+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First perceptions of TAR

Fade to black

First perceptions of TAR

Thanks to 20 people insisting to me that this is one of the best reality shows ever, and coupled with threats by John and Fluff to delete every lame post I ever make if I didn't watch it, I decided to give this show a shot. First, let me tell you a little about my television viewing habits. I have none. Outside of American Idol (don't ask me how I got into that show) and Friends (I've been watching it since the inception, hard not to watch it now), I don't watch any network or cable television. FORT, I have a feeling, is going to change that - because the conversation and camraderie is fantastic here, and well I can't talk about American Idol for the next nine months (well I can, but no one would listen).

That being said, here are my initial impressions of The Amazing Race, the various participants and random thoughts. This won't have any cohesiveness to it, so I hope you're not looking for an organized recap.

- First thing I notice about the models is when one of them says "Thank God we're good looking." Not necessarily getting off on the right foot with me, and I didn't think they were all that in the first place.

- Go fat guys! I always like a good underdog (this is in my notes, I forget who said "we're just a coupla fat guys" either the clowns or the ATC's)

- virgins and dating for 12 years. Yea, and I'm Ruben Studdard.

- father/son team, they look like complete opposites, but seem to mesh well together. I can relate to that because my Dad and I are complete opposites. I always like watching parent/child interactions, so I am looking forward to seeing them compete.

- Dave and Jeff, for being so confident in their own abilities they sure don't back it up performance wise. Of course, it's only one show, but I wasn't impressed. They need to make a move next show.

- Amanda & Chris - hey look, it's Pippi Longstockings meets Richard Pryor. Volatile couple, but they are competitive, athletic, energetic and seem to push each other on despite the verbal assaults. I can see them continuing on for a while.

- and the artists formerly known as the Insane Clown Posse. Ever since "It" I've hated clowns. These guys might change my impression. Aloof, light hearted and fun, I found myself rooting for them.

- Russell & Cindy. I really like these two. They seem confident in a quiet kind of way, but I feel for Cindy. It's obvious he's kind of stringing her along, and she is madly in love with him. Maybe this trip will create some sparks, or help her see the light.

- the NFL wives. I don't really want to see Ray Buchanan in a cheerleader skirt, but if it'll help TAR's ratings, let's see it!

- Never seen so much running for no reason in my entire life. I wonder what the other people at the airports, bus stations and miscellaneous places the contestants go off to think of all this mad rushing, screaming. Has anyone ever tried the calm, rational approach? Walk, take your time, and think things out? I would think it might work better rather than rushing without much thought about what you are doing.

- I kept thinking someone was going to get pulled over for speeding. Has that ever happened before?

- Do they get maps initially? Because getting to LAX ain't a cup of tea.

- I said this in the spoiler thread, and it has to do with thinking things out as mentioned above - but why wasn't anyone smart enough to stop at the first available payphone, call the airlines, find out which one arrives in Milan first and book that flight. I know that's what I would have done - then you can take your time getting to the airport.

- the models spent way too much time trying to fix that door. Lesson to be learned, put your suitcases in the back seat.

- Oh, I saw some backstabbing. The whole debacle at the airport was good, mean fun!

- Debra & Steve - so sweet, calm and in love, but I knew they were done for when they chose the Rescue option. Him crying in the hotel room and the way they handled their exit with such passion for one another was touching.

- Did the NFL wives have some crappy luck or what? But it was nice of Josh to pay them back a little with the last ticket to the 2nd bus. Then they blow that by using the fast forward (well at least in my novice view of how I would approach this show it is) unnecessarily.

- Is the host from Boston? I swear he said "Amander" and "Monicer" - oh and I know you all love him, but why? He doesn't do much except narrate.

- Finally some brains, and by one of the least likely couples Amanda and Chris, when they pass on the 4 o'clock shuttle to go find an earlier one. The only couple that showed the capabilities of doing so. That and they were able to get over their fear of heights without any troubles. I might not like them a lot, but I think they are going to do well.

- OK, explain to me how being nice to other people pays off in this competition? I don't understand why people would tell someone where the bus pass is. Make them look for it, maybe they'll be late. The only way I could see this being good strategy is if it is a couple that you think is weak and you want them to move with you.

- I felt bad for the bum knee on the ATC's, but they showed fight and perseverance. I wonder how long they can hold up in physical challenges though.

- Tian & Jaree. Ah, let this be a lesson for all you smokers out there.

