Closed Thread
Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920212223 LastLast
Like Tree386Likes

Thread: 12/9 TAR 21 FINALE! **West Coast Spoilers**

Re: 12/9 TAR 21 FINALE! **West Coast Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by I'm here View Post
    Absolutely... Positively... WITHOUT A DOUBT.... the most disappointing finish!!!!!

I was screaming at my TV...... WHY are all these teams playing WITH each other. Helping each other???? Its a game that only ONE team will win.

I can't believe it... that a team that came in last almost every race... bad attitude... always giving up... unless another team helped... won the game. What a joke!

I just didn't want the twins to win... so that was a positive. WOW... of the entire season and cast... that is the only positive thing I can think of.

Oh and like usual.. Phil looked sweet!
    Same here , looking forward to the next one already . At least survivor has been really good this time
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I was hoping for a win by the Chippendales; I've liked them from the start. I think their problem with the sign is the same kind of problem that had (noticing something) on the first(?) leg and I think it's because they are more linear thinkers. They were looking for the red and yellow indicators and just missed the more abstract thinking clue of putting the words together from that sign. They were enjoyable for me to watch from start to finish. Since they weren't the winners, I'm okay with the Beekmans. If I never see or hear those twins again, it will be way too soon.
    holly71 and NCLurker like this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

1. Wanted the Chippies to win. Darn it! I love those guys....

2. Hated the Twins. Sooooo glad they came in fourth. Couldn't stomach how they called the Beekmans "the gays". I mean, really!!

3. Did the Beekmans "deserve" to win? Probably not, if you take the entire season into consideration. However, they won the leg of the race that counted. Good for them!

4. WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD THREE (sometimes four) TEAMS WORK TOGETHER DURING THIS RACE....ESPECIALLY THROUGHOUT THE FINAL COUPLE OF LEGS?!?!?!? Sooooo dumb!!!

5. My family and I enjoyed this season. Always do!!!

I was pulling for the Chips the entire season because I loved their sunny dispositions, but I always loved the quiet strength of the Beekmans. They never, ever gave up. To grow up knowing you're "different", always feeling like you're being looked down upon because of your sexual orientation is hard enough. Suddenly, they're on the "outside" again knowing that the top alliance is shunning them. There's a stereotype that gay men are effeminate and not "real men" so I don't think many thought they would be able to carry themselves in the physical challenges. Nothing could be further from the truth. They argued and bickered like any other couple would! When you are in a healthy relationship it's not all sunshine and puppies. You can be yourself with that person, whether you're in pain or just feeling frustrated and needing to vent. They were lucky enough to find each other and have had a strong and loving relationship for 14 years. I don't think the occasional bickering made them any less a team, I think it made them more of a team. They are both strong men who proved that you don't have to be the muscled uber-competitive power couple to win this game. If anything, I think that the consistent shunning of this team by the other players brought out the competitive streak in them and they just decided to quietly sneak up on the other teams, race strong to the finish and surprise the crap out of everyone. Way to go guys...

I have to go with the "favorite season in a while" crowd on this one. I really enjoyed it top to bottom. I didn't like the twinnies, but they made for great villains, and as the season went on Jaymes and James' infectious good attitude was just so much fun to watch (even when I was yelling at Jaymes for telling the twinnies not to waste their express pass). The $2 million twist almost meant something, too, so that was interesting. I would have been happy with any of the final 3 winning (though I confess I'd have been a little less happy with Trey & Lexi simply because the edit made it feel so much like they were going to coast in until that last challenge hit).

Quote Originally Posted by Photobabe View Post
    I started rooting for the Beekmans the episode of the double u turn. I remember thinking, at the time of the u turn, "Beekman's, prove them wrong!" For me, their win was a kind of poetic justice.

Actually, I would have also been OK with a win from the Chippies.
    If you think about it, the Chippendales probably sort of signed the money over right there. Neither Ryan & Abbie nor the twinnies were likely to be as good as the Beekmans in the final challenge that there actually WAS (though I suppose they might have expected something more physical) while James was close enough that they could give a "close" edit. So by making the U-Turn to knock R&A out they unknowingly gave the final challenge away (assuming of course that they wouldn't have gotten knocked out in 4th). Oops!
    sparklete likes this.

This is a "Meh" finish for me. On the one hand, I'm glad it wasn't the twins so that's good. On the other hand, I didn't really care one way or the other for Josh and Brent so I'm not jumping for joy that they won.

One thing I do hope for though, is the end to all this group crap. RUN THE RACE YOURSELVES!! I think if Josh and Brent, knowing French, had taken off themselves and done their own thing in France, without deciding to "follow the pack" or work with Texas and the Chippies, I would have really respected that. Stop helping each other, stop waiting for each other, stop it!! I don't like it when teams are mean to other teams, but I also find it boring and stupid when teams stick together like glue.
    Minney likes this.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    I think sometimes people say "lifestyle choice" because they think it's somehow more polite than "sexual orientation." Of course, it's not a choice any more than heterosexuality is a choice. But hey, at least he's making some progress.

If you google Beekman Boys, you'll find their website, which has an on-line store. They make a bunch of products from their goats' milk, including soap. Cheese too, I think, if I remember correctly. Certainly you can make goats milk cheese, so it would make sense that they'd use it for that too.

Hadn't thought of the UNICEF boxes, but yeah, it's funny that none of them made that connection. I'm not sure why I recognized it, but I certainly knew immediately what it was. I was kind of befuddled by one of the Beekmans making the comment that they'd gone past the UN building for twenty some years, always thought it was beautiful, and was thrilled to finally be inside. Doesn't the UN have some kind of tourists' tour like other governmental sites? You'd think they'd want to educate the public about what they do.
    To make cheese (aka food) you need to have a super kitchen (my cousin makes her soap in her regular kitchen, which would never pass a government test for purity! [nor more would mine!]), so that's a serious investment--so they are not running some kind of mom and pop operation there.
    The UN certainly had those kinds of tours when I was a kid...maybe it's changed since 9/11, but it's hard to believe there isn't some kind of tour even now. I bet they just never tried to go in.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    To make cheese (aka food) you need to have a super kitchen (my cousin makes her soap in her regular kitchen, which would never pass a government test for purity! [nor more would mine!]), so that's a serious investment--so they are not running some kind of mom and pop operation there.
    The UN certainly had those kinds of tours when I was a kid...maybe it's changed since 9/11, but it's hard to believe there isn't some kind of tour even now. I bet they just never tried to go in.
    You know, thinking back to last night, I could have sworn I saw some kind of sign referencing tours when they were at the UN. Maybe it's one of those "if you live there, you just don't do that" kind of things. I know I finally went to a local laser light show that's held every night here in the summer and is free this past summer, because someone who was visiting me wanted to see it. If you're local, you just think of it as something more for the tourists.

I don't know if the Beekmans make the cheese in their own kitchen or if it's processed elsewhere, but they do have a cheese made with their goats' milk. I went back to their website and checked. They also keep bees and make flavored honeys, including a rosemary honey that sounded good to me, but then I'm very fond of rosemary, and I'd never thought of putting it with honey.

They also had photos of their kids (by which I mean their baby goats, not actual children) on their website, and they were very cute.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by CookieJ View Post
    I was pulling for the Chips the entire season because I loved their sunny dispositions, but I always loved the quiet strength of the Beekmans. They never, ever gave up. To grow up knowing you're "different", always feeling like you're being looked down upon because of your sexual orientation is hard enough. Suddenly, they're on the "outside" again knowing that the top alliance is shunning them. There's a stereotype that gay men are effeminate and not "real men" so I don't think many thought they would be able to carry themselves in the physical challenges. Nothing could be further from the truth. They argued and bickered like any other couple would! When you are in a healthy relationship it's not all sunshine and puppies. You can be yourself with that person, whether you're in pain or just feeling frustrated and needing to vent. They were lucky enough to find each other and have had a strong and loving relationship for 14 years. I don't think the occasional bickering made them any less a team, I think it made them more of a team. They are both strong men who proved that you don't have to be the muscled uber-competitive power couple to win this game. If anything, I think that the consistent shunning of this team by the other players brought out the competitive streak in them and they just decided to quietly sneak up on the other teams, race strong to the finish and surprise the crap out of everyone. Way to go guys...

I was also bothered by the notion that they weren't a strong team, because they weren't physically strong. Not all of the challenges in any season have been just about physical strength, and when they had a challenge that was more logic-based, they were very good at it. The fact that they got discouraged didn't especially bother me either, because it was never without cause. Good grief, having to do a synchronized swimming challenge when you can barely swim is something about which to get discouraged, for instance. I also thought it was pretty impressive when Josh jumped out of the cab and basically made the traffic part for them. To me, giving up means you just stop and you don't get yourself started again. They always did, even when they were in a situation where it seemed absolutely impossible for them to make up the ground they'd lost. They're also not the first team to win a season without winning a single leg of the race. In fact, the all-star season was won by a team that didn't win a single leg except the last one.

And yeah, I also agree that with the people you're closest to, you can whine and gripe and move on. I was more bothered by the twins putting on a good act at the mat for Phil, blaming only themselves for losing, when throughout the leg, they yapped about other teams, even shrieking at the other teams to leave the Beekmans behind and work with them. Geez, at that point, what were they supposed to do? Wait around for the twins to finish their penalty? Plus, given the fact that the Beekmans spoke French and were willing to share that skill with the other two teams, they would have been stupid to leave them behind. And I thought it was beyond unbelievable that the Twinnies, of all people, would tell the Beekmans to shut up because they couldn't concentrate on the task if they talked. Good heavens, the Twinnies did nothing but yap through every task, clearly considering it even better game play if another competitor were bothered by it. They really had no right to complain when someone else did the same thing to them.
    holly71, march, Rattus and 3 others like this.

I liked this finale, it was great and exciting.

I wasn't able to "connect" I guess you can say, to the racers as much as you guys, because my ballet class was at the same time as TAR, so for me, the finale and the first two episodes were the only ones I was able to watch. So, really I didn't have a favourite team, and I didn't dislike any of the teams because I didn't watch the entire season.

But what I got from the finale, is that the goat farmers were the "underdogs" and the rest of the teams were in a three-way alliance. I like the fact that the goat farmers were able to win when it counted the most. Like all long enduring competitions, it's a marathon not a sprint, sure you can win the first few legs, but it's the last one that's the most important.

That's what I like about TAR it's unpredictable, you always assume that the most consistent and strongest team will take it all (i.e. Snowboarders, Lexie and Trey), but sometimes luck, strategy and momentum come into play, and this finale was an example of it.

I think the word "deserve" is thrown here, other forums and EW articles too much and loosely. I know people had their favourites and wanted them to win, and the other two teams were more consistent, but at the end Josh and Brent won the last leg, the most important one and the one that counted the most so they do deserve it.

The goat farmers win can be summed up by this quote:

"It's not how you start, it's how you finish."

Closed Thread