+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do SURVIVOR tactics work on TAR?

Do SURVIVOR tactics work on TAR?

Do Survivor tactics work on TAR? (i.e. alliances etc.)

Do Survivor tactics work? Should they use them? Would you use them if you were in the race? Does our virtual team use them?

I personally think itís foolish to try to form alliances with competing teams when this race is all about individual teams looking out for themselves and getting as big a lead as possible. But plenty of people started doing this in the 2nd TAR and on from there. Tara & Wil teamed up with the two Boston boys etc., and they got far, but EVERYONE alligned and plotted against the twins in TAR3, and they were all eliminated, with the twins placing 4th overall. Ken and Gerard were the only team to work with them.

Thoughts?
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

I think alliances can work for certain tasks or for one leg at a time. I don't think I would make any alliances because they could wind up holding you back. I would definately be nice to other teams, and help them if it wouldn't cost my team time, but alliances, in my opinion aren't a good idea on TAR.
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

FORT Fogey
    I don't think scheming or manipulating people is effective, although I think it is good to form alliances toward the beginning, for help with directions, clues, etc., although later in the game it's probably better to go it alone. Also, I think relationships with the other teams are important, in that being nice to the other teams, as long as it isn't to your own detriment (such as Reichen and Chip sharing their room with Debra and Steve) can be very beneficial in the long run. For instance, if a team makes a huge mistake that could cost them the game, if teams like them, they will be more likely to help them out. A big example is at the end of TAR2 when Tara and Wil lost their clue and nobody would help them out, yet when a similar mistake happened to John Vito and Jill, people were ready to help them out...

It's a requirement to go it alone late in the game. I agree, though, that maintaining a good working relationship with everyone in the game can be helpful. If you step on toes, you're likely to get repaid with unkindness later in the game when you could really use a boost.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

FORT Fogey

Are you following me?

Alliances, as such, would only work on a short-term basis. There is already an alliance of two in place and that's the team. This is a far more competitive game and a race right from the beginning. You rely on each other and not anyone else to get to your next destination.

If an alliance is formed under any circumstances, resentment often sets in as one team rides on another one's coattails.

This is what makes TAR so different and unique. There is not the "camping" aspect of Survivor where you form a society in one location. As a team on TAR you have to move around and move fast. Alliances would only hinder you and slow you down.

LG.
    in past seasons some teams have worked together for mutual benefit, in a "pooling their brainpower and only having to spend precious funds on one decent map" way. Derek and Drew were with Oh Brothers Ken and Gerard for a great deal of the last season, not to mention the uneasy alliance of Chris and Alex with Wil and Tara on TAR 2. As long as people know that they'll sprint past each other in the end, I think that can work to the teams' mutual benefit. Last year the "Get the Twins" alliance of 4 teams realized that was just too damn many people to be able to travel efficiently, but 2 teams can work together for at least part of the race. Some teams have done well enough as "lone wolves" with Teri and Ian from TAR 3 and the Guidos from TAR 1 as notable examples of teams that didn't "collaborate" with other teams and were still in it to the finale. To win though, you need to be able to pull away from your "alliance" at the end.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

K&G and D&D last season had the perfect alliance. They both said it was an alliance of convenience, and that they'd agreed to split up when it was beneficial to do so. Too many people who think "alliance" have the wrong idea about it, and it comes back to bite them.

FORT Newbie

alliances--it depends ...

I think that an alliance sort of undermines the teammates' trust in one another. If you form an alliance with another team and the relationship with your teammate is not that good to start with (like Tara & Will) and you end up trusting the other teams more, you're in bad shape. Whatever decisions you make are final, and you can't blame or whine to your teammate "See, I told you! We should have shared the cab" or " Their map is better, LISTEN to them" or that kind of stuff. That only hurts the team.

Anyways, a shout-out to John Vito & Jill , Team Cha-Cha-Cha and the Grannies!

Leo
    Premium Member
    Can't really say anything that wasn't said before. You can't be an idiot who doesn't have the faintest idea where you are going and play follow-the-leader on this show (Damon and Andre notwithstanding). You win or lose based largely on the strength of your own effort, not because of your skill at manipulating people.

Re: alliances--it depends ...

Originally posted by Rochacha!
    Whatever decisions you make are final, and you can't blame or whine to your teammate "See, I told you! We should have shared the cab" or " Their map is better, LISTEN to them" or that kind of stuff. That only hurts the team.
    Hmmmm, wonder who you're talking about here?
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast