+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: 10/30 TAR 19 Episode 6 *West Coast Spoilers*

Re: 10/30 TAR 19 Episode 6 *West Coast Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    All I can say is, shut up, Lawrence. He's grating on my last nerve, and I'd happily send him back to the '50s.

The bed falling on Cindy as she lay there laughing was so funny.

Does anyone else think it is taking them longer and longer to get the racers through the legs? We used to have the "mandatory 12 hour rest stop" spiel from Phil and we'd get the times clearly "So-and-so, who arrived at 8:20 pm will depart at 8:20 am" - I don't recall hearing him give this info this season. Wonder why?
    I forgot about the bed falling on Cindy, it was funny, and I was glad she was laughing as it happened. Usually that's the best reaction to have to something like that as it gets you moving again quicker than a freak-out.

Phil hasn't been saying the 12 hour spiel, but the times are usually posted for when they are leaving. I assumed it's either the 12 hour or 36 hour time frame.

FORT Fogey

As far as Phil not taking teams in the proper order, he did. We don't see it all but I suspect there is a producer who pays attention to who arrives first at a point just outside of the camera's view. There is no way they would leave that up to Phill to make a call on a close race from where he is standing. And he is often distracted with talking to another team already on the mat. He cannot see the horse race view from the side.

I have not watched all the shows because my DVR did not get them due to sports preempting when it ran over past The Good Wife. I didnt care; very boring season. I find the woman in the older couple (farmers) annoying. She talks down to everyone as if they were kindergarden students.

I don't like non elimination rounds. Just be out.

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    Where is that man from? England? Because I can tell that most men in Britain don't have that attitude.
    Hmm. My family is English, I grew up there and my best friend lives in England and is married to an English man, and I'm not remotely surprised by his attitude.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    And I didn't think Marcus and Armani were whining. I would probably have been crying, too, if I had to carry my bed around. I was really touched by them in this episode, and glad they weren't eliminated.
    I was just weirded out by the irony. Most of the people showing sympathy at the tears of Marcus and Amani don't even have beds.

To be clear, Marcus and Armani are one of my top three teams, along with the older couple (though her voice makes me want to punch someone in the throat lol and she is patronizing sometimes) and probably the snowboarders. So far, those three teams seem to relish the race the most, and with the most positive attitudes. Cathi is beyond enthusiastic, I do admire her upbeat attitude. I just found the situation felt stupid. Them crying about trying to win a million dollars while the people of Malawi looked on with sympathy. Just ironic to me.

I also loved it when the bed fell on Cindy. She wasn't hurt so it just ended up being hilarious she was trapped under it.

However, I was totally disgusted at the way Phil treated them the first time. Excuse me? You just let that other couple butt in front of them? What was up with that? Remember how Justin and Jennifer came in first, so Phil checked them in, THEN told them they had screwed up, THEN told the snowboarders they were actually first because of the other team's mistake. Why couldn't Bill and Cathi gotten the same respect? Because of course, while Phil checked in that other team, B & C were losing time. Phil, Phil, I was so disappointed in you.
    If someone could clear this up for me I would appreciate it. After Phil checked in the brother sister team who came in just before Bill and Cathi, he also checked in another team. I remember Phil telling Bill and Cathi to wait a minute while he checked in someone else. I wanted to double check, but we erased the taping from my PVR, so I can't. So it wasn't that he checked in the brother and sister who butted in that was the big problem... it's that he checked in another team as well that really ticked me off. If someone could confirm that happened, I'd appreciate it.

Eta: Just wanted to add I'd really like to see the token "old" team finally take home the grand prize. In the past, those teams have managed to get near the end but have never won. I also see Bill and Cathi as the underdogs this season because they never get helped at tasks the way the other teams help each other.
    Last edited by spockwhat; 11-01-2011 at 10:08 AM.
    Babbred likes this.

I think a lot of the tears at the mat from Marcus and Amani was just relief, exhaustion, a let-down of emotions, etc. I don't think they were crying specifically about winning or losing a million dollars, just emotions from being given another chance and also the connection to teaching their child not to ever give up. I thought it was sweet.
    NCLurker likes this.

Re: Justin and Jennifer butting in....watching this in real time, I thought the same too....at first. But it quickly occurred to me that one of the older couple was still meddling with their bed (read: setting it down on the ground). They weren't actually on the mat. I thought it was Cathi, but in watching the recording again, it turns out it was Bill. Justin and Jennifer are my least favourite couple this season (not just of teams left, but of teams eliminated too), but in their defense, I do think that Phil made the right call there. Having said that, I think Phil was wrong to check in Jeremy and Sandy before Bill and Cathi. It cost them about 10 seconds, in a game where every second counts. However, one could argue that they had not actually completed the task, whereas Jeremy and Sandy did, and if Bill and Cathi were received by Phil before J & S, then the 10 second deficit would cost J & S upon departing the next morning. JMO.
    Last edited by Tribal Speak; 11-01-2011 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Typos
    sweetpea likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tribal Speak View Post
    Re: Justin and Jennifer butting in....watching this in real time, I thought the same too....at first. But it quickly occurred to me that one of the older couple was still meddling with their bed (read: setting it down on the ground). They weren't actually on the mat. I thought it was Cathi, but in watching the recording again, it turns out it was Bill. Justin and Jennifer are my least favourite couple this season (not just of teams left, but of teams eliminated too), but in their defense, I do think that Phil made the right call there. Having said that, I think Phil was wrong to check in Jeremy and Sandy before Bill and Cathi. It cost them about 10 seconds, in a game where every second counts. However, one could argue that they had not actually completed the task, whereas Jeremy and Sandy did, and if Bill and Cathi were received by Phil before J & S, then the 10 second deficit would cost J & S upon departing the next morning. JMO.
    Just watched it again myself. You are correct. Bill was still setting down his bed so Justin butted in ahead of Kathi. Then Jennifer joined Justin at the same time as Bill joined Kathi, but still....I don't blame Phil for checking in J & J first since Justin got in ahead.

What rots my socks is what happens next. Phil tells B & K to "stay where you are" in order to let Jeremy & Sandy run up and get checked in. Not only is there not a precedent for this (that I'm aware of), but it caused to B & K to lose valuable seconds. Shame on you, Phil!
    spockwhat and Duckyface like this.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat View Post
    I was just weirded out by the irony. Most of the people showing sympathy at the tears of Marcus and Amani don't even have beds.

To be clear, Marcus and Armani are one of my top three teams, along with the older couple (though her voice makes me want to punch someone in the throat lol and she is patronizing sometimes) and probably the snowboarders. So far, those three teams seem to relish the race the most, and with the most positive attitudes. Cathi is beyond enthusiastic, I do admire her upbeat attitude. I just found the situation felt stupid. Them crying about trying to win a million dollars while the people of Malawi looked on with sympathy. Just ironic to me.
    I meant to say that I appreciated your post. Sometimes we get so wrapped up in the race and the contestants that we forget to look at the broader picture. Yeah, this challenge was tough, but many of those people looking on may not have beds. Thank you for the different perspective.

I also loved it when the bed fell on Cindy. She wasn't hurt so it just ended up being hilarious she was trapped under it.

As the immortal Capt. Picard said once, "Sometimes you just have to bow to the absurd!"
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Thank you for clearing the check in thing for me, TribalSpeak and Babbred. Yep, it was the fact that Phil checked in Jeremy and Sandy before Bill and Cathi (who were clearly there first) that burned my onions too.

I think a lot of the tears at the mat from Marcus and Amani was just relief, exhaustion, a let-down of emotions, etc. I don't think they were crying specifically about winning or losing a million dollars, just emotions from being given another chance and also the connection to teaching their child not to ever give up. I thought it was sweet.
    And I agree. How can I think they are sweet and find it ironic and stupid at the same time?... well, it's hard to explain. One is about good people (which is what I believe Marcus and Amani are) and the other is about a strange situation, which is the enviroment that the tears occured in. I don't know what else to say.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234