- I like the way the show keeps moving. It is very fast paced, they build suspense well, kinda leave you hanging at the end wondering who the last team is walking around the corner. I found it a little unnecessary showing so much detail on the teams that were in the first two buses. We knew they were going to make it with the two hour head start. I suppose that'll change though as fewer teams exist.

- I wish they had some kind of leaderboard that flashed up on the screen every ten minutes or so, showing the overall standings and by how much they are ahead. Sure, I know the overall order at the end of the show, but how much are the first three ahead of the fourth place team, so on and so on. Knowing if your favorite team only has a little or a lot of time to make up would be nice.

- All in all, I enjoyed it though, and I can see why so many of you love it. I'll definitely watch a few more episodes, and unless something drastic happens, will watch it in it's entirety.

(yea, I talk a lot, get used to it)
    I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star in somebody else's eyes... but why... why... why can't it be me?

Ok I liked it, but it was hard to keep track of everyone. Glad they kept flashing the names and tag lines (but they need to lose the virgin tagline, I just don't care)

Phil is pretty sexy.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

Phil's from New Zealand. I noticed the Monicer and Amander, but then later he said them correctly.

Each leg, they may not start with any maps. If they acquire them during the leg, they lose them at the pit stop. The smart racer would have found a payphone and called the airport to get directions and confirm ticket purchases.

It gets a little less manic when 3 or 4 teams have been eliminated. It's good they made this a 90-minute episode, because it's REALLY hard to squeeze that into 60 minutes.

They are really good about telling you the exact times of departure at the beginning of each leg of the race, so you can get a feel for how everyone stands then. Of course, it usually doesn't matter all that much, because there is almost always an airplane, train, bus, museum, or landmark that causes the teams to bunch up again. The equalizers in this show constantly make it anyone's race.
    To be a star: you must shine your own light; follow your own path; and don't be afraid of the darkness, for that's where stars shine brightest.

Watch The Amazing Race 4 on CBS Thursdays @ 8:00!!!

Fade to black
    Cool - I'll guess my second episode will help me get more of a feel for it.

And, of course, talking about it with ya'll makes it even better.
    I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star in somebody else's eyes... but why... why... why can't it be me?

FORT Fogey

Re: First perceptions of TAR

Originally posted by hazyshadeof
    OK, explain to me how being nice to other people pays off in this competition? I don't understand why people would tell someone where the bus pass is. Make them look for it, maybe they'll be late. The only way I could see this being good strategy is if it is a couple that you think is weak and you want them to move with you.
    Well, four teams will get on each bus regardless. So, telling them how to get on the second bus didn't hurt Steve and Josh any, because they were on the first bus and were already in. Josh both ensured that the models who he didn't like would be in the last group and likely to be eliminated and that the NFL wives would not hold a grudge against him for screwing them over about the flight. Thus, he ensured a good relationship with another team and didn't hurt his position in the race one iota. I think it was a very smart move.

Re: First perceptions of TAR

Originally posted by hazyshadeof
    - I said this in the spoiler thread, and it has to do with thinking things out as mentioned above - but why wasn't anyone smart enough to stop at the first available payphone, call the airlines, find out which one arrives in Milan first and book that flight. I know that's what I would have done - then you can take your time getting to the airport.
    People have done that in the other shows. But you're taking a chance, i.e. while you're on hold, you could be travelling to the airport, and you could find out that the flight you want would have been possible if you'd only left for the airport when everyone else did, and now you can't make it in time.

They can't have their own cell phones.
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

LG.
    right shazzer, but I do remember other teams asking local folks if they can borrow their cell phones to call the airlines. I remember Blake and Paige calling from a cab once, using the cabbie's phone.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

Metallica Fanatic breathless4975's Avatar
    We never really know which group will make it by knowing which bus or plane, etc. they're on because so many things can happen to them on any lap of the race. People can be in the first or second group and still lose by making stupid mistakes. One wrong move by anyone and things can change very quickly.
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. - Albert Schweitzer

The most thoroughly wasted of all days is that on which one has not laughed.

If I accept the sunshine and warmth, then I must also accept the thunder and lightening.

Originally posted by lurkinggirl
    right shazzer, but I do remember other teams asking local folks if they can borrow their cell phones to call the airlines. I remember Blake and Paige calling from a cab once, using the cabbie's phone.
    Yeah, I remember Rob and Brennan (TAR1) paid that woman $300 to take her cell phone.
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast