• 1 Post By Fanny Mare
  • 1 Post By JohnnyK
  • 5 Post By NCLurker

Thread: David & Connor - TAR 22

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Bouncing Balls Champion

David & Connor - TAR 22

Name: David OíLeary

Hometown: Salt Lake City

Connection to your teammate: Father (both David and his son are cancer survivors)

Current occupation: Investment Properties

Describe what you do: I purchase and operate investment properties around the United States. As the father of a large family, I work hard, play hard and view my job as a means to an end and not the end itself.

3 words to describe you: Active, enthusiastic and strong-willed.

Favorite hobbies: Cycling, fly fishing and snow skiing.

What is the accomplishment you are most proud of? Being the father of five great kids and the grandfather of six even greater grandkids!

What famous person reminds you of yourself? People have told me I look like Steve Martin but personally I donít remind myself of anyone.

What scares you most about traveling? The inability to communicate in different languages.

What excites you most about traveling? New cultures, places and things to see!

Biggest challenge you and your teammate will face on The Race together: We are both stubborn and think weíre right most of the time (Iím right all the time!)

Pet peeve about your teammate: Connor is messy and doesnít put things away.

What country and place would you most like to visit and why? Thailand. I would like to experience culture truly foreign to me. I would love to experience the diversity of terrain, food, language, culture and activities.

What do you hope to accomplish by running The Race (other than winning one million bucks)? I hope to gain an unforgettable experience with my son and to celebrate the health that we both now enjoy! Also, my son has wanted to do this for years and he wants to earn the money.

Name: Connor OíLeary

Hometown: Salt Lake City

Connection to your teammate: Son (both Connor and his father are cancer survivors)

Current occupation: Professional Cyclist

Describe what you do: I race bikes professionally for a Pro-Continental team Bontrager/LIVESTRONG. I also race for the Under 23 USA National Team.

3 words to describe you: Funny, life-loving and determined.

Favorite hobbies: Cycling, fishing and skiing.

What is the accomplishment you are most proud of? Conquering Cancer.

What famous person reminds you of yourself? Rob Dyrdek

What famous person reminds you of your teammate? Steve Martin

What scares you most about traveling? The fear of losing a loved one while gone.

What excites you most about traveling? Seeing new places, experiencing new cultures, and breathing in the air of adventure.

Biggest challenge you and your teammate will face on The Race together: We are both hard headed, we both think we are right much of the time, so working on humbling ourselves and working more as one.

Pet peeve about your teammate: This sounds ridiculous, but how he chews his food! He chews his food so loud and for so long. I canít even believe Iím putting that down, but it pisses me off so bad. I canít even explain it. It seems to just be him that does it.

What country and place would you most like to visit and why? India or China. The culture and the diversity intrigue me.

What do you hope to accomplish by running The Race (other than winning one million bucks)? An incredible experience with my father, and to show that anything is possible. Two cancer survivors can come back from incredible odds and do hard things.

The Amazing Race Cast: David & Connor

Re: David & Connor - TAR 22

Hometown racers. Hopefully I can root for them. I like the bios but I know that usually doesn't translate well to the race.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

From their bios, I like this team. I hope the conversation doesn't focus on Lance Armstrong because of the cycling and his connection to Livestrong.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

And the testicular cancer. So far, not one word which is good.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I would hope they produce any Armstrong Adulation right out of the show.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

I don't like the dad's me, me, me about his foot.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

Quote Originally Posted by tbamom View Post
    I don't like the dad's me, me, me about his foot.
    I think he's doing this for his son. He wanted to have an adventure with him .Since they both had cancer, and beat it up until now. I really want them to enjoy this.
    tarfan77 likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Bouncing Balls Champion

I generally root against the overly OTT forced hero/fan favorites.
    Shoepie likes this.

To the Point

I get what you are saying JohnnyK, I just don't see them as OTT. Yes the whole cancer survivor thing has been made a talking point, how could it not, but his injury is real and he isn't trying to keep going for good TV, he is doing it because he doesn't want the adventure for he and his son to end. Also, I think we often blame the people who have the more sensational back story for all that the producers do to exploit said stories. Yes, they have brought it up, but they lived it and I am sure it is often in the forefront of their minds how blessed they are to be where they are right now. I think we often have a hard time separating the production hype from the competitors themselves.
    holly71, Florimel, GabbyG and 2 others like this.

I also have to separate the Armstrong stuff from their story since when I see the yellow Livestrong I get a bit of acid reflux, so the testicular cancer + professional cyclist = entitlement in my mind and it has nothing necessarily to do with them as people just prejudice that I need to deal with.

+ Reply to Thread