+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: 10/2 TAR 19 Episode 2 *West Coast Spoilers*

Re: 10/2 TAR 19 Episode 2 *West Coast Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by Longhornfan View Post
    (2) Does Phil have a blog or twitter account? I would like to hear what he had to say about that twist at the end.
    This is Phil on Twitter. He was live-tweeting during the show.

http://twitter.com/#!/PhilKeoghan

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrant View Post
    I just checked it, and these are Phil's exact words when describing the task:

"Both Detours require teams to travel to this orphanage, home to scores of children orphaned by the devastating 2010 eruption of Mt. Merapi. There, they must donate their Detour earnings to receive their next clue. But that's not all. In addition, teams must notice this sign, which instructs them to hand over all the money in their possession."

So from what I see, the part of donating all their money was definitely not in their clue, it was something they had to notice there right on the spot. Teams would be given their clue by donating what they earned at the Detour, but the part of donating all their money was an additional task on the spot, clearly done with the idea that, in their rush, teams may not notice the sign on the table, or if they do, think it has nothing to do with them so they won't read it. It obviously worked, seeing that only 3 out of 11 teams noticed and read it. Score one for the Showgirls on their wanting to show they can be smart.
    Thanks! That also clears up the question of why the teams got their next clue without turning over all of their money.

Quote Originally Posted by Sk8Leigh View Post
    This is Phil on Twitter. He was live-tweeting during the show.

Twitter
    Thank you for posting that. That was interesting to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    Can't believe I forgot to come here and post last week.

Since I didn't, I have a question. What is the relationship of Ethan and Jenna? Are they married? I have have never watched Survivor, so I had no clue who they were until the other contestants started talking about them. I have to confess, at first I was one of those people who was a little ticked off that they were trying to win more money. However, after reading the comment about his medical bills, I realized that commenter was probably right. Having suffered at the hands of the American medical system myself , I can understand how Ethan might have used up much of his previous money. He also sounded like a very nice person. I was sorry to see them go tonight, but that was a little silly to lose their clue.

And losing your passport? Really? I believe we had this discussion last season when some contestant left behind his fanny pack with his money and passport in it. Man, that sucker would stay glued to my body until I got to my hotel room at night. My husband is English, so we travel to Britain every year. From the moment we leave home, we are always checking with each other. "Got the passports?"

And just a minor note: my dad was telling me just the other day that he had read that most football players only play for about 2-3 years, and that the vast majority make considerable less than a million dollars. Salaries like that only go to the star players who make the headlines. Therefore, I can believe that this particular former player might not have a ton of money now.

OK, on to tonight's episode. I loved it.

The spelunking challenge was cool. I've been rappelling down a cliff before, and that was one of the scariest things I've ever done. Kudos to the contestants for not freaking out and to some of them for enjoying it.

Go Ma and Pa! I thought they should have done better on the very first challenge, but I've really grown to like them now. I laughed when the husband made it out of the cave first. Man, they must have smoked it untangling those knots. I love how they don't tear each other apart but keep focused on the challenge and working together.

Love the snowboarders, too. That was also my favorite line of the night. "Dude, don't call me dude." Whoever compared them to the Cowboys nailed it. No wonder I like these guys so much. The "dude" line reminds me of the Cowboys' first season, when one of them beat all of the other contestants on a lassoing challenge. As they ran away, he told the other, "Man, they'll never let me live this down at home they I missed it on the first try." The snowboarders have that same kind of easy camaraderie. I bet that they won't be nasty towards the other contestants, either, as the season goes on.

People, people, people. There was a sign right in front of you and you never thought to read it? That's just sad. I also wondered why all the contestants were so calm when Phil told them they had to go back. I think it was pretty obvious that the producers had told them already. I think the first team were the only ones to really freak out, and that most of the teams would have shown some sort of negative reaction if they were truly finding out for the first time.

Somebody mentioned the baseball play-offs. Go Rangers! Sorry, just had to throw that in.

Marcus Pollard played for about 15 years in the NFL and was among the top receiving right ends during several of those years, his most successful years were with thie Colts, I think.. He did have a good career. I'm quite enjoying seeing him and his wife in the race. I did have him a few times in fantasy football, probably why he's so familiar to me.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I recorded the show, so I just zipped to the final challenge. I've got the screen frozen on that sign.

"In exchange, you will receive a clue to help you find the next Pit Stop" is the last sentence. Ernie and Cindy have just arrived and turned in their Detour money. In return, they were handed what looked like some sort of plastic shield thing. E & C have no idea what to do with it. "What the heck is this?" asks Cindy. Then she and Ernie go out to the street and start asking the natives, who indicate Kraton Palace. The teams who follow them and only give their Detour money are equally befuddled. Unfortunately, my recording screws up just as the snowboarders are arriving, so I don't know what extra clue they were handed. I vaguely remember it saying something about go to a certain place and take a taxi to Kraton Palace, because the boarders were wondering how they would pay for the taxi. Maybe TPTB had pre-arranged with some taxi drivers to take the contestants to the Palace? Whatever the nature of the extra clue, it must have been something definitive to reward those contestants for paying attention.

Thank you for all the information about Ethan. I'm a big soccer fan, too, so now I love him even more. I'm also very sorry to see him go. BTW, what was the nature of his relationship to Jenna? Just curious.

Also, thank you, Florimel, for that info about Marcus. Although I love my beloved Cowboys, I'm not that knowledgeable about the NFL.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Quote Originally Posted by SugarMama View Post
    I remember when Ethan won. One of the questions from the jury was what he would do with the money if he won, and he (being a soccer player) said he wanted to use part of it to help bring soccer to the kids there and create a charity for them. One of the reward challenges that season had been to visit a village, and it seemed to impact him...he played hacky sack with the children. What impressed me most was that after he DID win, he actually did what he said he was going to do!!!

It was devastating to learn he had cancer, and his attitude was just so great throughout (from what we've seen, at least). What makes Ethan my all-time favorite Survivor winner was that attitude, his genorosity, his sincerity, and he's awfully darned cute.
    Unfortunately, he married the one of the most annoying (and undeserving) winners of Survivor. And it was her fault that they came in 2nd to last and got eliminated for losing the clue or they would have came in 3rd to last and not get eliminated. I wish the double elimination was not announced. It should have been put in a random leg so the racers would always be up on their feet. It would've made it more interesting. I wish Ethan/Jenna lasted a few more episodes. My favorite is the father/son and I hope they win for it will be a first.

CCL

I thought he was the one who lost the clue? It didn't seem like it held them up that much anyways. And if they had read the sign at the orphanage they would have been safe. Anyhow, they are not married.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    I thought he was the one who lost the clue? It didn't seem like it held them up that much anyways. And if they had read the sign at the orphanage they would have been safe. Anyhow, they are not married.
    No, Jenna admitted leaving the clue behind, they had agreed it was her responsibility to keep up with the clues and such, and she recognized that as they were running to retrieve it.

It's hard to tell with editing how the timing goes in these things...sometimes what looks like a few minutes to us might actually be an hour The Powers That Be often don't want us to know that some of these races aren't as close as they appear - have to build the drama!

Thankfully, Ethan hasn't married Jenna. He still has a chance to get out clean
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

I wondered about the "extra clue" they were supposed to receive to help them find the next pit stop. The sign said that when they handed over all the money in their posession they would get an "extra clue". I didn't see anyone who handed over all their money given an "extra clue".

I'm almost positive the snowboarders were handed a standard clue card when they handed over their money. Like I said above, I remember them reading it and wondering how they were going to take a taxi to the Pit Stop when they no longer had any money to pay for it.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

+ Reply to Thread