, despite their failed attempts to "play the game", which didn't work out for them at all. They seemed to have totally tossed their "play the game" strategy out of the window, and are playing more honestly, which only makes them more enjoyable this time around.

The Cowboys aren't aligning with any of the others, either. They, along with Brenchel, are on their own running their way as they see fit.

I don't have a problem with teams helping teams in the early legs, but once you get to this stage, a team should be looking out for itself and not worry about the others...especially if they have been "nice" to you or not. With that it just gets petty and mean. I'm looking at you, Dave. Learn to take the high road and shrug it off.
    xcptnl and Fanny Mare like this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

He activates my yummy!!!! yourefired's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat View Post
    I agreed with the poster (azchristian?) who stated that helping people throughout the race or deliberately not helping are just two different strategies you can use to your advantage... neither is heinous or improper if used logically.
    If you feel like it won't get you eliminated, a little help can go a long way. On the other hand, helping a strong team from being eliminated isn't a great strategy.

In this case, I feel like Rachel and Brendan made a dumb move. U-turning a team right behind you is only done to clinch yourself a win. It would have been smarter to U-turn a really strong team that started further back (eg. Afghanimals) to increase their chances of being eliminated. The best U-turn you can do is the one that results in an elimination because that team won't be back to work against you. What were the chance of Dave and Conner failing to finish since the were so close to the front? It was bad strategy, and all for 15,000 bucks... with a million on the line.

IMHO had the U-Turn been used differently, it would have led to the elimination of a weaker team (Country singers). All this u-turn did was allow the girls to catch up to their guardian angels so they could get help. I think the globetrotters would have caught up with Jen and Caroline and perhaps even passed them.

I still think Dave and Connor are idiots for helping their competition at this stage. What if he'd had to take the penalty (like hhe contemplated doing) on that last task. Helping the other 2 could have led to their elimination.

In the end, Brenhel got their immediate victory and accomplished that goal. Whether it will hurt them in the end remains to be seen. I hope it doesn't because I think they've run a smart race and deserve to be in the final 3.
    Geisha Ninja Sparkle Dance
    Twirling Ninja Sparkle Dance

Ah, well, Globetrotters, I'd watch you in a travel show doing weird challenges and eating strange things, just the two of you! I don't get the very active helping other teams out at this stage, and am impressed with how the Cowboys can go on their own without alienating anyone. At the same time, I don't think Brenchel should be so highly criticized for doing the same, but maybe they've alienated the other teams in other ways. Not sure what those other teams would have thought or how they'd act if they u-turned the Cowboys, like Rachel wanted...

I'd have to say that my favorite team left is the Cowboys, but I think I'd like to see Brenchel and the Afghanimals make it to Final 3.
    Punkin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    The Cowboys aren't aligning with any of the others, either. They, along with Brenchel, are on their own running their way as they see fit.
    Not exactly. While the cowboys aren't openly helping out other teams, such as some of the other teams in the game, they aren't directly opposing the other teams either, and keeping a friendly attitude towards them.

Team Brenchel is really getting the other teams against them to gain mere seconds in time...
    spockwhat likes this.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, 7up Pinball Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, Bejeweled® 2 Action Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thels
    Oh, and they showed at least the cowboys failing at the calligraphy, as he got out of line. Connor also was about to give up. I don't think you'd give up without trying at least once. The Globetrotters were so far behind (it was very dark when they arrived, while it was still bright daylight when the country girls arrived), that I expect them to have lagged behind as well.
    The cowboys didn't fail... Jet recognized his as not being good enough and decided to not hand it in and started over. I really admired Jet's patience with the task. Because he was scrutinizing himself closely, his was passed when he did hand it in.
    Rachel, on the other hand, did fail. Each of the lines were different sizes, but she was so sure hers was amazing. The whiny "but it was really good" or whatever she said is pure Rachel coming through. And Brenden being so patronizing. Gosh.
    redsox girl and Jaceegirl like this.
    Happy Birthday, sir, despite the circumstances.--John Green

+ Reply to Thread