+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What has to happen to make TAR a ratings hit?

What has to happen to make TAR a ratings hit?

What can CBS do to make TAR a ratings hit? Us TAR fans (and all tv critics) know that the show is fantastic, a jewel, but how do they lure new fans? Is there just too much reality tv out there competing with this show?

And TAR newbies, what would make you watch this show? (Besides all our cajoling, telling you that you MUST see it).

John posted something about how to change the format of the show to draw more viewers, but what can they do to it now with itís current format, for TAR 4, to make people watch?

I think having it in Survivorís slot against reruns of Friends is a big help. I personally think they need to air more commercials for the show. I still remember being bombarded during the summer of 2000 with commercials for the very first Survivor. I would never have tuned in if A. there had been anything else to watch the night I tuned in, and B. if they hadnít reminded me it was on about 50 billion times via advertising. That combined with the fact that 3 friends coincidentally also watched it for the first time on the same exact night I did.

What else can CBS do to make TAR a hit?
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

I think the better time slot will help, along with it being summer. I haven't read my article I wrote before TAR3 in a long time, I might have to check it out to see what I still agree with.

I honestly don't know what they could do other than advertise. I may have to go re-read Johns article too.
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

I've always though that they needed to begin running it following Survivor for at least a bit of an overlap of their prospective runs.

Many, many survivor fans would convert to TAR fans if they just saw the show.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

I thought about that too Bill, but I don't think CBS would ever mess with CSI and WOAT. Thursdays have been must see TV at CBS since this line up started. They would be to afraid to move anything.
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

The question is, is Survivor helping CSI, or is it the other way around? And which of those shows would you keep to complement TAR?

Originally posted by John
    The question is, is Survivor helping CSI, or is it the other way around? And which of those shows would you keep to complement TAR?
    I think Survivor helped CSI in the beginning, but then it got legs of it's own and doesn't need Survivor. Now that Survivor is in season 18, it's probably being helped a bit by CSI.

The chicken and the egg.

I would keep both shows, but I would line it up thusly: Survivor, followed by TAR, followed by CSI (and not worry about Without a Trace). Or is two hours too much reality for some people?
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

FORT Fogey
    But maybe for the premier one season, they could have it follow Survivor and preempt CSI for one week. Then, once people see the premier and get hooked, they can start watching on the regular night. I honestly believe that putting it over the Summer will be really beneficial for getting viewers, because barely anything new comes on over the Summers - except for Big Brother, of course!!

Hmmm... get Clay fans hooked on it! They'll recruit people to watch like crazy! Just kidding!
    To be a star: you must shine your own light; follow your own path; and don't be afraid of the darkness, for that's where stars shine brightest.

Watch The Amazing Race 4 on CBS Thursdays @ 8:00!!!

If they wanted to draw viewers, they should have Team Ruben and Clay.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast