+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast
Like Tree447Likes

Thread: 11/4 - TAR 21 Show Thread Episode 6 **West Coast Spoilers**

Re: 11/4 - TAR 21 Show Thread Episode 6 **West Coast Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007 View Post
    The girls found money they did not reach into the pockets of these guys and take it from them. Its kind of hard to steal something from someone who left their belongings out for someone to find.
    Yes, they found it on the table. But...they knew who it belonged to and did not return it. That is stealing.
    holly71, JLuvs, Florimel and 9 others like this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

That's how I felt, Arielflies. And I also took Phil's comments at the mat as more sarcastic than not.

Call it stealing, call it finders/keepers, in my eyes it was a really low thing to do and they had to know the two guys would have to beg for cash in a poverty-stricken area. Just look at the begging on the street. And how much did they giggle, I wonder, at the thought of team metal begging for cash?

But here's the thing, the guys still finished higher than the twins. Ha.

Personally, I wouldn't invite that kind of bad karma while running the race.

FORT Fogey

I bet we will see a new rule about stealing and its exact definition, next season.

I bet producers were on their phones discussing how to handle this and could not get a consensus so the plan was to help the rockers get more money quickly and they will deal with the situation at another time. Things move too fast to have an indepth discussion.

They walked to the corner and found English speaking people who gave them the exact amount of cash, swiftly. Not buying that one!

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    I bet we will see a new rule in place about stealing, next season.

I think producers were on their phones discussing how to handle this and could not get a consensus so the plan was to help the rockers get more money quickly.

They walked to the corner and found English speaking people who gave them the exact amount of cash, swiftly. Not buying that one!
    Not buying it either. ( especially seeing the man in a wheelchair begging near them)However, I do believe karma plays a huge role in everything we do, so the twins imho will meet up with karma soon enough
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

The girls found money they did not reach into the pockets of these guys and take it from them. Its kind of hard to steal something from someone who left their belongings out for someone to find.
    I personally don't want to live in a world where morals are defined by the dictionary. The girls knew exactly who's money it was. (Twisted Sisters: "Whose do you think it is, though?" "It has to be the Rockers.") If you know whose money it is, yet you take it regardless, that's stealing by any definition I've ever used.

In my wildest dreams I could not imagine pocketing the money without, at the very least, asking those around me if they'd lost money. I don't consider that a pious position. I consider it basic human courtesy.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

There has been several tv specials regarding"found" money. The question is always would you keep it or take to police/business? It was not long ago there was a Judge Judy segement with the exact same thing as how the twins found the money. It was all caught on tape. A person walked away from the counter, then realized she had forgotten the money, she turned around and it was gone. The tape shows another woman putting it in her purse.The woman who took the money lost the case and had to repay it.
    Personally I see no difference in pocketing someone's passport or money.
    There's no place like home!

To the Point

I will not call it stealing either. They did not pilfer from their bags. The team was Careless with their things. As the kids say in school finders keepers losers weepers. As my mom used to say" you don't lose things you value"
    While I understand the sentiment of what your mother was trying to instill, I don't necessarily agree. Sometimes we are not as aware as we should be and that was the case here. He thought it was secured. Unfortunately, it wasn't. It had nothing to do with not valuing the money. I agree that technically it wasn't stealing, but the spirit of it was stealing. The twins and Lexi & Trey knew it or they wouldn't have been trying to be so secretive about it. They absolutely did not think it was the right thing to do.

I've actually had opportunity to put actions to my words....The day after my DH found out he would be losing his job I found $100 bill laying under the edge of my vehicle as I was getting back in to leave a place of business. I so wanted to keep that money but all I could think about was how the person who lost it must feel. I took it back into the place of business and turned it in. Thirty days later I got a call telling me that no one had come back to claim it and I should come pick it up. I still felt bad for the person who lost that money but I also knew that I had done what I was suppose to do.
    Last edited by NCLurker; 11-05-2012 at 11:52 AM.
    holly71 and Babbred like this.

FORT Fogey

I'm kind of surprised that the fact that they have tape of them taking the money, admitting they knew to whom it belonged, and choosing instead to split it between themselves and another team didn't get them into some legal trouble. Surely Bangladesh has laws about taking money that you know belongs not to you but to someone else. In past seasons, racers who've broken local laws have had to deal with that before continuing on.

And I agree that you can't depend on dictionary definitions to make legal or ethical decisions. The twins admitted they were "splitting the guilt" by splitting the money, so they knew what they were doing was wrong, even according to their own standards. They just decided giving themselves an advantage--or what they thought was an advantage--in the race was more important than doing what was right. Or even what might be smart long term, should he rest of the racers find out what happened, which could easily happen. If they do, there's no way anyone else is going to want to work with them or help them, and they may find out how hard it is to be racing alone. It's clear the rest of the teams aren't necessarily fond of their volume and the constant "TWINNIE!" chants, though most of them are still just joking about it. If they find out that their "gamesmanship" goes beyond that, they may no longer be amused.

The twins should also consider themselves lucky that they seem to be on a season with some of the more level-headed, least volatile teams we've seen, because some past teams would have been actively pulling together an alliance to squeeze them out of the season by now, because they are competitive and they are (or can be) annoying at times. Or just getting right in their faces and letting them have it, big time.
    Babbred likes this.

I have returned money I found too. However it is it the twins or anyone else's responsibility to return something someone was too stupid to secure. It's a game and they should have known better. I have zero issues with them keeping the lost money.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by NCLurker View Post
    While I understand the sentiment of what your mother was trying to instill, I don't necessarily agree. Sometimes we are not as aware as we should be and that was the case here. He thought it was secured. Unfortunately, it wasn't. It had nothing to do with not valuing the money. I agree that technically it wasn't stealing, but the spirit of it was stealing. The twins and Lexi & Trey knew it or they wouldn't have been trying to be so secretive about it. They absolutely did not think it was the right thing to do.

I've actually had opportunity to put actions to my words....The day after my DH found out he would be losing his job I found $100 bill laying under the edge of my vehicle as I was getting back in to leave a place of business. I so wanted to keep that money but all I could think about was how the person who lost it must feel. I took it back into the place of business and turned it in. Thirty days later I got a call telling me that no one had come back to claim it and I should come pick it up. I still felt bad for the person who lost that money but I also knew that I had done what I was suppose to do.
    Exactly. It's not just about what's technically theft or not. It's about doing what a person knows is right, and the two teams who took the money pretty clearly understood that it wasn't right, by even their own standards, regardless of anyone else's. They just opted not to care for the moment. I hope it comes back to haunt them in the future. Better to do what you know is right, and be able to look yourself in the face in the mirror.

ITA that it's also completely possible to lose something even without being careless, simply because you're distracted for a moment or think that you've done something you've forgotten to do. Considering that James just found out his father is terminal, he and his teammate may be more distracted than normal too. If the two teams who pocketed the money know what James is going through at the moment, that makes it even worse to me, because they were kicking someone they knew was already down and facing something very heartbreaking. Taking their money just dumped more bad news on someone who was already over-burdened with really terrible personal news of his own. Not that it would have been right to take the money under any circumstances, but it just seems more cruel to take it from a team that was dealing with their own personal bad news as it was.

+ Reply to Thread