+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: 10/7 TAR 21 Show Thread: Episode 2 **West Coast Spoilers**

Re: 10/7 TAR 21 Show Thread: Episode 2 **West Coast Spoilers**

I am sure that by now the producers have arrangements with various countries as far as visas go because The Amazing Race is a very popular TV Show and there are various franchisees in different countries.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Thanks for the info, Marauder. That's pretty much what I was thinking. The show gives the contestants the paperwork, requires them to return it with whatever else is required (i.e. pictures, documentation) and then the show submits everything. As for getting the visas into their passports, you usually have to surrender your passport when you're getting these things. My husband is British, and we each applied for the other country's equivalent of a green card. Both hubby and I had to surrender our passports to the other's government while we waited. The contestants probably turn theirs in with the visa applications. And while it may take ordinary folks a while to get them, since this is a major American TV show, I'm sure they're able to grease the wheels a little bit to expedite things. (cough, cough) That would especially be true for Third World countries.

Also, most of Western Europe does not require you to have a visa. We lived in Britain for several years and traveled on the continent, and all I had to do was show my American passport. The UK also does not require you to have a visa. I had to get one, but only because I married a UK citizen and went there to live. When I applied, the consulate specifically told me that as long as you remain there for less than 3 months you're classified as a tourist. I say this because the Race went to England last season.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    Thanks for the info, Marauder. That's pretty much what I was thinking. The show gives the contestants the paperwork, requires them to return it with whatever else is required (i.e. pictures, documentation) and then the show submits everything. As for getting the visas into their passports, you usually have to surrender your passport when you're getting these things. My husband is British, and we each applied for the other country's equivalent of a green card. Both hubby and I had to surrender our passports to the other's government while we waited. The contestants probably turn theirs in with the visa applications. And while it may take ordinary folks a while to get them, since this is a major American TV show, I'm sure they're able to grease the wheels a little bit to expedite things. (cough, cough) That would especially be true for Third World countries.

Also, most of Western Europe does not require you to have a visa. We lived in Britain for several years and traveled on the continent, and all I had to do was show my American passport. The UK also does not require you to have a visa. I had to get one, but only because I married a UK citizen and went there to live. When I applied, the consulate specifically told me that as long as you remain there for less than 3 months you're classified as a tourist. I say this because the Race went to England last season.
    Most of my traveling has been to Europe, Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean and I have never needed a Visa. So basically North America and Europe are Visa free travel areas. I wonder as long as you are a tourist and not staying longer than a few weeks and enriching the local economy most countries probably have a similar policy. Although I can totally understand China and both Koreas requiring them.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    I have to admit I was a little bit disappointed by the first "challenge" with the bulls. Where was the challenge in that? Like Midol said, I would have actually made them race the bulls and go back if they lost. We know the bulls can be beaten because one of the teams did. Also, I felt sorry for the people who did the party challenge. Not only did that take a lot of dexterity and physical strength, but it's not terribly easy to make balloon shapes. I took a class on that once and gave up after the first lesson because I couldn't master it. I was pleasantly surprised that more teams didn't bomb like the teachers.
    I've seen bull races with tiny carts on the back instead of a sled, and those races can be fatal for the rider. I might have seen the ones with the sled as well (like last night), but I'm guessing that the organizers couldn't give the producers reasonable assurances for personal safety, so they rode the scooters instead. I got that impression because the contestants were also put up in trailers while they waited overnight, rather than be left to their own devices on the street.

Fort Member

Indonesia, India, China, Korea and Vietnam all require visas however with some of them like Indonesia and Vietnam you can get the visa when you arrive
    Basically at the airport before you go through customs you follow the Visa on arrival signs in Vietnam you fill out a form pay your money hand over your passport wait a few minutes they call your number stamp the passport and you go
    In Indonesia they look at your passport you give them the money they stamp it then you head to customs
    Its easy and you don't need to pre apply
    For India China and Korea you have to apply before hand and it can take up to ten days
    Now I know Amazing Race has been to all these countries and they seem to get through the airports quickly so my guess is that they have a multiple visa card
    My husband has one of these for work its a card that is used as a visa for a group of countries so he does not have to keep applying for visas every time he travels to them. It also gets him through immigration a lot quicker too which sucks when I am traveling with him
    I have actually forgotten what the card is called but it covers all the Asian countries he has to visit and lasts 12mths I think or it might be longer
    Although it is through his employer he was able to get one and it does cost I am sure that this is how they are able to go through most of the Asian countries they travel to with such ease and without letting the contestants know exactly which countries they will be going to, actually maybe not sure but it would be a good guess as to how they do it
    Shoepie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post
    Express Pass is a prize.
    Right on.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345