+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What has to happen to make TAR a ratings hit?

Fade to black
    I think word of mouth will definitely help, it got me and my brother watching, and I've talked a few others into watching. Of course, moving into Thursday night time slot isn't a bad thing either. I'll be interested to see how the first show fared.
    I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star in somebody else's eyes... but why... why... why can't it be me?

I had to watch it... I'm in Reality TV withdrawl and needed a fix.. luckily, I ended up enjoying it as much as I had hoped.

My boyfriend and his brother ended up watching it with me and my boyfriend said later that he prefers that to American Idol (which I made him watch) and even Survivor (also made him watch)

I thought that was a ringing endorsement!
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

Originally posted by cali
    What it needs is for all of us to have Neilson Boxes

My boyfriend and his brother ended up watching it with me and my boyfriend said later that he prefers that to American Idol (which I made him watch) and even Survivor (also made him watch)
    LOL - I absolutely agree! Years ago, I actually knew someone with a Nielsen box and I sure wish he still had it!

As for making TAR a hit, I completely agree that more promotion, TV ads especially, are needed. I can count on 1 hand the number of CBS ads I saw before the premiere, and I have been actively seeking them! I mean, we are bombarded to death with Survivor and BB ads - I just do not understand why they don't give TAR the same consideration??

Also, I agree with everyone that starting this new season in the summer is a BIG plus. Summer starts are what helped Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?, Survivor and (unfortunately) Fear Factor catch fire. (I remember watching both Survivor and Millionaire primarily because there was nothing else on.) PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let that happen to TAR this summer. (The initial overnight ratings are encouraging - they show TAR came in a close second to Friends last night.)

Finally, I have tried to get as many people as I can to watch this show and hopefully all the other fanatics are doing the same. Similar to MF's story above, I badgered my best friend into watching and she made her husband watch with her last night, so hopefully they are both hooked now (as they are with AI).

I ....LOVE.... THIS....SHOW!

PS - Off the subject for Miss F - since the actual London is my absolute favorite city, out of curiousity, where is your "other London?"
    It's over for this season but PLEASE give us more of
    THE AMAZING RACE!!!
    Please Please Please CBS - give us TAR5!!!!!!!
    I The Amazing R A C E !

FORT Fogey
    Originally posted by TARmaniac
    Summer starts are what helped Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?, Survivor and (unfortunately) Fear Factor catch fire. (I remember watching both Survivor and Millionaire primarily because there was nothing else on.)
    Just out of curiosity, what do you have against Fear Factor? I watch it on occasion and it's good entertainment, in my opinion.

The "other London" is in Ontario, halfway between Toronto and Detroit.

FORT Fogey

Entertainment Weekly helps

The way I discovered TAR 1 was through reading about it in Entertainment Weekly.

They have consistently lauded this show as being the very best in its genre.

In fact, Ken Tucker has written about it frequently and we can trust him because he thinks that "The Simpsons" is the best show of all time. A man with excellent taste!

In this week's EW under the "What to Watch" section, they don't just give TAR a box, but a little write-up and it's graded: A

Here is the write-up:
    THE AMAZING RACE 4 (CBS)
    8-9:30PM
    ''Survivor'''s masterful last season notwithstanding, ''The Amazing Race'' has been TV's most consistently excellent reality series. And it's all here for round 4 -- the frantic sprinting through airports, the spectacular miscalculations, the...circus clowns? Yes, circus clowns. They're just one of the teams competing, along with two models (below), a married gay couple, and a pair of virgins who have been dating for 12 years. (12 years!) The duos have barely left the starting point of Dodger Stadium when the backstabbing, bad directions, and vehicle breakdowns begin. The first episode also sets some sort of record for most instances of people literally falling on their faces. Like we said, excellent. A

Tian dragging Jaree

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    Freaking CBS needs to get off their butts and promote this show, that's what needs to happen.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

Originally posted by AnnaRHR
    Just out of curiosity, what do you have against Fear Factor? I watch it on occasion and it's good entertainment, in my opinion.

IMO, it's just the bottom of the barrel for reality shows. Maybe it's because the tasks aren't all that skill intensive or require any intelligence. Maybe it's because I've watched it a few times and each time, the contestants have been overtly annoying. Or maybe it's because Joe Rogan, who I really loved on "NewsRadio," grates on my nerves. My brother really loves it, too and insists I should just give it another chance. Who knows? Perhaps I should try it again...

:
    THE AMAZING RACE!!!
    I The Amazing R A C E !

Re: Entertainment Weekly helps

Originally posted by CaliGirl
    The way I discovered TAR 1 was through reading about it in Entertainment Weekly.

They have consistently lauded this show as being the very best in its genre.

In fact, Ken Tucker has written about it frequently and we can trust him because he thinks that "The Simpsons" is the best show of all time. A man with excellent taste!

Yes, EW does trumpet the cause, as have other noted publications including USA Today and my personal favorite publication, TV Guide. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have helped much. (Maybe TV Guide show make the show a candidate for its annual "Best Shows You're Not Watching" campaign - that notoriety certainly helped 7th Heaven and Party of Five!)

PS Thanks John, for the info on 'the other London' - I figured it was probably London, ON
    THE AMAZING RACE!!!
    I The Amazing R A C E !

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    I have to agree on FF. I see no use for the show and it annoys me when they have to eat something gross....it's nasty to eat worms, but I don't see that as a fear.

But, BOT (back on topic ) I am really annoyed at these programming people that let quality shows like TAR, Combat Missions, EcoChallenge hang in the wind. Hell, that crap show Mr. Personality got a lot of promo, what is wrong with these people?
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast