+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast
Like Tree146Likes

Thread: 3/10 Amazing Race 22 Episode 4 ""West Coast Spoilers""

To the Point

Re: 3/10 Amazing Race 22 Episode 4 ""West Coast Spoilers""

Connor did what most people would do. These contestants all try to see what the others are doing. Yes he asked, yes she said no, but I have no problem with his still trying to see what it looked like. He didn't tackle her, he just continued to try to see. They do this in task all the time. Anytime that a task involves a visual measure of rightness they are looking at each others to get a measure of whether they are doing it correctly. This isn't some lone incident, this is pretty common in this game. Most of the time they don't ask, they simply try to see. The only difference this time was he asked her to willingly give him a good look at her board. Why the heck would he agree to allow her to come in first when he and his dad could be taken out of the game at any time due to the injury? I just don't see it as being any different than any number of other times.

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrant View Post
    Connor singlehandedly shot himself and his father to the top of the list of people me and my best friend want to see eliminated, with what he did to Winnie. He wanted her to help him but he refused to help her back and then peeked at her board. He was basically saying "I want you to help me so I can push you and step over you... oh, you won't help me then? Tough break, I saw what you had and took advantage!"

And I thought the race had a rule that in tasks regarding seeking specific things or doing puzzles, you're not allowed to look at what other teams are doing or their progress unless they allow you to! Why is it that Connor can get away with peeking at Winnie's chosen board without her consent, but in so many seasons we've seen teams working on puzzles and stuff in the same area. Like for example, the Greek statue building Roadblock in leg 4 of season 9, they were all doing it in the same area but they were not allowed to watch their competitors' progress. So, again, why is Connor allowed to get away with this? I just want them out already, they lost all my good will.
    I think the irony of this is that many people seemed to root for the brothers who told the Globetrotters that they'd help but changed their mind and reneged on the deal was "good game play" but this is supposedly so wrong.

To me, when you AGREE on something then change your mind, such as the example above, that is more deceitful. You cannot say that Connor agreed then reneged on the deal and raced to become first.

Rules are that unless specifically mentioned you can't look or whatnot that anything is fair game right now. And they always have at least one person clearly mention this in the show. This game like any other isn't perfect, and maybe they will start adding this as a rule.

Connor and the Winnie's choices were in the heat of the moment, and both in their own way did wrong if you'd like to observe it as such. She shouldn't have presumed that if Connor saw the clue that she'd get first place. She should've just said no, flipped the board to where the side without the clue was between her and Connor (it was a long board too - so it wasn't like he'd be able to go around and see it) and move on.

His was doing the bob and weave to see what the clue was, which he did find enough of to find the right one. When you're not careful and don't hide something if you want to be first, you do get what happened here.

And finally - we can nitpick this one to death, but the point is the only time this could determine something in the worst way is the last leg of the race, and they do pretty much whatever they can to ensure that there is no way to look at the other team's attempts to get a challenge right to race to the finish line.
    march likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrant View Post
    Connor singlehandedly shot himself and his father to the top of the list of people me and my best friend want to see eliminated, with what he did to Winnie. He wanted her to help him but he refused to help her back and then peeked at her board. He was basically saying "I want you to help me so I can push you and step over you... oh, you won't help me then? Tough break, I saw what you had and took advantage!"
    I guess we really all can watch the same show and all see it differently. I didn't see where Connor was basically saying this at all. He asked her what the picture was and she put a condition on telling him, which he refused. As she is standing there trying to figure out what to do next and he is dancing around her trying to get a better look at the picture she could have hidden the picture better from him or told him to stop as I don't see how she didn't know what he was trying to do, he was pretty obvious about what he was doing and really no guarantee that he was going to get a good enough look to know which one it was. If he had grabbed her board from her and looked at the picture that would have been different, but trying to sneak a peek at what others have or are doing happens every season.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

. . . and really no guarantee that he was going to get a good enough look to know which one it was . . .
    Or if she had it RIGHT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    I think the irony of this is that many people seemed to root for the brothers who told the Globetrotters that they'd help but changed their mind and reneged on the deal was "good game play" but this is supposedly so wrong.

To me, when you AGREE on something then change your mind, such as the example above, that is more deceitful. You cannot say that Connor agreed then reneged on the deal and raced to become first.

