+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: 10/28 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Re: 10/28 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Duff
    Sorry if this has been mentioned, but in defence of Jaymes' “flavor” comment about N & N last week, I really think he meant it in terms of her personality (feisty/spicy) rather than anything to do with ethnicity. Natalie reminds me of a chilli padi, some may like it, too hot to handle for others.
    It doesn't matter so much whether it was personality or ethnicity... it comes down to whom he was asking...

It wasn't insulting to the twins so much as the guy he was asking. If I was that guy, I would respond, "so, just because I am of similar ethnicity and skin colour to these loud obnoxious girls, I must like them? That makes them my 'flavour'?" It's insulting to the guy he was asking more than it was to the twins.
    If the Chips ask some white guy in some other country the same thing, well, then, I won't be annoyed with them for this. If they ask some white guy in some other country the same thing, it will also make them really weird. But, equal opportunity weird.

To the Point

When I read all the comments about the various competitors, it is very obvious just how much our own preferences and opinions color the way we see interactions in the shows. We can think we are being objective but seriously, reading these boards really is evidence that there is very rarely true objectivity and lots of colored perceptions. Just an observation. Kind of interesting.
    Duff, Babbred and sparklete like this.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion spockwhat's Avatar

For the record... I didn't like the "white" comment by the twins either. They could have said, "Americans"... the cab driver would have figured it out...

(yes, this comment was half in response to NCLurker's musing above. :p)
    Florimel, AZChristian and Babbred like this.

FORT Regular

I agree with those who have placed Chips, Team Metal and Goat Farmers as their top three teams, in that order for me. I like Trey and Lexi too, but they are kinda Team Disney for me -- cutesey-pies, just lacking somewhat in flavor (There, I just used that word).

Lexi reminds me of the female lead in Tangled (supposedly a princess in distress but with some serious chops), while Trey would be the dopey Prince Charming portrayed in so many fairy tales and movies.

Sometimes I think folks just over analyze comments.
    Hyper, GabbyG, spockwhat and 2 others like this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I watched the show online this evening (it isn't listed on the CBS version of On Demand) and I find I'm rooting for everyone at this point. Yes, Ryan is shown as too focused on the competition, but in their bio, they both said that they are fierce competitors and no more so than with each other. It hurts to hear him not giving her credit for trying, but I understand where he is coming from. At least they aren't Jonathan and Victoria.

Oh, the sweat, the sweat...the one thing I didn't like about this episode is that they stayed in Bangladesh. I didn't see the preview, but I truly hope they move on to cooler climes. Of course, by now, the teams are becoming acclimated to the teeming crowds and the names for locations; but I die a little with each of them when they push themselves beyond health safety.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrant View Post
    Plus it also seems that Abbie & Ryan, or as I call them, Bland & Jerk, are really the only ones annoyed by the TwiNNies loudness. Now that I saw last episode again, the only ones who showed annoyance in the bus Roadblock were Bland & Jerk, while J Blond (I call the chips Jay Blonde & Jay Brunette since they have the same name) enthusiastically joined Nadiya in shouting "Long, strong and hard!" very possibly due to double entendre. The TwiNNies and the Jay Chips high fiving each other during one of this week's task lead me to believe they get along and are in good terms.

And I personally saw the interaction with Natalie and Jerk in the Roadblock task in a different way. Ryan instantly started acting like the jerk he is, asking if she's going to start screaming, her replying with a "Maybe" while giggling. And then Ryan starts screaming in an imitation of Natalie, which doesn't really stop Natalie from rooting for her sister and even some children joining in that, which was so cute. It was only later in an interview that Ryan was being a jerk, which honestly, I see him as a jerk too, his whining about not arriving in first place perfectly showing that. I still wonder just what happened off camera between these two teams to make them dislike each other like that.

If I had to make a guess, I would say that Ryan is offended that two girls are doing so well. I base this on his petulance at not coming in first. If you're so gung-ho to not only win but to clobber everybody else while doing so, then you might get a little annoyed that a "weaker" team is giving you some serious competition.

That's another reason why I kind of like the twins.

As for next week, aren't they going to Morocco? The previews showed them getting massages, so it looks like they get something of a break.
    Moontat likes this.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

They are going to Istanbul, Turkey. Which made me squeee because our family is headed there next summer as one of the stops on our Mediterranean cruise, and I can't wait to see where they go and what they do!

Quote Originally Posted by NCLurker View Post
    When I read all the comments about the various competitors, it is very obvious just how much our own preferences and opinions color the way we see interactions in the shows. We can think we are being objective but seriously, reading these boards really is evidence that there is very rarely true objectivity and lots of colored perceptions. Just an observation. Kind of interesting.
    Well, yeah, people's thoughts are coloured by their likes, dislikes, pet peeves, etc.

This particular show has shown me some of the most open-minded comments and opinions regarding the contestants that I have ever seen on a forum. (Compare to BB or DWTS)
    People are re-analysing the contestants week to week and formulating opinions week to week. Just look at the hate for the twins early... which changed to being somewhat admiring, to becoming annoyance with them. Some have loved them throughout. Their right. Same with the Chips. Or whoever else they choose to like and defend or not.

Anyway...
    scoot13 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat View Post
    Well, yeah, people's thoughts are coloured by their likes, dislikes, pet peeves, etc.

This particular show has shown me some of the most open-minded comments and opinions regarding the contestants that I have ever seen on a forum. (Compare to BB or DWTS)
    People are re-analysing the contestants week to week and formulating opinions week to week. Just look at the hate for the twins early... which changed to being somewhat admiring, to becoming annoyance with them. Some have loved them throughout. Their right. Same with the Chips. Or whoever else they choose to like and defend or not.

Anyway...
    Good post, I agree with you( again)
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread