+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: 10/23 TAR 19 Episode 5 **West Coast Spoilers**

Re: 10/23 TAR 19 Episode 5 **West Coast Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    I imagine they talk to whoever isn't currently doing the task, as to do otherwise would slow the team down. Not sure, are there producers on scene to ask the questions specific to the task at hand?
    As I understand it, from a friend who was involved in a reality show and knows a little about this one specifically, there are people from the show at each task who ask "casual" questions. There are also people, often just a camera man, who can ask questions in the taxi or during their walking part, on the trains etc. You never hear them ask the question, just whichever particular part of the answer they choose to show you to further whatever the current storyline they want for whoever they are editing. Sometimes while one member is doing a task the other can't help with they will interview the not helping partner.

There are more formal ask and answer sessions in some spots, during a pit stop for instance, or at some specific spot along the race. Hope that helps

Sometimes the questions are general, like "how did today go for you?" and sometimes they are more pointed "How did you handle X specific situation and what were your thoughts and feelings during it? What did you think of how C team handled the road block compared to D team? Do you find F team annoying at any time?
    Last edited by Duckyface; 10-26-2011 at 02:14 AM.

You make good points, Duckyface. It's an interesting discussion.

I loved the twins with the elephants. How cool for them to get to interact with a favorite animal. I would have been just as love struck if I were them and we were in China bathing Pandas, I promise,

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat View Post
    Maybe it was rude of the producers to ask the snowboarders about THEIR religion on the grounds of a temple and near a Buddhist. (Knowing that the snowboarders are Christian.)
    Great observation. I was offended at this blatant attempt to smear a team merely based on their religious belief. I agree with whoever said that this was probably done to bring the boarders down a notch since they were doing so well.

Which has got me to thinking a bit. How come we never hear of the other religions of racers? Surely, they've had racers of Jewish faith, Buddhists maybe, a Wiccan? Don't their feelings matter when being at a religious temple of another faith... or is it not worthy of asking? Or do only atheists and Christians go on the amazing race? We have historically had some pretty nasty Christians on the race... which is curious to me.
    A couple of seasons ago, the winning team, two brothers, was Jewish. The producers never asked them about their religion. I would love to know how they could reconcile their religion with their obnoxious behavior. The last time I checked, the Bible didn't condone cheating and lying (their accusations of homophobia against the Cowboys, which have never been substantiated).

Great discussion, but I've decided to not take any judgement on the snowboarders at this point. We'll see what future episodes hold for them. And maybe people of a different religious background! (yeah, ok, I doubt it. lol)
    I'm still rooting for them.
    spockwhat, SugarMama and sparklete like this.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat View Post
    Maybe it was rude of the producers to ask the snowboarders about THEIR religion on the grounds of a temple and near a Buddhist. (Knowing that the snowboarders are Christian.) Which has got me to thinking a bit. How come we never hear of the other religions of racers? Surely, they've had racers of Jewish faith, Buddhists maybe, a Wiccan? Don't their feelings matter when being at a religious temple of another faith... or is it not worthy of asking? Or do only atheists and Christians go on the amazing race? We have historically had some pretty nasty Christians on the race... which is curious to me.

Great discussion, but I've decided to not take any judgement on the snowboarders at this point. We'll see what future episodes hold for them. And maybe people of a different religious background! (yeah, ok, I doubt it. lol)
    Personally, I think it's not really necessary for any of the contestants to be asked religious or political questions, but then, I don't know why the racers couldn't just respond with a simple, "I don't really feel like discussing that right now" or something equally non-committal either. Perhaps some of them even did, and thus their comments didn't make it to air. I actually didn't care that the snowboarders made the comments they did at the beginning of the show about being Christians. In fact, I was actually happy--and said so--that one of them mentioned a Biblical verse that mentioned being joyful, since, as you pointed out, we get an awful lot of "nasty" Christian portrayals on reality television. As someone who is Christian, it annoys me that we so often get portrayals of Christians who feel that all you have to do is read the Bible to know that their religion is the one right one. There are an awful lot of Christians, including Biblical scholars who've spent their careers reading and re-reading the Bible, who would argue that it's not that simple. It's like when they go to cast Christians, they want a particular type. Heck, how about a pair of nuns for the race instead? I know a few sisters who'd break the stereotypes people have of nuns, and as for the vow of poverty thing, they could donate their winnings to charity or their order (contrary to what people think, convents are not just paid for by the Catholic church, and with the average age of nuns rising, it's becoming harder and harder for them to pay their bills, just like everyone else).

As for the snowboarders, I've also said that while their comments at the temple didn't endear them to me, I don't hate them. Over the last two episodes, they've said a couple of things I haven't liked--the other about sharing answers with teams they liked and thus controlling who sticks around--but if that trend doesn't continue, it's not like it would bother me if they won. If it does, however, I may have to revise how I'd feel about that.

Quote Originally Posted by calicokat View Post
    I loved the twins with the elephants. How cool for them to get to interact with a favorite animal. I would have been just as love struck if I were them and we were in China bathing Pandas, I promise,
    Same here.I love how thrilled they were.

Here's an interesting passage from Ariel's recap:

After purchasing their ticket, the taxi driver wants more money…meanwhile their bus is revving up to leave the terminal and this creates their first tense and stressful situation this leg. After handing over all their money (minus the bus tickets) the manager tells them the bus has stopped and waits for them. The cabbie who took all their money gives them a ride to catch up to the bus. They think it is really, really nice of him. Uh – is it because he has a guilty conscience?
    Earlier, she had said that Liz and Marie only had the $186 given to them for that leg, and that it probably had something to do with their not exchanging their money at the airport.

So, the burning question is: why did their cabbie demand an extra fare? Was that on top of the $150 normal fare? Why were they the only contestants singled out for this? Were the cabbies ticked off after Cindy and Ernie's tantrum?

I looked up the Bible verses that the snowboarders are wearing.

Proverbs 19:2 Also it is not good for a person to be without knowledge, And he who hurries his footsteps errs.

I LOL when I read this. This could be the motto for the entire race!

1 Thessalonians 5:16 Rejoice always

A good motto for most of life, especially the race.
    Last edited by Babbred; 10-27-2011 at 07:13 PM.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Those were definitely apt verses for them to carry with them. Love the 'he who hurries his footsteps errs' one.

My favorite part was the first half. How many times have people here cried, "Why didn't they read the clue?"
    sweetpea likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    In all honesty, I really wish they'd not invoke the whole issue of religion in regard to these types of things anyway, because they always go for the Christianity issue and the more negative sides.

Heck, Neleh from Survivor Marquesas is a Mormon, even brought Scriptures as her luxury item, and it wasn't even MENTIONED in any way until the very end with the Rotu four talking about religious hypocricy (never mind that Neleh actually based her strategy by using the chopping block game to realize her place in the Rotu group and told Paschal, Sean and Vee and one other to secure their numbers).

Personally, I just like the snowboarders because they're having fun - and even with their verbal opinion, they DID at least respect the property that they were on and the customs enough to do the shrine properly. Plus, they had no problems with the whole Buddha activity and didn't comment in regard to being in that temple to count the statues. (I know some will comment in regard to the fact he stood up to show the signs, but so did I think Lawrence. The others probably sat in the lotus position in order to correctly remember the hand signs).
    I agree with you that I wish that the producers did not see the need to bring the issue of religion into the shows, because it does seem like they always go for the negative when it comes Christianity. It seems that Christianity is the one religion that it is in vogue to go after and to put down. It is very sad to me.

I personally enjoy the snowboarders for their fun, upbeat personalities. They are not bickering, they treat their fellow racers with kindness, and are showing the people in the host countries respect and courtesy.

+ Reply to Thread