Rules are that unless specifically mentioned you can't look or whatnot that anything is fair game right now. And they always have at least one person clearly mention this in the show. This game like any other isn't perfect, and maybe they will start adding this as a rule.

Or it's not as bad as teams sharing information in order to gang up on another team and try to eliminate them. Yes, I am still sore about the Cowboys. I almost stopped watching this show because I thought that was despicable.

Connor and the Winnie's choices were in the heat of the moment, and both in their own way did wrong if you'd like to observe it as such. She shouldn't have presumed that if Connor saw the clue that she'd get first place. She should've just said no, flipped the board to where the side without the clue was between her and Connor (it was a long board too - so it wasn't like he'd be able to go around and see it) and move on.

His was doing the bob and weave to see what the clue was, which he did find enough of to find the right one. When you're not careful and don't hide something if you want to be first, you do get what happened here.

That's why I don't hold it against Connor. He and Winnie both made a mistake, so they're even. I remember being irritated and thinking "WTH?" when Winnie demanded that she be allowed to win as the "price" for helping Connor. That sounded pretty arrogant to me.

I also look for patterns. It's a very stressful race, so I tend to forgive contestants breaking down in tears, arguing, or even doing something slightly dodgy like the above. However, I only do that once. If a contestant continues to be whiny, obnoxious, or show a total lack of character then they go on my "eliminate" list.
    march likes this.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    Or it's not as bad as teams sharing information in order to gang up on another team and try to eliminate them. Yes, I am still sore about the Cowboys. I almost stopped watching this show because I thought that was despicable. :
    The Cowboys remain my bitter pill in this game, too.
    march likes this.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred
    That's why I don't hold it against Connor. He and Winnie both made a mistake, so they're even. I remember being irritated and thinking "WTH?" when Winnie demanded that she be allowed to win as the "price" for helping Connor. That sounded pretty arrogant to me.
    I don't understand this. So, if she helped him, she should also just let him win? What the heck? She knew what the answer was, (she recognized the person), and he didn't. By helping him, she would be really risking her chance at winning the leg and the prize that goes with it. If he hadn't have peeked, it may have taken him a lot longer to get the answer, possibly dropping him way down on the list of people on the mat. She wanted some return on help that she would be GIVING him. That is completely reasonable, I think.

I understand that people like Dave and Conner, but to me, I've seen people get annoyed when teams that help each other and heard cries of "they should do the task themselves!". Conner didn't do the task himself. He had no idea what the answer was, and certainly Winnie seemed confident of her board when he asked her for help. He knew peeking at her board was more likely to be the right answer than the "nothing" he had in his brain. It's not a risk for him to steal her answer when he has no clue in the first place. It was the best choice for him, and a great chance it was right... if cheating is a good choice. As I've said before, it's a matter of opinion. But I believe you should have to do the task yourself.

ESPECIALLY... since he cheated to win the leg, not to avoid elimination. Somehow it makes it more sleazy to me. She could have told him, and he could have taken second place, and been safe. That really bothers me. She deserved the win there.
    Last edited by spockwhat; 03-13-2013 at 09:15 AM.
    TripleGemini likes this.

To the Point

If it isn't against the rules then it can be argued that it isn't actually cheating. I had no problem with his asking, I had no problem with her trying to bargain, I had no problem with him refusing her offer, I had no problem with him looking anyway. It's a game. There obviously are no rules in place that would forbid such actions and as I pointed out in a previous post, "looking" happens all the time in other tasks and this was just one more. It's all part of the game. There are actions that I would find offensive/have found offensive, but this rates way, way down at the bottom of that totem pole.
    march, Florimel and AZChristian like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    Or it's not as bad as teams sharing information in order to gang up on another team and try to eliminate them. Yes, I am still sore about the Cowboys. I almost stopped watching this show because I thought that was despicable.
    Aaahhhhh the Cowboys - they will always be one of my favs.
    Last edited by Arielflies; 03-13-2013 at 11:11 PM.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Ok, it's not cheating, it's kind of sleazy though. And he didn't win a friend in Winnie, I'm sure.

But I'm starting to feel like we're over analyzing the crap out of it. We all certainly have different opinions!

+ Reply to Thread