+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: 11/6 TAR 19 Show Thread Episode 7 **West Coast Spoilers**

FORT Fogey

Re: 11/6 TAR 19 Show Thread Episode 7 **West Coast Spoilers**

It's odd that problems with clues are continually screwing people up. They don't read them correctly or they can't find them or they lose them. On the other hand, hardly anyone's messing up in terms of directions, at least not as royally as we've seen people mess up in that area on earlier seasons.

It's kind of sad that just as the brother/sister team stopped fighting and started becoming easier to take, they get eliminated. Jennifer was rather stupid not to just go back or not to remember the directions for the task (which were pretty simple), but she didn't yell or carry on the way she would've earlier in the race. I wonder if something went on behind the scenes with those two that caused them to adjust their earlier attitudes. Now the one who's driving me nuts is poor Zack's dad. I say poor Zack, because I think I could probably like his team if he were just teamed with someone else. Considering the way his dad carries on, he's remarkably calm, especially for one so young.

I did feel a little sorry for Ernie and Cindy, but honestly, it was their own fault. They couldn't figure out where the Jamaica Shop was, when everyone else found it in half the time, and then they made the decision not to u-turn the snowboarders, which would probably have given them the win. On top of everything else, they wasted their express pass in the process. Not a great day for them. If they u-turn the snowboarders next week, I can see their reasonings. Right now, those two look unstoppable, and they themselves said that they turned it on to pass them on the way to the mat, because it was a competition, and that's what you do in a competition--and they were sure Cindy and Ernie would do the same. If they believe that, they really can't blame Cindy and Ernie--or anyone else--for u-turning them in the future (though, personally, I wish they didn't have u-turns at all, as I really don't like them).

Oh, and kudos to Marcus and Armani for finishing that stupid slide puzzle and then hauling all that stuff in from the lake and still making it to the matt in fourth place. And Mom and Pop continue to shine. They may be the most competitive older couple they've ever had on the race. Really, this season doesn't have an obviously nasty villainous team, and it's kind of refreshing not to loathe anyone (okay, I don't like Zack's dad, but I don't mind Zack, so it's not as bad as in past seasons, when I've hated both partners in some teams).
    Endit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    The father and son used the uturn on Marcus and Amani who had just passed them so there was no point....they then commented that they hoped Marcus and Amani had not been coming from the uturn mat...um, why else would they be in that area. Geniuses (mostly the father).
    Speaking of geniuses, I could not figure out why Jennifer did not just go back to the start and read the clue instead of standing around looking blank. I wanted to smack her.
    I did laugh when the boarders passed Cindy and Ernie at the end. I did feel a bit bad for them because they were going all out. Next well Cindy is going to stop being nice...not sure when she started.
    Bill and Cathy continue to impress.
    Yeah, Lawrence just wasted their U-Turn ability doing that, just as Ernie and Cindy have wasted their express pass. I'd saved it as long as I could just in case they had the haystack challenge. Now THAT'S one you have the express pass for.

And yes, Bill and Cathy continue to impress - especially knowing that had leg one of this race been the traditional "you're eliminated" leg, we'd not be seeing this delightful and refreshing older couple team do so well and rarely bicker and the like (well rarely if at all). Mind you I did like Terri and Ian for their competitiveness, but sometimes he got too irritating. This team just rocks all out. If there was ever a senior couple win this, I'd like it to be them.
    Moontat likes this.

I thought Ernie and Cindy just threw away that express pass. They KNEW they were in 2nd place behind the boarders. There was no reason to skip that challenge. Now, they won't have it if they are ever in dead last place.

Also stupid was Lawrence and Zac using their U-turn. They knew for certain there were 2 teams behind them, while really it was 3 teams. It was only a single elimination round. Then, wrongly assuming that Marcus and Amani were lost they wasted their one and only U-turn of the race on a team they just saw coming from the area where the U-turn mat was. They shouldn't have used the only U-turn they have anyhow because of knowing the teams were behind them.

I couldn't figure out why Jennifer didn't just turn around and go read the directions much sooner. She said as much finally, but it sure did waste a ton of time just waiting. That village didn't look to be that big (although at one point someone mentioned 2 km, but still it appeared it would have been quicker to ride back to find out the directions than just standing around waiting, hoping to find other teams.

These teams are making mistakes all over the place, and much longer it seems in the race on such a consistent basis than I remember from previous races. I could be wrong, but it's a lot of moments when I just shake my head trying to figure them out.

The Express Pass was good only through the 8th leg so this being the 7th they might as well use it this time when the boys should have been farther behind them. But, taking some time to search for the bar is what did them in. I'm surprised they didn't U-turn Andy and Tommy to increase their lead. In the end, the boys had more zip and squeaked in ahead of them. I do think Ernie and Cindy were smart to use the Pass as they were having a dreadful time trying to paddle and would have fallen far behind.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    Really, this season doesn't have an obviously nasty villainous team, and it's kind of refreshing not to loathe anyone (okay, I don't like Zack's dad, but I don't mind Zack, so it's not as bad as in past seasons, when I've hated both partners in some teams).
    Totally agree, it's refreshing to have a season where I truly don't dislike a team. There doesn't always have to be a villain and I think that's where TAR sets itself apart from all of the other reality shows. Other shows seem to purposely cast villains just for the drama.

FORT Fogey

This season is actually ok because of the fighting less and having to locate things more, and having more things that can be missed.

I did not understand Zach and his dad uturning the couple they just saw leaving the uturn. Do they not know the rules of the uturn?

I think the siblings just ran out of gas emotionally and physically, and really did not have enough steam to get mad about it. Plus I would have a hard time getting mad having the opportunity they had while being in a place that obviously has so much less than we have. Hopefully going there humbled them a little as it seemed they were more mature in this leg of the race.

It is time that an older team won this race. I think that Cathy and Bill have a great chance. I hope they continue to get along, and focus on the race. Sometimes speed is secondary to focus on the race.

I do not think that the snowboarders are the ones next week they will uturn. That is too obvious. I think it will end up being Bill and Cathy, and that is why they are questioning themselves. After finishing second to the snowboarders like they did in this leg, I hardly see them even pausing to think about uturning them and just doing it.

I have no problem with the boys racing. It ended up being 7500 a piece. That is definitely worth racing for. Yes they are way more athletically agile than most teams, but until the race makes the teams more similar, they are allowed to win as much as they can. Do I like it not much but it is the way the race is set up.

FORT Regular

"Totally agree, it's refreshing to have a season where I truly don't dislike a team. There doesn't always have to be a villain and I think that's where TAR sets itself apart from all of the other reality shows. Other shows seem to purposely cast villains just for the drama."

I do completely understand this line of thinking...it's the villains that always tick me off. BUT...I will say this. I seem to enjoy reality competition shows more when there is someone to REALLY pull against, and I don't have anyone that I pull against in the Amazing Race this season. There's just something satisfying about watching a loud-mouthed, arrogant jerk get humbled and eliminated from a show. (Russell on Survivor) So it is nice that everyone on TAR seems like good people, but for me, it's not QUITE as entertaining as having some bad guys to pull against. (Ok...Zach's dad gets on my nerves, so I guess I'll pull against them)

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

The stupidity of the racers sometimes is staggering. You'd think after this many seasons of the show, people would learn to eliminate many of the common stupid mistakes.

What was Jennifer thinking???? You NEVER want to be standing around doing nothing when you're in a race!!! Her team was only given $1 for that leg of the race so it was unlikely her partner could have gone anywhere. She had already established he wasn't at the point where she delivered the fish. Common sense should have told her to go back to the place where she picked up the fish. She wasted entirely too much time sitting around doing nothing. I'm glad she's gone anyway because I didn't her nasty personality. She was plain rude to her brother a lot of the time and didn't seem to be trying too hard in the challenges.

Ernie and Cindy should have u-turned the snowboarders. That cost them the 1st place finish and wasted their express pass.

As for Laurence and Zac, they passed right by Marcus and Amani when they went to the U-turn so they should have know not to U-turn them because they had already passed the U-turn. Doh!

The slide puzzle looked easy to me and I thought it wasn't much of a speed bump. I can't believe how long it took those two to figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    The slide puzzle looked easy to me and I thought it wasn't much of a speed bump. I can't believe how long it took those two to figure it out.
    That's so funny you said that. When I saw that slide puzzle I thought, oh my God, that would take me hours! I am terrible at those types of puzzles (never could figure out Rubik's cube, either). Give me any kind of a word puzzle or memory task, and I would be good.
    sweetpea, Moontat and AZChristian like this.
    "Everything you do matters. Every moment, every decision you make it affects the people around you it changes the world in a million imperceptible ways. No matter what your reality, you can make it better." -- Richard Castle

That's bs that Ernie and Cindy still had to find the Jamaica Shop and the U-Turn mat, only to say that they choose not to u-turn anyone. Express is express. Period. Any other express pass I remember being used directed the team to advvance straight to the pit stop. They should have had the option of bypassing the U-Turn. JMO.

Cindy is nice.

+ Reply to Thread