+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: 10/16 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Re: 10/16 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    Or the dating couples testing their relationships a la Jeremy and his partner.
    One of the twins said the Thais were nice -she was speaking of the cabbie who drove them for free as they only had Indonesian money. That might cone back to bite them as the preview shows them not having enough money for the bus.
    The father and son might have hubris as their downfall...everybody else showed their boat captain the map and where to go for the pit stop whereas they made mention of their sailing ability and told him to go northeast, and then promptly got lost and eventually had to follow another team to the destination.
    Regarding the twins and the cabbie, I didn't realize that he took them for free until you reminded me that they said that they had exhanged all their dollars for Indonesian money. But I remember the unhappy look on the cabbie's face when both of the girls were hugging him, so I assume that the cabbie might not have known until it was too late that the twins' only money was Indonesian. He certainly did not look happy.

Since I am not familiar with the currency in that region, where would the twins need to go in order to exchange the Indonesian currency back into dollars? They might lose a little in the exchange, but it is better than no money at all. Is there a place at the airport to do that? That will be a huge disadvantage for them - not only transportation but what about food, bottled water and such?

CCL

Yes, it was apparent the twins did not tell him at the outset they didn't have Thai money as when they were discussing it they were already in the cab. I'm sure the cabbie was probably miffed but I guess he figured he couldn't do anything then.
    They should have changed their money at the airport; I presume that is what the other teams did. The airport exchange rate can be not that great but there is the convenience factor. It might have been easier to change Indonesian money in Indonesia as well as some currencies are not always easy to exchange. Phuket is a tourist destination so there should be banks, currency exchanges etc but I think it is most popular with western tourists so all places may not accept Indonesian currency for exchange (banks might be a better bet). Plus it looks like they are leaving on the bus at night next time and those places would be closed.
    Last edited by CCL; 10-17-2011 at 11:43 AM.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I would think they could have paid the cabbie with they money they had and thrown it enough extra to make it worth his while to go take it somewhere to be exchanged. Although, they really should have made going somewhere to get their money exchanged a top priority before setting off on this leg of the race. As has been mentioned, it seems a lot of international airports have a place where you can exchange currency.

Surfer Dudes and Father/son for me. I don't like Ma/Pa-not for any other reason than that as former teachers they sure don't seem to pay much attention to details/instructions.

I was surprised that the dating couple (blonde woman, dark haired man) did the coral reef one initially and then the woman exclaimed she wasn't a swimmer.....why would you choose underwater if you aren't a strong swimmer?
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    If I remember correctly, after the one snowboarder gave the answer to Marcus and Amani, the other questioned whether it was right to do that, and the other one told him they had a right to help those they wanted to keep around. That's what I found particularly objectionable. I don't like the idea of some contestants rigging things so that certain others get through who should be eliminated because they couldn't figure out a task, while others have to do the task themselves. I don't care who's offering or getting the information. It's unfair, and part of the reason I like AR is that there isn't the kind of alliance playing that takes place on other shows. There are actually supposed to be rules on AR, and I wish they'd institute one that penalized people just giving away the answers to other teams so that they don't even need to complete the task to move on.
    I had forgotten, but yes, you're right. To his credit, one of the boarders said that he wasn't comfortable with just giving the answer way, but the other one basically brushed him off. And I don't care how they structure it, I just wish they would ban giving a team an answer outright.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Longhornfan View Post
    Regarding the twins and the cabbie, I didn't realize that he took them for free until you reminded me that they said that they had exhanged all their dollars for Indonesian money....
    Are we sure the cabbie drove them for free? Or did he accept the Indonesian money as payment? If the twins had said "This is all we have," it's hard to believe that he wouldn't have taken it rather than getting nothing, especially if he got to decide the exchange rate. It certainly wouldn't be hard for him to exchange for himself. Of course they should have exchanged it, and maybe gotten some dollars somewhere as a back-up fund, but that doesn't mean they ripped off the cab driver. If that's what they did wouldn't they incur a penalty? (And Thailand is such an international tourist destination, the driver has probably had to deal with bigger problems than taking foreign cash.)

CCL

The twins said that the cabbie drove them for free. I guess if he agreed to it it wouldn't be considered a violation of rules. I remember previous seasons where teams were short of money but the cabbie wouldn't accept the situation until they came up with appropriate payment (didn't one team give their cabbie their sneakers or a watch in exchange? But I think they might have gotten in trouble for that? Maybe they still had money...there's been so many shows it is hard to remember. I remember one team (Uchenna and Joyce) who were at the final pit stop but didn't have enough money and there was a bit of a stand off. They had to beg money from passersby finally to pay him before they could leave the cab).
    Last edited by CCL; 10-18-2011 at 04:36 AM.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123